News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

You can't have just Luchadors. . . [Additional Roles]

Started by Adam, August 15, 2002, 08:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

Well, it was a given that I would buy octaNe when I read the blurb - mexican wrestlers? Shit, any game that includes wrestlers is a-okay in my books, and if a game doesn't include them, you know I'll be working them in somehow . . .

I know the following roles don't completely fit the theme, but I'll want to write them down forever if I don't write them down now, so I'll get them out of the way. Jared - no cyberpunk/shadowrun stuff. I promise ;-)

Role: Traditional Canadian
Profile: The traditional Canadian struggles to regain yesteryears fame and respect in a world that has for the large part passed him by. With work dwindling in the Great White North he spends much of his time scrounging for work around Lost Vegas, New Texaco, or other areas where his talent is still used, if not appreciated. Failing that, he may open his own wrestling school to spread the tradition to those willing to learn.
Stamping Grounds: The Great White North or Anywhere he can find work
Quote: "If you do not respect my skills now, you will respect me after I make you submit!"
Mode: All but Grindhouse. But if you want to put him through a meat-grinder . . .
Gear: Plain wrestling tights, van with 100,000 miles on it
Styles: Might, Ingenuity, Craft
Skills: Wrestling like Stu Hart Showed Us, Keeping the Van Running, Restaurants Across the Continent, Teaching Kids the Real Way.

Role: Modern American Superstar!
Profile: The Modern American Superstar firmly believes that wherever he is, he's on stage, on TV, on Pay-Per View! [The fact that nobody has a TV doesn't seem to bother him very much, but he won't stop asking about the damned 'ratings'. . .] Larger than life and rarely at a loss for words, he doesn't have a problem telling anyone - en-ee-one - what he thinks of them, and that seems to make everyone like him even more. Especially those wrestling groupies.
Stamping Grounds: Lost Vegas, Shangri-La
Quote: "If I've told you once, I've told you a million times, there is nothing you can do about it! I will be the champion... or die trying!"
Mode: All, but mostly Psychotronic
Gear: Flashy wrestling gear, box of fireworks [gotta provide your own pyro], anabolic steroids
Styles: Charm, Daring
Skills: Telling People What To Think, Crash TV Wrestling, Emergency Clothing Repairs, Last Minute Booking

Role: Japanese Wrestler
Profile: Surrounded by his posse of ring-crew, the Japanese Wrestler has a dual purpose - first, to keep the Gaijen from invading the territory, and to reassure the Japanese public that no matter what, the evil sea monsters will not invade. A hero to his countryman, the Japanese Wrestler is as fond of the ceremony and worship as he is of kicking ass in the ring. Especially Gaijen ass . . . with a flaming barbed wire 2x4.
Stamping Grounds: Japan
Quote: Can anyone help me with this? I'm looking for, roughly, in japanese: "The White Man must be destroyed/defeated/vanquished/etc!"
Mode: Psychotronic
Gear: Wrestling Mask, Tights, and Cape.
Styles: Daring, Charm, Might
Skills: Stiff Wrestling, Running from Crazy Japanese Schoolgirls, Made Up Monster Wrangling, Savoring Sushi

Having designed my first roles on the fly, I think the main thing I'm finding a little sticky is matching the four Skills to the four primary Styles. However, since I'm pulling silly stuff that doesn't really mesh with the ultra-blender that is octaNe, I don't feel too bad about it. [/b]

Jared A. Sorensen

Haha! These are great...I love the Canadian wrassler.

The skills matching up with styles can be tough sometimes...I usually play it a bit fast and loose. More of a suggestion than anything else.

When I get the expanded octaNe site up and running I'll have a section for fan-based Roles and other stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah. I'd actually use the Japanese Superhero or Monster Smasher for the Japanese Wrestler...OR I'd just create a Sumo Wrestler Role.

The Styles kinda match up nicely with wrestling Roles:

Mexican Luchador: Daring
American Superstar: Charm
Canadian Grappler: Craft
Sumo Wrestler: Might

The only Styles that don't really "call" for their own wrestling style are Magic and Ingenuity.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com