News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Questions about tRoS combat

Started by Janne Halmetoja, August 21, 2002, 09:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janne Halmetoja

I ran fight with Combat Simulator (both had arming sword, small shield, full helm and plate everywhere else, strenght 7, combat pool was 13 excluding minuses from armor and shield). Some questions became in my mind because about after 20 "turns" nothing hasn't happened (only one glancing hit to knee). Do they shields break in tRoS? I almost all the time blocked hits and shields didn't broke even it took hits (a lot of them). How about swords? Do they break? How about combat fatigue? Guys hit each other with full plate mail and after 20 "turns" they still hit each other with same effect. How about "it easy to hit, but hard to not get hit"? There hadn't too many hits and most time guys blocked and parried hits quite easily which should be quite difficult in real life (specially parrying).

- Janne -

Mokkurkalfe

Many of these things are in the book, but not in the simulator.
Shields doesn't break, but there has been some discussion on that, and I assume it will be in tFoB. Same with swords.
Fatigue is an optional rule that says that you lose one die every EN rounds(EN*2 if yoy have light or no armor).
So after 20 turns your guys should(assuming an EN of 5) have lost 4 dice each.
Blocking is easy, as is parrying with most swords. Alot trickier with most of the mass weapons and pole-arms however.

With the equipment you described, I don't think anyone would win with the book either, unless one had alot higher EN. Otherwise they'll just get more and more tired, being less and less capable of penetrating the armor.
Arming swords just don't do a good job against plate.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Valamir

Mokk is absolutely right.  Arming Swords were knightly weapons from the age of mail which maintain their position as a status symbol throughout the knightly period.  They aren't very effective against full plate.  

But if you're talking about trying to injure someone in full plate...you'd be farther ahead with a STR+3+2 Pole Axe.  One good hit and it goes through plate like butter.  2 Successes is a Level 1, 6 is a level 5 with equivelent attributes.  Also has maneuvers like "Hook" which is quite nice for knocking the old boy down.

Janne Halmetoja

Thanks about comments. Of course it's hard to injury someone with plate mail and I just wanted to try what happens when both had plate mails and shiels. In my opinion those breaking rules should be in main book, because they're quite important things in combat. I don't know much about parrying with swords but I have tried knife and baton and I have to say it was hard to parry attacks. You don't know where the blow will hit and if someone hits fast, you have to be very fast reflexes to parry that. Blocking is of course easier, but there is no difference (in tRoS what I have understood) blocking with buckler and large shield (AV and CP penalties are different, that I know) or is there different defense TN numbers for different shields?

Mokkurkalfe

Some example Defense TN's:

Dagger: 7
Arming sword: 6
Quarterstaff: 6
Hand-axe: 8/10(1H or 2H)
Warflail: 16
Buckler: 7
Bigger shields: 5
Pole Axe: 7

Bigger shields also cover bigger areas(duh!). Useful against pesky arrows.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Janne Halmetoja

Thanks about info :). Gave me little more understanding about system. Quarterstaff has as good defensive TN value as Arming Sword... I think that with quarterstaff it is easier to parry (yes, I have tried quarterstaff too).

- Janne -

Lyrax

The quarterstaff in tRoS is probably different from the one you are familiar with.  The staff isn't used in a "half-staffing" position, it is held on the first quarter of the the staff, much like a spear.  This makes for a much longer range and LOTS of power on the thrust.  It's a little harder to parry, but much easier to kill, with such a weapon.
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

Janne Halmetoja

Brian Leybourne

I never bothered putting the fatigue rules into the combat sim, mostly because when I duel it seldom goes long enough for fatigue to make a difference :-) Maybe I'll throw them in there as an option when I do the next version, it's pretty easy to implement really.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Janne Halmetoja

Yes, please put the fatigue rules in the next version :).

Shadeling

Quote from: MokkurkalfeSome example Defense TN's:

Dagger: 7

Bigger shields also cover bigger areas(duh!). Useful against pesky arrows.

Actually the Rondel's Defense TN is 9 (the common sidearm for soldiers and such). The DTN you quoted is for a Poniard.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Jaif

If you want to hurt somebody in plate, yet still use a shield, get a mass weapon.  Axes, flails, warhammers, etc... are great for smashing the dickens out of turtles.

-Jeff

Lance D. Allen

QuoteIf you want to hurt somebody in plate, yet still use a shield, get a mass weapon. Axes, flails, warhammers, etc... are great for smashing the dickens out of turtles.

And it would be quite easy to be proficient.. If you max out at 8 (say, priority B in Proficiencies)in Sword and Shield you'll have another point to raise Mass Weapon and Shield to 7 from the default of -2. So be a S&S type, but keep a nasty little morning-star at your hip in case you ever find yourself meeting up with a "turtle". Plus the bleeding addition the morning-star gives.. Vera nasty after a round or two.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: JaifIf you want to hurt somebody in plate, yet still use a shield, get a mass weapon.  Axes, flails, warhammers, etc... are great for smashing the dickens out of turtles.

-Jeff

Or weapons that get bonuses versus hard armour, such as picks.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Jaif

Picks are mass weapons.

Mass weapons rock!

-Jeff