News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

RPGNow Plan for POD

Started by Michael Hopcroft, September 02, 2002, 08:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Hopcroft

RPGNow recently announced that it was taking a survey on whether there would be enough interest to justify them doing a Print-On=Demand business for the game products they retail. Essentially the customer would pay a $6-$8 surcharge (plus shiopping) and get a printed book (which RPGNow would print) with color covers and "2-sided" text pages.

Two questions immedately leapt to my mind.

1. What oif the publisher already had a version in print format?

2. Does the publisher get a cut on the extra charge to print the book?

While I'm in general a supporter of POD technology, I'd like to have these questions answered.
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

pigames

I am sure most e-publishers have already received the mailing from RPGNow, but they have announced that the POD would consist of photcopies or laser prints plus a color cover and with thermal fabric binding.

So, they ask if we would be interested. My response was: yes if the quality was adequate. After all, we are basically giving them the right to print and distribute our work at no cost. In theory I would not have a problem with this. But, I want my product to be represented in print with a certain degree of professionalism and quality.

I have serious reservations about giving them free reign to print my stuff. My further response was: I believe that each publisher should receive one printed sample for each product to verify that no errors are present and that it meets with my approval.

What was their response, you ask?

"If you want to pay the costs for doing so I have no problem. We're not
making money off this, just providing a service to keep us ahead of
the game."

I think that this is a great service, but if the quality is lacking it may turn iit nto a joke along with my work.

My $.02

Michael Hopcroft

That was kind of like the response I got -- and I never got the survey. I had to ask them. Apparently they think it will cost them $8 to photocopy and thermal-bind a 48-page book. They say there's no profit margin for them in there except that the custoimer buys from them instead of some other e-tailer.

THis is, in short, a benefit for them rather than a benefit for the publisher.

pigames

RPGNow also states that they will allow publishers to opt out of POD. I think I will not allow them to print my stuff until I hear back from other publishers.

Also, if someone wants a photocopy, I could get that done on my own or just get a few dozen done at once.

rpghost

The idea was to provide a cheap good looking print of a PDF for a customer to buy at cost. Somehow that point didn't get across or was just plain not taken very well by the vendors. The customers love it and I get several message a day begging for me to do this and they'll buy many more books... but since most of the big names go to print anyway, they are optting out of it. So that leaves the little guys - I'd like to help them out but it's not worth causing these hassles with the vendors for the small amount of sales of print books we'd generate (again, only at cost).

So in short, the idea will probably just stay that - an idea.

James
RPGHost Networks

Michael Hopcroft

James,

You should NOT get discouraged. If you explain things more clearly, work out the legal and ethical details, and show some benefit for the vendor, the vendors will come around and you will be able to pursue this.

I'd hate to see an advance in RPG technology (?) derailed completely because not everybody understands it.

Fnork de Sporg

I think the POD idea is a wonderful one. I mean, these are PDF products we're talking about. I think it should be the consumers choice, and I think it would be silly to deny the consumer that choice.

James, if anything I think the only thing wrong is the presentation of your idea, not the idea it self. If this idea never becomes reality, well, I think it would be a real loss, a missed opportunity. It would make me sad.
Everything everyone know is stupid.

The definition of Hubris is thinking you're better than Me.