Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 06:59:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 58 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Player Induced Rewards  (Read 2063 times)
Tim C Koppang

« on: July 21, 2001, 09:03:00 PM »

James V. West

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2001, 09:30:00 PM »

I've heard of systems that have a kind of "voting" method for doing something like this.

In my recent designs, I've been using this idea to a degree. In The Pool, players can give dice to other players at certain times, such as when they successfully gamble extra dice on a roll.

The one thing that keeps bugging me is the notion of players feeling singled-out or ignored. I wouldn't want to encourage that kind of behavior. I have a system in which a lot of voting takes place, but I don't like the idea that people know who voted what. I like it to be secret so that no feelings can get hurt, and people will vote how they really feel.

This is an idea that deserves exploration. Any player empowerment tactic is worth serious thought, in my opinion.

James V.

Tim C Koppang

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2001, 07:25:00 AM »

This Message was edited by: fleetingGlow on 2001-07-22 11:26 ]

Le Joueur

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2001, 06:27:00 AM »

Allow me to describe what we are considering in Scattershot (the game we are currently putting together).

fleetingGlow wrote:
James V. West wrote:
The one thing that keeps bugging me is the notion of players feeling singled-out or ignored. I wouldn't want to encourage that kind of behavior. I have a system in which a lot of voting takes place, but I don't like the idea that people know who voted what. I like it to be secret so that no feelings can get hurt, and people will vote how they really feel.

This is an idea that deserves exploration. Any player empowerment tactic is worth serious thought, in my opinion.
I envision a game where players all happily sit around and pass chips around, working together.  Thus they encourage creativity and work to keep others involved...Quote
Thoughts?  A bit of help please?

Fang Langford is the creator of Scattershot presents: Universe 6 - The World of the Modern Fantastic.  Please stop by and help!
Tim C Koppang

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2001, 03:36:00 PM »

Le Joueur

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2001, 09:10:00 AM »

fleetingGlow wrote:
I'm frustrated: I want awards to be handed out in-game, but don't know how to handle the silent ones.  Now I'll feel guilty for leaving someone out.Quote
I like the degree of success element.  In fact I enjoyed the whole d6 reward idea.Quote
It opens up a lot of room for games that don't want the characters abilities to improve greatly, but still want to keep a reward mechanic of some sort.

That was one of the things we liked best about it.  It really promotes localized style preferences.  (The text we include discusses how to arrive at those for each group.)

Improvement can be directed in a certain direction that doesn't have to follow the traditional, "my character gains an extra skill level."Quote

Fang Langford is the creator of Scattershot presents: Universe 6 - The World of the Modern Fantastic.  Please stop by and help!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: