News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A "indie games featured on the Forge forums" guide

Started by Christoffer Lernö, October 20, 2002, 11:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christoffer Lernö

I was surfing around on the indie game forums, and something struck me:
a) There might be a lot of good stuff here. In fact it most certainly is and
b) I don't have much of a clue what some of these games are about.

What I'd like to see is someone here posting a summary of these forums. I'd like to know is
a) what are the games about (genre and such)
b) and what are their special features - what makes them unique. I'd like to be able to judge if I should plunge in and start wading through the posts or not.

Could this be done? Maybe this is something the moderators for forums could take care of? Either as an announcement at the top of their forum or here. Ron and Clinton probably knows what works best.
formerly Pale Fire
[Yggdrasil (in progress) | The Evil (v1.2)]
Ranked #1005 in meaningful posts
Indie-Netgaming member

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

As far as actual, playable games are concerned, the Resource Library is what everyone is supposed to be using to provide links to (a) their own games and (b) any other independently-owned RPGs they can find.
Clinton and I have been trying to promote more active submissions to this service - which for my money is one of the most important at the Forge - with limited success.

Now, games in development are slightly more difficult to monitor - some titles have been announced at the Forge and evidently don't exist at all; others have been developed in detail over dozens of posts and don't have names; and anything in between. Keeping track of them isn't really feasible, although the hope is that people who know about provide internal forum links when discussing them is relevant.

Best,
Ron

Christoffer Lernö

I was thinking about an introduction to each of the "indpendent game forums" you have. Like "Scattershot is a game developed by.... aim is to create...." and so on.

A quick note on the Resource Library though. I submitted stuff one or two weeks ago but there still hasn't been any updates. That is what's putting me off from making more submissions. I don't know if this has been a problem before, but if it has been anywhere near that - it might not be so strange that people don't use it - as results takes so long to materialize.

If you and Clinton don't have time, maybe get someone else to admin it?
formerly Pale Fire
Indie-Netgaming member

Clinton R. Nixon

Re: Waiting on the Resource Library

My sincerest apologies. I've been unemployed for the last three weeks, and I seem to work on the Forge a lot more at work than not, it seems. I'm putting my nose back to the grindstone - in fact, I've just updated the library.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Christoffer Lernö

Thanks for updating Clinton. However, if you don't feel you have time to continously update things, maybe you should consider sharing the task with someone else. Like I said, I think that if additions take longer than a few days it will put a lot of people off.
formerly Pale Fire
Indie-Netgaming member

Mike Holmes

Each of the independent fora have links to the websites where the pertinent data can be found. Scattershot does not have one, but that is because it is entirely contained in the forum. There is nowhere else to look for other information on Scattershot, if I'm not mistaken. So you can't get a better idea of what it's about than by reading the posts there. I suppose Fang could post a sticky post at the top of that forum with a statement of his intent or something (and may in fact have). But it's his forum. If you think he needs something there, tell him so.

Other than that, I can't see a reason to burden this site any more than it is with details of our games. We have the resource library, and our own fora with links to our websites. That's not enough?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.