News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Hooking the players across the model

Started by Jack Spencer Jr, July 31, 2001, 10:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Spencer Jr

In the Set up time thread on this forum I've mentioned a judgement issue I've been having, for many reasons.  Here's a major one.

There have been techniques to hook the players discussed else where here at The Forge, the only one I've managed to get a handle on at this time being Premise.  Such technique are the mark of a more sophisticated RPG and fixes some of the problems I've noticed in actual play.  

Namely how I quickly get bored waiting for my turn.  Amazing how completely dull a game can be.

The idea behind these player hooking tools is it keeps the players interested in the proceeding even when it's not their turn or even if their character isn't even there.

However, most of the examples I've seen here have been Narrativist example.  Hardly surprising since most here at The Forge seem to be experimenting with or are narrativist in sense or another.

So, how does one hook the players across the model?

Premise seems to be a distinctly Narrativist tool, but that may be my misunderstanding of it.  How would it be use in a gamist or simulationist style?

BTW, are there other such hooking tools?  (referal to other threads via PM would be fine)

joshua neff

QuoteGamists and Simulationists (using r.f.g.a definitions here) don't need hooks. They provide their own.

Brian, could you elaborate on that? How are gamist & simulationist players different than narrativist, in not needing hooks? What hooks do they provide that narrativist players presumably aren't? What hooks are they providing?
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Jack Spencer Jr

Brian,

paraphrasing to see if I'm getting what you're saying.

The hook for the Gamist is the act of playing the game, the challenges to overcome, etc.  Therefore, a gamist will pay attention even when their character isn't involved because what is going on will effect the group (losing one party member will effect what challenges the group can overcome) possibly even, but certainly not limited to (and possibly disallowed) aiding the player whose character is involved a la celebrity millionaire.  Helping the less skilled players learn more skill.  (well, maybe not that.)

The simulationist OTOH doesn't have no hooks per se as the reality of the situation is the hook.  Reality being highly subjective, of course.  Being in a world where magic works is the hook for the simulationist, to give a broad example.

Or am I misreading you?