News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TMW:COTEC - Why You SHOULD Care (Long) (updated)

Started by RobMuadib, November 04, 2002, 11:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

Just a note, Rob, to follow up on Emily's question. We find in play that occasionally no player wants to take on a certain role. For example, in framing the upcoming scene, we had to include a rule about what happens if nobody bids for it. Which happens all the time. In Universalis, the player to the left of the player who ended the scene has to pick up framing the next scens if nobody bids.

This sort of rule is to keep continuity in the game. What happens in your game if nobody buys the Narration Guide for a scene? What happens if nobody volunteers for a particular position.

Also, you seem to assume that some of your positions will be filled, but only one person will volunteer. That seems unlikely. What happens if more than one player volunteers for a particular role? Who gets it?

In general terms, to streamline things, I'd make the rules regarding the guide positions as univeersal as possible, the difference being not the rules surrounding the position, but what it controls. So I'd have one method for determining who is in a position at a given time (including what happens if more than one player wants it, or none want it). And one method for how they make determinations. And one method for how those determinations can be overruled.

The way I see it now, it seems like a guide can make a ruling, and then playeers can challenge the rulings. That's pretty cool. But just make sure that it's clear that any ruling can be challenged. Otherwise, it looks like one can challenge something that the Setting Guide let in, but not something that he excluded. Or do you wnat to have particular positions have certain absolute veto powers? I can see that, too; it just needs to be explicit if that's the case.

BTW, I'd expand the explicit power of the Play Guide. In Universalis, we considered having a position called First Player. A sort of "less than GM" participant who's only real additional power was the ability to keep play moving, and direct traffic. Something like a Speaker at an assembly. I think with your system, it would be very cool iand probably very effective, if that sort of power were explicitly invested in a single player. He'd be allowed to do stuff like "call for order" and the like (presumably he'd also act as his own Sergeant at Arms should the need arise to kick ass ;-)  ), and generally have the authority to force players to do their job. Essentially I'm suggesting that the Play Guide have explicit powers such as you'd find in Robert's Rules of Order, instead of just the traditional casual authority that you find residing with the GM in most RPG play.

Here's an example of what I think a sample of play would look like:
The Play Guide runs the purchase of the Narration Guide position for a scene, and then cedes the floor to him. Then another player wants to interrupt with a script, he raises his hand, and at an opportune pause, the Play Guide recognizes that player. That player then states a rules objection. The Play Guide refers this to the Rules Guide who makes a ruling. The Play Guide then runs the voting on the subsequent cahllenge of the Rules Guide's ruling. Then he cede's the floor back to the Narration Guide. A further interruption happens, and a player is recognized by the Play Guide, and purchases a script for the scene. The play Guide monitors his length, and oince this is finished, the Play Guide again turns the scene back over to the Narration Guide. When the Narration Guide closes the scene, the Play Guide then orchestrates the next Scene's purchase.

Sounds very formal, but it appeals to me quite a bit. By making one player responsible for keeping things going you can remain very focused (its up to the social committee chairperson to call for breaks at the appropriate time :-)  ).

It's a very cool idea to distribute these duties out amongst the players. One thing that I think you've overstacked, however, is the job of recording. If that job falls to the Narrative Guide, and that job rotates as each player Narrates, then that tmeans that not only does that player control the scene, but also has to record it simultaneously. We've noted in Universalis, how this is a distraction, and not a good idea. What I suggest is that the "Secretary" position rotate as often as the Narrative Guide does. In fact, since this is a sort of minor power (more of a responsibility, really), I suggest that it be automatically assigned. Something like the player seated to the left of the current Narrator Guide is always the Secretary (this would facilitate the secretary whispering questions to the Narration Guide if need be). Alternatively some masochistic player might volunteer for the role, and that's fine as well; however, if/when he becomes the Narrative Guide, he should have someone to pass the duty off to so he is not distracted.

In fact, you might want to consider that the Narration Guide should pass off most of his other positions temporarily while he remains the Narration Guide. I'm envisioning little placcards with the positions name on the front, and a list of duties and powers on the back for each role. Such that on transfer of the role, all that need be done is transfer the placcard in order to avoid confusion about who is who.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Emily Care

Quote from: Mike HolmesI'm envisioning little placcards with the positions name on the front, and a list of duties and powers on the back for each role. Such that on transfer of the role, all that need be done is transfer the placcard in order to avoid confusion about who is who.
Rob, I'd recommend doing this. Graphic representation of who is doing what will help keep the division of powers straight. Being able to have quick reference for what you can do and how would help folks out who perhaps have never gm'd, and perhaps keep those who have done so, in check.  :)

--Emily Care
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

RobMuadib

Mike

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I would seem the best thing to do is write up a draft How to Play chapter. Indicating the roles and how things are done. The Nomenar system, etc. I appreciate your suggestions, and making the assumptions that I have thus far worked on explicit is a very good idea. Also thanks for the round table rule of assigning Guide positions by default. As well as the Play Guide ideas. As I said, going to start on a how to play chapter next.

Emily

Hey, thanks for your suggestion as well. Thinking of it, It would seem instead of a placard, per se, just use 3 by 5 cards, with Guide Position Written on front, and duties/powers on back. (This will fit well with poker chips for nomenar.)

Other idea I had along this line, is that when a player is acting within a Guide position, he could hold up his Guide Role Card to officiate. When the roles change, the Cards change hands as well. This "Carding" (think Soccer) behavior would support the shared play concept. Since the "power" of the card goes to whoevers holding it as it were, rather than someone holding all the cards, like say your traditional GM. (Well, at least it seems clever for explanation purposes:) ).

Thanks for your input guys, now just do to start a new draft.
Rob Muadib --  Kwisatz Haderach Of Wild Muse Games
kwisatzhaderach@wildmusegames.com --   
"But How Can This Be? For He Is the Kwisatz Haderach!" --Alyia - Dune (The Movie - 1980)