News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

win by losing?

Started by Jared A. Sorensen, November 15, 2002, 04:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared A. Sorensen

I was going to post this in my own forum but I think it belongs here. The idea I had is partly inspired by the mechanics in octaNe and InSpectres.

The concept is this: the player put numeric scores into various areas (like octaNe's Styles) but also chooses how those points are earned. In other words, I put 2 points into "Physical" and tick of "Failure" -- this means that when I gain narrative control and have my character fail at some kind of physical endeavor, I earn 2 points. So he's a bumbling, clumsy dude, but still earns points to be used later on (whether immediately like octaNe Plot Points or after the game ends like InSpectres). Of course, you can also choose to tick off "Success."

That works with some other ideas I've had, like betting whether you'll succeed or fail at a certain roll...or wagering some kind of expendable resource and rolling vs. taking a straight "win" using a Karma resolution system.

So the idea is out there now...comments?
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Mike Holmes

Absolutely. I've commented that I've seen a system sorta like this but more general somewhere out there in the vast internet. In that system, any failure that you chose gave you plot points or the like for later. My "Final Fight" system is similar in that the PC always wins unless the player says he fails. This gets him points. Essentially, the PCs can't get to the final fight with Mr. Big until they accumulate enough points.

What you propose just seems to be a much more refined version of the concept. Applied to your designs, Jared, it should work excellently, I'd think.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jared A. Sorensen

I'll post some system stuff in my forum -- came up with a nifty for the furry 50's game.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com