News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Who's playing Dust Devils?

Started by Matt Snyder, November 27, 2002, 10:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Snyder

You know, I get lots of feedback about Dust Devils being a good idea, or doing something different. That's very encouraging.

I hear little to NO feedback on ACTUALY PLAY of Dust Devils. That's very discouraging.

Why is this? Is it that you "can't get your group to play?" Dust Devils is eminently playable -- it is not a thought experiment. So, why am I hearing about so few (read: practically none) actual play sessions of the game?

If any body out there has or -- better yet -- IS playing the game, let's hear about it!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Clay

Sorry about the lack of posts.  Getting married recently killed my gaming time, what with preparing for and recovering from the event. There's a likely game coming up though, as a celebration of a fine bottle of whiskey given me by a friend.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Matt Snyder

Quote from: ClaySorry about the lack of posts.  Getting married recently killed my gaming time, what with preparing for and recovering from the event. There's a likely game coming up though, as a celebration of a fine bottle of whiskey given me by a friend.

Fantastic, Clay. No need to apologize. I meant that "call to arms" simply encouragement for folks to share their play experiences and thereby encourage others who have the game to go out and PLAY it! So, enjoy that whiskey.

And congratulations on getting married!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

edomaur

Quote from: Matt SnyderI hear little to NO feedback on ACTUALY PLAY of Dust Devils. That's very discouraging.
Sorry, the fact is that I haven't had the time to play Dust Devils more than one time. I've a group ready and eager to play, but until next week, no time to play.

For the one time, it was great. In fact, I set up a poker tornament like the one in Maverick with the 5 players the winners of the last table. But no one win, as they begin to shoot themselves :)

Much fun, and quietly confusing.

The rules for the poker were simple. We used the Deadlands decks for these, face up, and the real Dust Devils hands for setting up how the play turns. In fact, I let the players setting the games as they want, then we used DD to cast what it happened.

Best moment : one player win, but another had the best card. Instead of letting the winner use the best hand, he said that the NPC player with that hand died of an attack failure and so failed to challenge the bluff of the real player. It's difficult for me to translate in english the whole argument, but it was really fun and completely absurd.

A good game that devil of yours !
Antoine Boegli
production manager
2d Sans Faces, société coopérative
http://www.2dsansfaces.com

Adam

I'm hoping that my new group can run a few sessions of it in the new year, but between my new job [sold out to the non-indie game world... ;-)] and holiday plans for this winter, I don't have any spare time to devote to it at the moment. :(

Matt Snyder

Quote from: edomaur
Sorry, the fact is that I haven't had the time to play Dust Devils more than one time. I've a group ready and eager to play, but until next week, no time to play.

For the one time, it was great. In fact, I set up a poker tornament like the one in Maverick with the 5 players the winners of the last table. But no one win, as they begin to shoot themselves :)

Good to hear you had a good, if silly, time playing! This is something that happens occasionally with the game -- some absurd, yet entirely entertaining situations result. Several Forge members (Jason Blair, Todd Luikart, Ralph Mazza, Jake Norwood, and Seth Ben-Ezra, and myself I believe) had one of the rip-roarin'est, knee-slappin' times with the game during GenCon.

Also, I recall watching Maverick with the wife while re-writing the game. It's actually a darned entertaining movie, and a glimpse at how Dust Devils could apply -- even the Devil mechanic -- to humorous situations. Maverick is pretty clearly driven by a Devil (take your pick, but it could easily be "Must test himself in the ultimate game of poker, no matter the cost"). Jody Foster's character might be the same, or it could be "Consummate Liar". It just goes to show that they're driven by something that raises the question of whether they'll cheat, lie and gamble, or pursue love and honesty (not likely!).

Anyway, that in-game poker game sounds like a hoot!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Jason L Blair

RE: Maverick

Wow, there are plenty of Devils in that film. I think that Jodie, Mel, and James all have the same base Devil, however: The need to come out on top.

Huh. That's about all I have to post really but now I'm starting to examine non-Western movies along the DD line. Interesting.
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Jason L Blair
Wow, there are plenty of Devils in that film.
Graham Green's character's Devil: Use Ancestry to Bilk Dumb White Guys. :-)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.