News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Misanthropy and game design

Started by MK Snyder, November 29, 2002, 11:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James V. West

I've seen plenty of examples of kids who are less popular for whatever reason identifying strongly with Harry Potter and using terminology from the books--specifically calling everyone else "muggles". I think we can trace this kind of behavior into any kind of marginalized group. I used to be a huge metalhead in high school and I constantly ragged against pop-rock and teeny-bopper music. I honestly thought my music was cooler, smarter, and better.

Take a good look at all the wonderfully academic and quite involving discussion that's going on here at The Forge. I'm one of the least involved people in theory discussion but when I try to talk to someone outside this community about ideas discussed within it, I get blank stares. It would be easy for me to start thinking I'm somehow smarter, somehow involved in a higher arena of thought. But then again, I don't know squat about advanced mathematics. If a mathematician started talking shop to me I'm sure at some point I'd have a blank stare.

Irmo

Quote from: JSDiamond

As far as the somewhat off-topic "America isn't the world" list, I submit:
1. It should be.
2. North American outlets provide the best business model and a worthy goal (by sheer volume) to figure out and use (from a distribution and profit standpoint).  What shall I consider?  The distros in Tibet?  

You might consider that the EU is the bigger market, for example. Of course, then you'd have to realize that you'd have to compete with original RPGs rooted in the individual cultural peculiarities of such countries. Um, and "America isn't the world-It should be", you would be unlikely to generate major sales.

Totally aside from selling there, however, you might use careful observation of those markets to learn something about the market in the US. What things are different there, why are they different? What is the public acceptance? Is it better? Worse? If so, what factors contribute to that and how can you use them to increase public acceptance, which you can translate into sales, of your products.

JSDiamond

Irmo,
I was mainly responding to the acidic tone of "America is not the world" comment.  I do understand that the EU is the larger market.  But IMO it's not one cohesive whole, it's still divided by culture and borders and I am simply speaking from the belief that indie game designers/publishers (no matter where you live in the world) should look toward the American market as a worthy goal (like many artists, musicians, clothing designers, etc.)  Making it 'over here' holds up.  It's still *the* plateau that many people of other countries reach for.        

For myself (living in the U.S.) my only care publishingwise is marketing in the U.S.  I am not concerned about international sales.  How absurd of me to do so!  I'm a one man operation, from writing to illustrating.  My practice is 'do the work' before making grand plans for world conquest.  

I do apologize for causing any offense and going off topic.
JSDiamond

Irmo

Quote from: JSDiamond
For myself (living in the U.S.) my only care publishingwise is marketing in the U.S.  I am not concerned about international sales.  How absurd of me to do so!  I'm a one man operation, from writing to illustrating.  My practice is 'do the work' before making grand plans for world conquest.  

I understand that and had no intention to question it. However, I think that as I pointed out, studying the other market as to what's similar and what's different can even help you with domestic sales.

contracycle

So, I would just like to point out that English is spoken far beyond the borders of the USA, and at the very least is this is the distribution of your potential audience.  Becuase America is not the world.  But feel free to shoot yourself in the foot.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci