News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Motion rights?

Started by C. Edwards, November 30, 2002, 10:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Edwards

This may seem like a silly question, all I can ask is that you indulge me.

In the CCG Magic: The Gathering, one of the main aspects of game play is "tapping" the cards; turning them sideways to show they have been used or otherwise neutralized.  Now, WoTC has the rights to all the mechanical aspects of the game, including the "tapping".  What I'm wondering is if this is term specific, where a game could have players turn the cards sideways for essentially the same purpose without referring to the motion as "tapping" and therefore dodge the legal ire of WoTC/Hasbro/whoever.  Also, if this was the only aspect at all similar to M:TG (the hypothetical game not being what most would even consider a "card game") would it still be an issue, assuming the motion wasn't referred to as "tapping"?

-Chris

Ron Edwards

Hi Chris,

Oddly enough, precisely this situation existed in the mid-90s, regarding the card game On the Edge, the CCG companion to the role-playing game Over the Edge, published by Atlas Games.

To become active (attack, etc), a card in On the Edge was turned sideways exactly as in Magic, but it was referred to as "cranked," not "tapped."

I think some investigation and perhaps some emails would yield a direct, specific, and historical answer to your question. John Nephew, I imagine, would be forthcoming about the issue if approached with courtesy, unless there's some legal reason not to be.

Best,
Ron

C. Edwards

Thanks much for the reply Ron.  The issue is definitely a convoluted one.

-Chris