News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Driftwood Project Progress Report

Started by Jake Norwood, December 02, 2002, 06:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Norwood

Okay, we've got a handful of project currently, and I thought I'd let all you guys know where we're at with each of them.

1) Of Beasts and Men - This is obvioiusly our first priority. We're collecting art (still) and preparing layouts and final editing. Expect it either here and on shelves in March (maybe April in your FLGS). Softcover. 128+ pages. Lots and lots of high-quality art.

2) A Hint at the Riddle (TROS QS Rules) - Playtesting is essentially finished (I need your reports, guys), and we'll be editing and doing layouts. I want this up before X-mas.

3) More Player Aids - There's a Chargen program, a damage table program, revised Master-Screen inserts and character sheet stuff, not to mention some really cool maneuver Quick Ref Cards...all going up this week or next.

4) Revamped Website - I'm really not sure why this is taking so long...expect it up sooner or later. I'll be tidying up the existing site more for now, along with the Player Aids next week.

5) Sorcery and the Fey - This one's been sort-of put on a back-burner at present. We're amassing copious notes for the Fey Section, and this Forum has been an excellent sounding board for the Sorcery section. I want to release these as seperate PDFs early next year and later as a combined print supplement.

6) The Flower of Battle - Summer, guys...summer.

7) Non-TROS stuff from Driftwood - Okay, so this is going to be more for fun than anything else, but I'd *love* to finish some of my other game designs and PDF them for cheap or for free. Those'll include THIRST, our controversial (I guess...) vampire game, Gods of War, my blow-the-hell-out-of-everything action game, and The Fires of Heaven, an angelic setting for Clinton Nixon's Paladin. They'll be done when they're done.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Spooky Fanboy

Quote5) Sorcery and the Fey - This one's been sort-of put on a back-burner at present. We're amassing copious notes for the Fey Section, and this Forum has been an excellent sounding board for the Sorcery section. I want to release these as seperate PDFs early next year and later as a combined print supplement.

NOOOOOO!!!!! Must have NOW, my precioussss!! Need more information on Spells, options on Vagaries, ways to turn aside the curse of Aging, must know if the nutjob in charge of Gelure really isss Dark Betrayer, musst know more about Fey and Siehe! *gollum*

Just letting you know, some of us want those magic rules...
Proudly having no idea what he's doing since 1970!

Jake Norwood

Well, Fanboy, that *was* spooky...

I've mentioned a few of the reasons for setting SatF back a little elsewhere on the forum (but I'm notoriously bad about posting links to stuff). Basically, we'd *like* to have it ready earlier, but it didn't turn out that way. You will find a lot of fascinating (and cool, and inane, and frustrating, and over-the-top) discussion of sorcery here. Have fun digesting it all.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Irmo

Quote from: Jake NorwoodWell, Fanboy, that *was* spooky...

I've mentioned a few of the reasons for setting SatF back a little elsewhere on the forum (but I'm notoriously bad about posting links to stuff). Basically, we'd *like* to have it ready earlier, but it didn't turn out that way. You will find a lot of fascinating (and cool, and inane, and frustrating, and over-the-top) discussion of sorcery here. Have fun digesting it all.

Jake

Need TFOB and SatF, umh, like,  yesterday! Will stop at nothing! Will take any means necessary! ;)

Mokkurkalfe

Great!

I'm looking forward to the QS rules, so that my lazy players perhaps can learn the rules a little...

Be careful with The Fires of Heaven though. Robert Jordan has written a book with the exact same name, and he can probably afford som kickass laywers.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Rattlehead

Quote from: Jake NorwoodYou will find a lot of fascinating (and cool, and inane, and frustrating, and over-the-top) discussion of sorcery here. Have fun digesting it all.
Jake

"Over the top"??? This wouldn't be a reference to the thread about using magic as a thermonuclear device and destroying the world with a rock would it?

LOL

Brandon
Grooby!

Stephen

Quote from: MokkurkalfeBe careful with The Fires of Heaven though. Robert Jordan has written a book with the exact same name, and he can probably afford some kickass laywers.

I don't think you can actually sue for the simple use of identical titles unless the original is so well-known, unique and distinctive that any re-use cannot be held to be a reasonable duplication of ideas.  The Fires of Heaven was a fairly common phrase before Jordan used it, and I'm pretty sure was the title of at least one other book before his.

On the other hand, the Tolkien estate could probably sue me if I tried to call my book about a fan club for telephone noises The Fellowship of the Ring.

Besides, Jordan's making enough money from WoT that he'll have no need to sue a small independent over a .PDF supplement.
Even Gollum may yet have something to do. -- Gandalf

Jake Norwood

Quote from: MokkurkalfeBe careful with The Fires of Heaven though. Robert Jordan has written a book with the exact same name, and he can probably afford some kickass laywers.

Not to mention that there isn't even a drop of similarity between the two books (his and mine). That also frees me from any such violations.

As an addendum to the above list, I forgot to mention the errata sheet, which will also be going up with the player aids.

Jake

prophet118

hey, i had a question about the master screen...

well the tri fold thing listed over at... i think citizingames (or something like that) shows room for 6 pages... well only 1 of the pages from the master screen thing is a pic (im currently downloading the other pics).. thats 5 pages of info... im guessing at least 2 pages would go on the outside?

or do you know if they have the D20 style screens..... that have 4 panels, and room for 8 pages... i looked for some stuff, but they seemed to only have the tri fold, and they were out of stock
"Congratulations you have won, its a years subscription of bad puns.."

Check out my art site! http://prophet118.deviantart.com
Wanna Buy a Poster?  http://www.deviantprints.com/~prophet118/

Jake Norwood

I personally put the 2 sorcery pages on the outside of mine, so that PC sorcerers can get to it quick. I also tend to use mine as a quick reference more than a screen, as I generally have nothing to hide behind the screen (rolling my dice in public, for example, scares the hell out of players 'cause they know I can't cheat).

AFAIK, they only come in 3-panel version.

Oh, and we have a new masterscreen download that'll be up soon, and which is about 3 Meg smaller.

Jake

prophet118

that'd be nice...lol, course i still havent finished the extra pictures thing... good thing im using getright

i just hope they hjave some screens soon, im probably going to get one fairly quickly....

i also dont use them to hide my dice, i tend to use them alot for quick reference, especially for things that are a pain to find.... like finding the poison saves, for d20 games.....lol

or the amount of damage a peice of paper can take before it croaks.....lol

Jake Norwood

Update:

The QS Rules are done. We're having some idiotic problems with Adobe and the Fonts that's slowing us down, but if we fix that the final thing (version 1.0) will be up tonight or tomorrow. Hurrah.

Jake

prophet118

Stephen

Quote from: prophet118what exactly does QS mean?

Quickstart.  Abbreviated version of the main rules that work basically as a teaser to get people interested in/hooked on the main product.  Also useful as sort of a "training wheels" for the full-out system.

Looking forward to seeing these myself.  :)
Even Gollum may yet have something to do. -- Gandalf

prophet118

i shoulda figured thats what it meant...lol

well hopefully it does help get people addicted....lol