News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Flight

Started by RamblingMan, December 03, 2002, 07:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamblingMan

So, should flight be an ability?  And when should it be tested?  Should flying chars be forced to roll every time they want to fly?  Esp. with the level + 3 limit, I can see this leading to a lot of fumbled attempts at flight when it should come naturally.  But making it work all the time kinda clashes with the design...
RamblingMan

jdagna

I would make flight work just like running and jumping.  

That is, I assume all characters can walk, jog or run pretty well under simple circumstances.  I wouldn't want an Adroitness test every minute of walking.  However, if you want to outrun the oncoming barbarian hordes, jump over a river or navigate slippery tile, you're going to have to make a test.  Abilities like "Fast Running" or "Very Balanced" are going to help.

In Flight, I would have the ability be an automatic success if you just want to go from point A to point B.  But if you want to do it quickly, or there are tough winds or lots of branches in the way, a test is definitely called for.
Justin Dagna
President, Technicraft Design.  Creator, Pax Draconis
http://www.paxdraconis.com

Clinton R. Nixon

Justin's got it right, although that might could have been explained better in the rules.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

RamblingMan

Something to take note of for 2nd edition... ;-)

This is about what I expected, and would've done, based on playing Cthulhu so much, but in this age of "target numbers" I wanted to make sure I wasn't twisting the rules around too much (I hate to do that, it always comes back to bite me...)
RamblingMan