News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Insight Question

Started by prophet118, December 06, 2002, 03:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prophet118

ok... when you get enough to have extra priorities with characters... like say you had 3 extra A's, would you get: A,A,A,A,E,F or A,A,A,A,B,C,D,E,F

i think its the first one, because there just isnt that much stuff to spend on...lol

i just need confirmation really...the book doesnt really say... unless i misread a section
"Congratulations you have won, its a years subscription of bad puns.."

Check out my art site! http://prophet118.deviantart.com
Wanna Buy a Poster?  http://www.deviantprints.com/~prophet118/

Mokkurkalfe

How about A,A,A,A,B,C? Or, more exactly, you get the second alternative, but most people would only use the six first ones.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

prophet118

LMFAO, Oy what was i thinking, that should teach me to post at 2 am...i meant what you said..lol... that yes is gives you extra priorities... not sure why i didnt have B and C as the last thing though..heh

my real question about them comes from my wife... basically what kind of system is this... how does playing one character for a long time, and really well, reflect how you play your next.... i understand getting insight rewards... but when you use them are they totally spent... and furthermore, you get to spend them on a character who at creation hasnt done anything to deserve "the better life"......i guess its just a weird concept to me

Mokkurkalfe

Well, your previous character is either dead or not interesting anymore, so it would be pointless to use the Insight rewards on him.
It is a little weird, but still a good idea. Some players don't like to go from their mighty and powerful hero to a relatively weak new character.
OTOH, if they *do* want to begin with a weak character, then they can just lower their priorities. Extremely simple.
It also makes it possible for richer characters and elves to be as strong, smart and trained as a poor human. This can't be done with a no-Insight-character, even though it should be the other way around.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

prophet118

well, yeh... we are just going from another system where they have some similiar (sorta but not really)...

the old mechanic for it was that you basically saved you character, like a computer game... except that it wasnt the same.. when he died, you had to have another copy of the character, with a new name, and without the same equipment... same stats and skills, but cant be the same name or have the same equipment (mainly from a magical standpoint)..

i had to alter that, because that was just cheesy in a roleplaying game...........now its just a simple resurrection by the gods...lol

Irmo

Quote from: prophet118well, yeh... we are just going from another system where they have some similiar (sorta but not really)...

the old mechanic for it was that you basically saved you character, like a computer game... except that it wasnt the same.. when he died, you had to have another copy of the character, with a new name, and without the same equipment... same stats and skills, but cant be the same name or have the same equipment (mainly from a magical standpoint)..

i had to alter that, because that was just cheesy in a roleplaying game...........now its just a simple resurrection by the gods...lol

As I told Jake a while ago, the french RPG "Reve de Dragon", recently e-published in English as "Reve:The Dream Ouroboros" has a similar concept, but one needs to keep in mind that all characters are really just bits of fanatasy of a dreaming dragon ;) In any way, it is said that if a character dies, the dragon wakes up (nice philosophical question which is cause and which effect). After a while, however, it will fall asleep again, and like we often reuse personalities in different roles, will start dreaming the personality again, but under different circumstances, general appearance etc remain the same, but the personality, skills etc. change. The new character startles awake, vague remembering dreaming that she died.... However, since all the past dreams are still lurking around somewhere in the dragon's subconscious, occasionally, especially under stress, some bits and pieces of knowledge of previous 'incarnations' will come back. For that, the skills of all incarnations are recorded on an archetype sheet, and the character might occasionally improve skills she knew better in past incarnations by 'remembering' knowledge from then.

Unlike insight points, however, if I remember correctly a number of archetype skill ranks are assigned at character creation for previous 'incarnations' so as not to disadvantage new players too much.

Brian Leybourne

The simplest way to look at it (IMO) is this:

In level based games such as D&D, when a player dies do you (as GM) make him start a 1st level character again, or do you let him make up a new character of a similar level as the rest of the group?

If you're in the first camp, drop insight and he starts a new character with ABCDEF. If you're in the second camp, insight is the best (only?) way to ensure he starts with a similar power level to the rest of the group.

Hey Jake, when a character dies and a new one gets re-rolled do you zero insight again or keep building on the old tally? Yes, I know, it's our game etc etc, but I'm actually asking how YOU do it. Just curious.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Jake Norwood

Quote from: BrianLHey Jake, when a character dies and a new one gets re-rolled do you zero insight again or keep building on the old tally? Yes, I know, it's our game etc etc, but I'm actually asking how YOU do it. Just curious.

I kill the player and then spread his blood around as I summon a replacement.

Actually I usually re-set insight with every character, but YMMV.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Jake Norwood
Quote from: BrianLHey Jake, when a character dies and a new one gets re-rolled do you zero insight again or keep building on the old tally? Yes, I know, it's our game etc etc, but I'm actually asking how YOU do it. Just curious.

I kill the player and then spread his blood around as I summon a replacement.

Riiiiiight... maybe I wont take that trip to Utah after all... :-)

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Jake Norwood

You know, Brian, a spot just opened up...I could summon you...

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

Oh, so a FREE trip to Utah? Yeah, that's worth the risk :-)
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com