News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

This woke me up and kept me from going back to sleep

Started by Jared A. Sorensen, August 10, 2001, 08:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared A. Sorensen

"The Sorcerer's Song"
aka
"Scream for me, Los Angeles!"

Sorcerers are musicians.
Demons are either passers (groupies, roadies, boy/girlfriends) or objects (instruments or affectations).

Humanity is popularity.

Humanity 0 = Burn out and drop out of sight (your career is effectively "over")
Humanity 10 = Burn up in a blaze of glory (you die from a drug overdose, in a car wreck or the mothership returns to earth)

Ah, I'm still not awake yet. Discuss...
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Bailywolf

And what about the blues world... deals with the devil have always been part of the blues myth.

Sultry Nights, Black Magic, and Music hotter than the fires of hell.

Uncle Dark

I've always had a theory that Jim Morrison died 'cause he was channelling Dionysos without proper controls or awareness.  He couldn't handle the amps being pumped through his spirit.

Interesting idea, Jared, though I (personally) would be mroe likely to allow it as a PC than run it as a game.

Lon
Reality is what you can get away with.

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

I'm with Lon on this one, in terms of play - for Sorcerer, it sounds more like a character concept than a game/overall Premise concept. Seems to me that a whole game about Rock 'n Roll, fame, passion, and so on could well be done on its own without recourse to the demonics/sorcery metaphor at all.

I'm given to understand something is in the works along those lines anyway.

As for the Jim Morrison issue, I beg of everyone not to leap into a big pop-culture debate about the guy. At least not in the forums.

Best,
Ron

gentrification

Demons are either passers (groupies, roadies, boy/girlfriends) or objects (instruments or affectations).

Enh. How about:

Demons are the songs themselves.

[ This Message was edited by: gentrification on 2001-08-13 19:11 ]
Michael Gentry
Enantiodromia

Bailywolf

Demon Songs!  I friggin love this!  Musicians are Possessed by their music... hell, this could make an insane campaign!

The group is an indy band trying to break into a recording industry even more corrupt than in the real world...

They stumble onto a subculture of sorcerer song writers who provide starting bands with demon-songs to possess them... but in exchange for the classic Devil's Deal...  Imagine what the Elvis's 'manager' sold him!

Music politics meets occult underground.  This is choice.  Very choice.

Mike Holmes

On 2001-08-10 12:50, Ron Edwards wrote:
Hi there,

I'm with Lon on this one, in terms of play - for Sorcerer, it sounds more like a character concept than a game/overall Premise concept. Seems to me that a whole game about Rock 'n Roll, fame, passion, and so on could well be done on its own without recourse to the demonics/sorcery metaphor at all.

What, you're telling Jared he can't write an incredibly specific Roleplaying game? That's like telling a crack addict not to light up.

Personally, I'm waiting for Jared to finish his RPG about English Canal Barge Operators. Its got this really cool mechanic called sediment....

Mike Holmes
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.