News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Spike, arrow, and rapier damage

Started by MrGeneHa, December 09, 2002, 04:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrGeneHa

Hey all, this is just my take on weapon damage.  Disclaimer:  I don't modern fence, historical sword fight, SCA, and haven't made any special study of wounds and penetration.

Anyhoo, after reading discussions on rapier damage [see "TROS Weapon Statistics (ATN, DTN, & Damage)" and "Qualities of Real Weapons"], and studying the damage tables WAY too much, I think there should be ANOTHER damage table.  This would be a very optional House Rule.

(I can hear the boos and catcalls already.  After all, why make something simple and elegant into Rulemaster?).

In trying to make a realistic set of rules for the rapier, you need to give it an Armor Penalty, higher damage for torso and head shots, and lower damage for thrusts to the limbs.

It strikes me that a lot of weapons would make the same type of wounds.  They skewer, but they don't do a lot of slashing on the way in.  Narrow headed arrows, polearm spikes, narrow headed spears and pikes, estocs, small swords, rondels, stilletoes, the infamous kung fu thrown chopstick and hair pin ; )

A Skewer or Spike Damage Table would have these qualities:

1) High damage to the head and torso because of the many internal organs to pierce.  Medium damage to the throat.  Low damage to limbs.

2)  Very high pain and shock numbers, until the weapon is removed.  If removed, normal pain and shock numbers.  (You better take that arrow out of your thigh before you try jogging again).

3)  Low BL bleeding numbers.  The narrow wound has less chance to hit a blood vessel.

4) [edit. addition] Lower Knockdown.  They tend to glide right through.

The weapons would have lower damage ratings than they do now.  This would be balanced by their lethality when they pierce the torso or head.

If none of you convince me otherwise, I'll write it up.  On the other hand, if you like the idea, give me advice on it.  I'd be obliged either way.

Gene
Ceci n'est pas un sig file.

prophet118

well they do have the puncture damage table...

but honestly why raise or lower the damage?... it sounds like what you are going for is a new way of looking at lethality... well i gaurantee that if you get a punctured temple, you'll think its lethal enough...lol
"Congratulations you have won, its a years subscription of bad puns.."

Check out my art site! http://prophet118.deviantart.com
Wanna Buy a Poster?  http://www.deviantprints.com/~prophet118/

MrGeneHa

The main reason is because blade and spike wound has different lethality in different locations.

A sword to the face is very nasty.  A rapier to the face will keep on going, and sail right through the whole head.  A rapier is better at piercing thin plates of bone (the skull).

A sword to the arm will sever muscles.  You ain't gonna use that arm.  A rapier will sail on through.  That's when the guy with the falchion (read: big meat cleaver) hacks off the arm of the man with the rapier.  Using the pierced arm.

Everything I attribute to rapiers would equally apply to narrow headed arrows (esp. bodkins), narrow spike-like spear heads (common on bills and Lucerne hammers), middle-eastern lances, etc.

prophet118

well as the GM of the game, it would be up to them to interpret how the wound affects the wounded... dont just say... oh the damage raiting says you get such and such blood loss, and such and such on pain...

explain how their characters feel, then if they try and say "my characters too macho.." well since they should probably make a willpower test to even see if they are still on their feet, just combine everything from that thing into a nice scene...

if i get a punctured head because of a rapier, i want my GM to explain to me the lethality... besides, i get a punctured head, and im pretty much vulture bait

MrGeneHa

I fully agree with what you wrote.  But you'll still base that description on the table.

So when a rapier (ST+2 damage rating) does massive arm damage, I think that's inappropriate.  A deeply felt description of a "shattered elbow" IS good GMing, but much more damage than the rapier should do to an arm.  (Once again, I'm not a swordsman.  Maybe a rapier would be likely to shatter bones).

Also, to keep things straight, I'm comparing sword Puncture wounds to spike Puncture wounds.  I'm proposing an alternative Puncture Damage Table for spike like weapons, perhaps called "Skewer" or "Spike".  If I've been unclear, my apologies.

Brian Leybourne

If it really bothers you that much, just reduce rapier/thin headed arrows/whatever damage to the arms and legs (ST only, say) and increase the damage when the hit is to the head or chest (ST +3 or +4 or +5).

That's got to be easier than making a whole new damage table, surely.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

prophet118

well yeh im still going on the descriptions of the table...

and yeh i know a shattered anything is pretty "unrealistic" for a rapier... but the question is this... why is it this way... because you are looking at the level 5 wound to the elbow!......sheesh..lol

i just checked on it, and the only mention on puncture chart for elbow shattered, was on a level 5 wound.... thats a pretty damn grevious wound..

shattered... well i dont know, i havenever taken a shot to the elbow by a rapier... im sure if a single thrust to the elbow caused enough damage to be a level 5 wound, id keep it at shattered elbow, think of the force behind it... then agian under your explaination, it seems as though you'd allow someone more niftys if they went through the arm, and into the chest.... that may be how things work, but you have to be careful

Bob McNamee

By the way...
I would reinterpret 'shattered' as tendons / ligaments damaged...or for terribly damaging ... results in  puncturing an artery (rather than severing etc)
a deep puncture wound in the arm along the bone could cause this.
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

Jake Norwood

I'm staying waaayyyy outta this.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Bob Richter

Quote from: MrGeneHaHey all, this is just my take on weapon damage.  Disclaimer:  I don't modern fence, historical sword fight, SCA, and haven't made any special study of wounds and penetration.

Which means, of course, that you're utterly unqualified to have this discussion. :)

The table you're looking for already exists. A puncture wound is a puncture wound is a puncture wound, and a Rapier *CAN* shatter an elbow, tear muscles, or sever tendons, ligaments, or major blood vessels. And generally wreak havoc on a limb just as easily as it would on a head or torso.
So ye wanna go earnin' yer keep with yer sword, and ye think that it can't be too hard...

MrGeneHa

Here's where I've ALREADY gone crazy with this:

I've retyped and rearranged all the damage charts into an MS Excel file, so that they neatly fit onto four double sided sheets.

So making a new set of damage tables ISN'T hard for me.  I just rearrange a few numbers and some of the text descriptions.  This is about 30 minutes of work.

I get rid of words like "shattered", "serious bleeding", "chipping", reduce Knockdown numbers, and place "internal damage" sooner for torso shots.  I'm actually blowing more time discussing it than it would take to do it.  (Obviously, I enjoy this forum a bit too much).

I'm also going to re-type the weapon and armor charts anyway for a specifically Imperial Roman campaign, so assigning a new type of Damage isn't a problem either (the Spatha is just an Arming Sword).

But, before I use this idea, I'd like to make sure it isn't completely misguided.  Also, I'd love to get any advice on how to do it.

prophet118

i suppose a new era would be interesting... though im not sure why the spatha would be used, since the common roman legionairre sword was the Gladius Hispanenca... the spanish sword..however i do know that the roman armor also used a lot mroe than just that. spears, pikes, lances, several varieties of swords, and many different kinds of shields and armor..

though i dont really understand why you would feel the need to change the damage charts... everything on the charts is very well balanced against their real world counter parts...

i guess i just dont get it i suppose

toli

Quote from: prophet118though im not sure why the spatha would be used, since the common roman legionairre sword was the Gladius Hispanenca...

I think the spatha was the cavalry sword and the gladius the infantry sword.  The spatha was a bit longer for more reach so an arming sword is probably a good representation (short sword for gladius)

FYI sword in Italian is la spada, obviously derived from spatha

NT
NT

prophet118

i havent been as up to date lately on swords, mainly due to playing alot of D&D.... ya know?... i dont have to get into sword details much in there... though when i play Rune, or now TROS i'll be able to get into swords again

MrGeneHa

Most of you won't care about this, but...

The gladius is the classic Roman infantry sword.  The TRoS Short Sword.  The iron and steel of ancient Rome wasn't as nice as medieval steel, so the gladius is short and stout and very hard to break.  It's designed to pierce armor without snapping or chipping.

As Rome's foes became less and less civilized (ie armored), they began switching to the longer spatha.  At first, yes, a cavalry sword, it was later taken up by the infantry.  Like most all cavalry swords, it's designed for slashing.  It's longer (25 in vs. 21 in, for example) and narrower.  By the middle of the 2nd century, the gladius had pretty much disappeared.

(Hey!  I just noticed that in TRoS terms, they're BOTH short swords!). [Later edit]  (Forgot to include the length of the handle.  The spatha would be a cheap TRoS arming sword, perhaps with with a DTN of 7?).

On another subject, many of the soldiers in the game will be using a very narrow headed javelin called a pilum.  Horse archers from the east will use narrow headed arrows.