News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Combat Sim update

Started by Brian Leybourne, December 11, 2002, 10:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Leybourne

In a burst of enthusiasm born from boredom at work I started doing some extra development on the combat sim.

So far, I have fixed Dual Rapiers not being able to do a double parry against a double attack, and I have added in the Fatigue rules (which should speed up long combats) as an option on the options panel.

Any other (reasonable) requests?

Do not ask for an AI opponent, as that's still in production and will be ages off, and do not ask for head-to-head play over IP as that's beyond me at the moment (I just don't have the time for something that major). I reserve the right to deny any request :-)

I know some folk asked for a couple of other things once, but I can't find the posts concerned, so if there's something you really want to see in there, this is your chance.

Oh yeah, and no grappling. I'll still thinking through that one.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

prophet118

some missile combat might be interesting, though obviously shouldnt be in what appears to be a melee combat sim, my only requests would have been sorcery, or missile, both of which wouldnt be that easy to do, im sure
"Congratulations you have won, its a years subscription of bad puns.."

Check out my art site! http://prophet118.deviantart.com
Wanna Buy a Poster?  http://www.deviantprints.com/~prophet118/

Bob Richter

Quote from: BrianLAny other (reasonable) requests?
Brian.

Would it be too much to ask to actually get most of the melee weapons in there?
So ye wanna go earnin' yer keep with yer sword, and ye think that it can't be too hard...

svenlein

I you could design it so that when one player sends a command it writes to standard out then waits for a return message of the other guys command in standard in, I could probably write a program that passes that info over the web.

Mokkurkalfe

Now, I have no idea about how difficult it would be to do anything like this, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

The dice modifiers when hitting different locations. It makes tactics, aiming and armor so much more interesting.

Sometimes you have a Reflex of 5 and a profiency of 6 but a CP of 2 at the end of a fight. Perhaps a reset button that re-calculates the CP. Just adding together the Ref and Prof. That wouldn't take away any changes you might want to keep, right?

Perhaps skills like Style Analysis and Body Language?
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Brian Leybourne

Quotesome missile combat might be interesting, though obviously shouldnt be in what appears to be a melee combat sim, my only requests would have been sorcery, or missile, both of which wouldnt be that easy to do, im sure

Well, in TROS anyone trying to do missile combat in melee is pretty much dead, same for sorcery if you're not well prepared. I don't think I'll tackle those in the melee sim :-)

QuoteWould it be too much to ask to actually get most of the melee weapons in there?

What version of the combat sim are you using? You do know that V2 (the one that is currently on the webpage etc) has 25 weapons in there, right? I stopped adding weapons when I got to the point where the only ones left were basically just copies of other ones I had already added, but if there are any specific weapons that you just can't live without, I can put them in.

QuoteI you could design it so that when one player sends a command it writes to standard out then waits for a return message of the other guys command in standard in, I could probably write a program that passes that info over the web.

That's the time consuming bit :-) Actually sending a message to an IP address or waiting for one is the easy part. I will do this at some point, but not for a while.

QuoteThe dice modifiers when hitting different locations. It makes tactics, aiming and armor so much more interesting.

Yeah, that's a good idea, and shouldn't be too hard to implement. I'll work on that. I may put it in as an option.

QuoteSometimes you have a Reflex of 5 and a profiency of 6 but a CP of 2 at the end of a fight. Perhaps a reset button that re-calculates the CP. Just adding together the Ref and Prof. That wouldn't take away any changes you might want to keep, right?

Fair call, except it means adding an extra button. I'll see if I can think of somewhere to put that.

QuotePerhaps skills like Style Analysis and Body Language?

I decided early on not to mess about with putting skills in there (ditto gifts like accuracy), but I'll think about it.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Keep them coming.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

prophet118

well you asked for what we'd like...lol, thats about all i could think of that was missing...lol
"Congratulations you have won, its a years subscription of bad puns.."

Check out my art site! http://prophet118.deviantart.com
Wanna Buy a Poster?  http://www.deviantprints.com/~prophet118/

Brian Leybourne

Update update:

Fatigue and hit location modifiers have been added. That rapier fix has been done. Also, at the end of a battle, the program automatically refreshes each players current CP. If their other stats have changed at all, you'll still have to reload them (lower health due to bleeding, etc) but if CP is the only thing that has changed, it's now refreshed and you'll be able to just click FIGHT again.

As an aside, if you never thought EN was really all that important, you'll change your mind when you battle with the fatigue rules. It adds a whole new element to combat. Fast weak guy versus a Max Steel type? Just full Evade for a while until Max exhausts himself and then he's meat :-)

Unless someone suggests anything else they want changed/added, and unless I come up with any new changes, I'll send the new version (2.1) to Jake after this weekend.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Aaron

The only other thing I'vehad a problem with Brian is when one guy tosses and the second opts not to defend but attack instead the tosse(?) doesn't ever get any successes.  No matter how many dice he puts into it.
Aaron.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: AaronThe only other thing I'vehad a problem with Brian is when one guy tosses and the second opts not to defend but attack instead the tosse(?) doesn't ever get any successes.  No matter how many dice he puts into it.
Aaron.

Hmm.. you're right. In fact, it doesn't look like it even rolls dice for him. Thanks, I'll look into that.

Serves him right for being a tosser anyway. :-)

Actually, that may be a kiwi joke that you guys wont get. Down here, "tosser" is a derogatory term for someone that suggests they masturbate a lot, kind of like calling someone a wanker I guess, but it's more mild and not really that offensive.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Brian Leybourne

OK, I have fixed the "toss when defender attacks" bug. If the tosser goes second in the resulting simultaneous attack, it just removes the dice at the start of the next exchange, as always. If the tosser goes first, it reduces the other guys die pool immediately for his sim attack, possibly reducing the dice he has put into that attack (but it comes off available die pool before attack pool, as always).

Either way, if I toss and you respond by attacking, I'm probably dead and you've risked almost nothing. Nasty.

Hey Jake, remember how you errata'ed Beat to reduce die pool by double the successes since it used to be just the successes and this wasn't good enough? Was this fix supposed to be for Toss as well? It would make Toss a more useful attack.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

toli

Quote from: BrianL
Quote from: Aaron"tosser" is a derogatory term
Brian.

I thought the standard kiwi derogatory term was "aussie" (as is Australian)    :)

I'm a yank but I lived in Leigh (north of Auckland)  for 4 years...

Nice place

NT
NT

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: toliI thought the standard kiwi derogatory term was "aussie" (as is Australian)    :)

Only if they *are* Aussies. Calling someone an "aussie" when they're not Australian is crual and unusual punishment.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Aaron

hmm....I think I'll put all CP and Spiritual dice, (Passion Australia, drive Defend Aussies etc etc) into thrusting attack to BrianL's head (my players favorite..Not Brian, the head shot) for that one being Australian myself!! Or maybe we should start on the sheep jokes heh?? haha
As for the fix, sounds good, but I thought the rules said If you win each success in the margin causes him to lose 1 CP on the following exchange.. I didn't think it mattered whether you tossed before your opponent wacked you, or after..Has this been changed somewhere?
Aaron

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Aaronhmm....I think I'll put all CP and Spiritual dice, (Passion Australia, drive Defend Aussies etc etc) into thrusting attack to BrianL's head (my players favorite..Not Brian, the head shot) for that one being Australian myself!! Or maybe we should start on the sheep jokes heh?? haha

Yeah yeah, New Zealand: where men are men, and sheep get nervous.

Heard them all, my boy. Heard them all.

Quote from: AaronAs for the fix, sounds good, but I thought the rules said If you win each success in the margin causes him to lose 1 CP on the following exchange.. I didn't think it mattered whether you tossed before your opponent wacked you, or after..Has this been changed somewhere?

Well, there's been debate on here as to what consitiutes the "next exchange". Technically, if he's swinging after me, then it's his next exchange, right? Or you could look at it in the strictest sense where he's already declared an attack and so it goes through as normal until the actual next exchange when he loses the dice.

Jake's been pretty neutral on the interpretation, unless I missed his clarification. My view is that if I delay it to the actual next exchange, toss is useless - any time someone does a toss attack I'm totally free to attack him with impunity, who cares who gets initiative, the worse he can do is steal dice after my attack, by which time he's probably/hopefully dead. This way, even if he attacks he may lose attack dice and toss is not so immediately deadly/useless.

Anyway, that's *my* interpretation, so it stays until such time as Jake tells me it's wrong :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com