News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Fighting Indoors

Started by svenlein, January 28, 2003, 11:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

svenlein

How do people handle players fighting indoors.  I would guess many Terraign rolls with higher difficulties for people based on the lenght of their weapon.

Shadeling

Quote from: svenleinHow do people handle players fighting indoors.  I would guess many Terraign rolls with higher difficulties for people based on the lenght of their weapon.

Suppose I guess how open the room is would make a difference.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Jake Norwood

Bot things are correct. Even large rooms will eventually incur some terrain penalties (sooner or later someone gets backed into a wall). For most indoor environments use the "tight/enclosed spaces" entry for terrain.

For bigger ones have the guy that's been on the defensive the most over one every few rounds.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Valamir

In a similar vein, how does one handle trying to maneuver ones opponent into a disadvantaged position.  I suspect its with some sort of Terrain vs Terrain roll but the actual process isn't spelled out.

Lets say we're fighting on the beach and I want to force my opponent into the water.  Or I want to circle around so the sun is in HIS eyes.  Or I want to manipulate him underneath the suspended bundle of ship's cargo that my compatriot is about to bring crashing down on his head.

Rolling terrain dice agains a target number is sufficient to avoid ill footing effects with a single success.  But how many successes vs an opponent would one need to achieve the above sort of effects.

Somewhat related to that, I have toyed with the idea of a manuever called "Giving Ground" which all proficiencies would have.  This maneuver would be declared as a defense at the moment before defense dice are rolled (and can be combined with any defense except "offensive" defenses like counter or expulsion).  The mechanic would be something along the lines of add one die to the defense pool for every X distance you fall back (I'm not sure if feet or yards seems more reasonable).  Does such a maneuver seem reasonable?

I'm envisioning the attacker having the option of using a Terrain Roll to prevent the defender from falling back, but I'm not sure how i'd handle that.

Mokkurkalfe

I thought the falling back was covered in most defenses, especially evasions. Isnt that's why you have to spend 2 CP to gain initiative after a successful partial evasion? It's hard to take initiative while going backwards.
And when "full-evading" you're *definately* falling back.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson