News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Animals

Started by Heavenlyrock, January 30, 2003, 04:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heavenlyrock

I have a quick question(s)...

If a horse succeeds at evading an attack, while the rider tries to attack, do we nullify the attack because the horse would probably force the rider out of range (I would think so)?  Also there are a lot of stats in the Sample NPC's section of Book Eight that are important but not listed... am I missing some general rule that says if it is not listed they are like 7 or something?  For example, all horses lack TO which is important for figuring damage done to them.

Shadeling

Quote from: HeavenlyrockI have a quick question(s)...

If a horse succeeds at evading an attack, while the rider tries to attack, do we nullify the attack because the horse would probably force the rider out of range (I would think so)?  Also there are a lot of stats in the Sample NPC's section of Book Eight that are important but not listed... am I missing some general rule that says if it is not listed they are like 7 or something?  For example, all horses lack TO which is important for figuring damage done to them.

The NPC entries have TEMPORAL, and MENTAL. Whatever number this says, that is what each attribute within that grouping is at. However, if in parentheses, it says something like (AG 8) that means that instead of the TEMPORAL number, AG is 8.

Understand?
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Heavenlyrock

you know I feel pretty stupid now *lol*... I completely overlooked those numbers :).  Do you think that would be correctly done for the evasion thing?

Brian Leybourne

The best way to handle it is like this:

If a horse is unridden, use it's stats etc. If it evades an attack, it's evaded the attack and does not get hit.

If a horse is ridden, ignore it's CP, as everything it does it controlled by the rider. Attacks, defenses, etc are all declared by the rider and come out of his CP (even if the attack is one the rider makes the horse do, like rearing to kick at an opponent). To answer your specific question, let the rider make partial evasions to have the horse "dance back" from an attack, and this puts the rider out of range as well. I wouldn't allow any other kind of evasion, except a full evasion, which would be the rider jumping off the horse to avoid an attack. Note that this partial evasion would preclude the rider attacking at the same time, but for that I would use an evasive attack.. the horse skips back while the rider (assuming he has a long enough weapon) tries to get in a strike.

That's some of the stuff covered in the animals chapter in Of Beasts and Men, by the way. There's heaps more though.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Shadeling

Quote from: Brian LeybourneThe best way to handle it is like this:

If a horse is unridden, use it's stats etc. If it evades an attack, it's evaded the attack and does not get hit.

If a horse is ridden, ignore it's CP, as everything it does it controlled by the rider. Attacks, defenses, etc are all declared by the rider and come out of his CP (even if the attack is one the rider makes the horse do, like rearing to kick at an opponent). To answer your specific question, let the rider make partial evasions to have the horse "dance back" from an attack, and this puts the rider out of range as well. I wouldn't allow any other kind of evasion, except a full evasion, which would be the rider jumping off the horse to avoid an attack. Note that this partial evasion would preclude the rider attacking at the same time, but for that I would use an evasive attack.. the horse skips back while the rider (assuming he has a long enough weapon) tries to get in a strike.

That's some of the stuff covered in the animals chapter in Of Beasts and Men, by the way. There's heaps more though.

Brian.

By the way, the TROS book does say the rider can make Duck and Weave defenses...as his only defense, as ANY others make him fall off the horse...but yeah I imagine you could have the horse rear back or something as a partial.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.