News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Marketing Forum?

Started by Matt Gwinn, January 29, 2003, 02:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Gwinn

I was wondering if there has ever been any thought about opening up a Marketing forum on the Forge?  We really don't have a place to discuss different avenues of getting our games onto store shelves and into the hands of gamers.  We have the Publishing forum, but publishing and marketing are two totally different subjects.

There are more and more indy publishers coming out of the wood work every days and I think it would be nice if they had a defined place to ask questions about how to sell their games.  Let's say I'm interested in placing an ad in Dragon magazine and don't know how to go about doing that.  Where would I go to ask?  Or maybe I'd like to hire and agent or learn about effective means of advertising.  Do banner ads boost sales?  Is it worth the money to put an flyer in the swag bag at Gencon?  These are all questions we don't really have a solid location to post about.

What to you think?

,Matt G.
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Ron Edwards

Hi Matt,

At the moment, I tend to think of marketing as a valid topic for the Publishing forum, with the concept of "publishing" including any aspect of the commercial process, not just printing a book. But I'm open to suggestions.

What I'd really like to see are more articles about this stuff from people who've done it. Just a plain what-I-did history, including some of the ups and downs and snap decisions, would be invaluable.

Best,
Ron