News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What should I charge?

Started by jdagna, February 21, 2003, 03:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdagna

Hello everyone!

I've had an unusual offer recently from an old high school friend who currently works as an editor for a company that has been very successful with manga.  They license comics from Japan, do the translations and some art touchups where necessary, then sell them here in the states.

He wants to expand one of the comic lines into a fantasy RPG using the d20 System for rules and the licensed comic as the setting.  There would be a 150-200 page core book (setting and rules), with a 100 page monster supplement and 100 page "heroes and legends" supplement.

His questions to me were:
1)  How long do you estimate it would take to develop a core rulebook based on the D20 system for an established property (comics and an online game)?
2)  How much would you charge for said services (rough estimated) assuming that work was done on a for hire basis with no retained rights or royalties?

Would anyone be willing to volunteer what your answers for those questions would be?  What is the industry average?  I've got some rough ideas, but I've never been in a position to name my own price before.

Thanks for any advice!
Justin Dagna
President, Technicraft Design.  Creator, Pax Draconis
http://www.paxdraconis.com

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: jdagna
1)  How long do you estimate it would take to develop a core rulebook based on the D20 system for an established property (comics and an online game)?
2)  How much would you charge for said services (rough estimated) assuming that work was done on a for hire basis with no retained rights or royalties?

Justin,

The answer for 1 is seriously quick. The reason d20 is so expansive is, well, because WoTC is the big gorilla, but also because d20 is dead simple to write for. You basically just add color as the rules are already done.

The answer for 2 - two to four cents per word sounds right, with two being much more likely.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

philreed

Quote from: Clinton R. Nixon
Quote from: jdagna

Justin,

The answer for 1 is seriously quick. The reason d20 is so expansive is, well, because WoTC is the big gorilla, but also because d20 is dead simple to write for. You basically just add color as the rules are already done.

The answer for 2 - two to four cents per word sounds right, with two being much more likely.

I disagree. If you want to do a hack job and release garbage you could do it fast. If you're looking at doing a quality job D20 is actually harder to write for. Lots of rules that must be cross-referenced and lots of conflicting views on what is right and wrong for the system. It's harder than you think when working with an established game system that has millions of users . . . most of whom have a better grasp of the rules than you ever will.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

Jack Spencer Jr

I considered what I would do were I made such an offer. You might want to make sure they want the d20 license vs. just using the OGL or however the legality of it breaks down. This will be very, very important since it will effect what you can and can't include in the book. This may effect your time if you find you need to do a rewrite at the last minute.