News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Insight question

Started by Mordacc, February 21, 2003, 10:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mordacc

Ok this is a question about spending insight points on a new character.  Lets say that bob has 50 insight points and he dies, so the new character fred beginsplay with some sort of insight bonus that costs 30 points (say an extra priority or something).  does that mean fred has 20 insight points or 0?  basically im asking if insight points carry over from character to character, or is it the case where if you begin a new character after your old one dies then all your insight is gone.  sorry, as usual im not very good at wording these questions.

Thanks as always,
Mordacc
The Riddle of Steel is that you are the weapon.  Swords, Magic, these are only tools.  Your most powerful weapon is the one between your ears.  When you embrace this, you will be invincible.

Brian Leybourne

When you start a new character, your old characters insight level determines what priority picks you get (50 points, for example, gives you a bonus "B" priority, or ABBCDE).

The new character earns his own insight, starting from zero again.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Mordacc

gotcha.  i wasnt sure if, say you had 55 and you spend 50 if you would still have 5 or just 0.  thanks for clearin it up.
The Riddle of Steel is that you are the weapon.  Swords, Magic, these are only tools.  Your most powerful weapon is the one between your ears.  When you embrace this, you will be invincible.

Shadeling

Quote from: Mordaccgotcha.  i wasnt sure if, say you had 55 and you spend 50 if you would still have 5 or just 0.  thanks for clearin it up.

You don't spend 50. If you had 55 Insight, you get the bonus B, flat out. In fact, that range is 46-60...so having anywhere from 46-60 Insight, gives you a bonus B, period!

You do not get to choose to spend a portion. It is all or nothing. Hope this helps.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Callan S.

Does anyone think it'd be cool that new characters based on insight have to be old NPC's met by the players (and perhaps befriended).

Remember the stable boy you used to talk to and send on errands. Well, he's actually a fey spy.

It'd just be so cool for NPC's to come out and be 'real' people/PC's. It'd probably confer more respect to NPCs (since any of them might end up being a fellow PC some time). Its possible to convert any mundane seeming NPC into whatever rich and powerul individual you end up making...just a bit of background story and voila!

This is going to be my house rule...well, I'll just lie and say the book says to do that, to make TROS seem even cooler!
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

Brian Leybourne

Not a terrible idea, although I can think of a couple of potential problems.

1) Through a painful serendipity, players are guaranteed to pick the innocuous-seeming NPC you have been slowly intregrating into the campaign who is actually vital to the plot later, and you'll have to change all your plans or say "not him" which will make them suspicious.

2) Someone is going to want to play a tall dark spear wielding Tengokan warrior-priest (or whatever), but you've never introduced one to the group as an NPC.

Other than that, it's a nice way of making throwaway NPC's appear (in a metagame sense) to be more than just throwaway NPC's.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Callan S.

Quote from: Brian LeybourneNot a terrible idea, although I can think of a couple of potential problems.

1) Through a painful serendipity, players are guaranteed to pick the innocuous-seeming NPC you have been slowly intregrating into the campaign who is actually vital to the plot later, and you'll have to change all your plans or say "not him" which will make them suspicious.

2) Someone is going to want to play a tall dark spear wielding Tengokan warrior-priest (or whatever), but you've never introduced one to the group as an NPC.

Other than that, it's a nice way of making throwaway NPC's appear (in a metagame sense) to be more than just throwaway NPC's.

Brian.

1) Damn, yup. UNLESS you let them play them...BUT, they have an evil twin (who does all the stuff you need)! Ahh hell, you have to do the evil twin thing sometime...its in all the rules! ;)

2) Ummmmm...well, if your GM hasn't introduced some black person at some point, he's racist and scum and should be burnt. There, that solves that one!

Seriously, with a bit of luck some NPC has the right skin...and the players have probably forgotten if he was tall or short or even his/her gender. NPC's suffer that. So its probably gunna be okay. May be.
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

spunky

Quote from: Noon1) Damn, yup. UNLESS you let them play them...BUT, they have an evil twin (who does all the stuff you need)! Ahh hell, you have to do the evil twin thing sometime...its in all the rules! ;)

Of course, if your player happens to be experienced and up to the task, there's nothing wrong with letting them play the Seneschal's secret antagonist as their next PC.  The player needs to be stashing away insight like crazy, because when the truth comes out, they have the lifespan of a Mayfly in August.  Also, considering the lethality of TROS, they will probably take at least one other character with them, if not the whole party if they're particularly smart.

And if they DO manage to wipe out the party... what an AWESOME set up for the next game, as the sons and daughters of the slain heros vow revenge.  Talk about SAs the players are in touch with!

My gaming group is pretty cool with inter-party conflict and character death, so long as its in the interests of the story and are appropriately dramatic (and really violent, for some reason).  If your players take character deaths overly seriously (like the kid in high school who cried when his 22nd level Ranger named Larry was killed by Death), don't do this.
Exterminate all rational thought.
                 ---Wm. S. Burroughs