News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

indie netgaming folks played a pickup game of Inspectres

Started by Bob McNamee, March 18, 2003, 10:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob McNamee

The folks on the indie netgaming group- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indie-netgaming/- played a pickup game of Inspectres last night!
Mike Holmes GMing, Nathan (Paganini), Bob McNamee, and Chris E(dwards?) playing.
Fun stuff!
High Points-
A 24 inch sign for the office was botched, resulting in a 24 ft sign.
Nathan's ninja became a bad Karaoke singer from Bob's confessional
and Chris's equipment requisition..."The Phantom Menace"-a somewhat interactive weapon of mayhem.

The narration log is posted on the Group file area. We'll have to get the characters and franchise stuff up there too.

I've seen it said before, I'd like to see if this franchise will fly!
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

Jared A. Sorensen

Cool. Overall, I liked it.

I do find it interesting that lots of people seem to create (or want to create) Kick-Ass Kewl Karacters instead of "normal" folks.

Because the skills aren't as much a reflection of the character's competency as it is how he reacts under pressure. Meaning you can have a perfectly ordinary guy who is into Linux and PC overclocking with Technology 4...you don't NEED to play the McGuyver character.

Hmmm.

- J
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Paganini

Quote from: Jared A. SorensenI do find it interesting that lots of people seem to create (or want to create) Kick-Ass Kewl Karacters instead of "normal" folks.

Be cool man, it was my first time. ;)

But seriously, I don't know if Bob posted the OOC log as well as the play log, but a bit of the way into the game I realized that mundane characters work a lot better. I think I said something like "You know, it would have been really funny if I'd made Kwennoir be a massage therapist."

BTW, Bob didn't mention that The Phantom Menace constantly spouted quotes from AYB.

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: Paganini
Quote from: Jared A. SorensenI do find it interesting that lots of people seem to create (or want to create) Kick-Ass Kewl Karacters instead of "normal" folks.

Be cool man, it was my first time. ;)

But seriously, I don't know if Bob posted the OOC log as well as the play log, but a bit of the way into the game I realized that mundane characters work a lot better. I think I said something like "You know, it would have been really funny if I'd made Kwennoir be a massage therapist."

BTW, Bob didn't mention that The Phantom Menace constantly spouted quotes from AYB.

No, I wasn't dissing you (Whoop! Whoop! <-- White Guy Alert!)...I've seen a lot of people playing hyper-competent characters in InSpectres. But I agree with you that having Kwennoir as a massage therapist is funnier.

And I got the AYB quotes. Har har. :)

- J
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Bob McNamee

The only parts of the OOC log I posted were the parts that represented the Split scene time.
AYB is what?
(I'm dense, or uncool, or behind the times, or whatever and didn't get the quotes...)

The characters were
chris's guy
<C_Edwards> Uki Tamatama
<C_Edwards> Japanese immigrant, ex-rally racer.
<C_Edwards> ACADEMIA    1
<C_Edwards> ATHLETICS   3
<C_Edwards> TECHNICAL  4
<C_Edwards> CONTACT      1
<C_Edwards> Specialty:   Ex-Rally Car Driver.
<MHolmes> Excellent, Chris. I assume that you want the Chief Technical Officer position?
<C_Edwards> Ok, Senior Officer in Charge of Forward Momentum and Optimum Efficiency
<MHolmes> SOCFMOE?

bob's gal
Janet Pinckney
37...white female
Former Librarian
Acad 3
ath 2
Tech 2
Contact 2
<MHolmes> Hmm. I'm thinking maybe Chief Financial Officer?
decription perky brunette
<MHolmes> Or lead researcher?

Nathan's dude
<Paganini> My name is Kwennoir
<Paganini> Description: Uber-cool dude who always wears black. Has many hidden guns and gadgets, and is a master of invisibility, in more ways than one.
<Paganini> Background: A former CIS student from Berkely, XXX soon found his true calling and moved to San-Fransico to study Kung Fu.
<Paganini> Talent / Wierd Abilities: Tech-ninja
<Paganini> 1 Academia
<Paganini> 4 Athletics
<Paganini> 3 Technical
<Paganini> 1 Contact
Physical Troubleshooting Support Supervisor

I like the average folk idea best...its my 40 hr a week job thing.
Bob McNamee

Bob McNamee

here's the ooc reference

* Kwennoir wonders if we can afford to hire a massage therapist
<Kwennoir> Now that we've been playing for a while, it seems like more mundane roles would be really good.
done
<Kwennoir> I mean, now that I understand the game a bit, it seems like mundane characters would be really funny.
<MHolmes> Bob, cool!
<Kwennoir> My ninja dude isn't bad, but just think if he was a programming dropout trying to get a job as the company's massage therapist?
Bob McNamee

Paganini

Bob:

AYB stands for All Your Base (Belong To Us), a line from a video-game intro (very badly) translated from Japanese. The original game was called Zero Wing, I think.

It has immortal lines like:

"You are on the way to destruction."
"You have no chance to survive."
"Make your time."
"HA HA HA HA!!!"
"Take off every zig."
"For great justice."

There are more, but off the top of my head these are the ones I remember Chris using.

Bob McNamee

Ahh, I know the reference, and that it was made into a song, but I don't ever remember hearing it.

Funny stuff,
                 Bob
Bob McNamee

C. Edwards

InSpectres is a very cool game, Jared.  I was really impressed by the bullet-proof design.  It's an efficient, fun, and integrated whole.

Oh, and it's just begging to be used to play a band of pirates. :)

-Chris

Paganini

Quote from: C. EdwardsOh, and it's just begging to be used to play a band of pirates. :)

But not those pirates . . . !

Mike Holmes

Folks will probably recognize that I used the Ron Edwards GenCon Demo Scenario. The text of which I think I have memorized:

The guys get a call from a hotel owner who's pool has purple goo in it. His son drank some, and "hasn't been the same since".

This simplicity on InSpectres allowed me to explain the entire rules to those who had not played or needed clarification, get chargen done, and run an entire scenario in just a couple of hours. And it was fun as usual. All over IRC, mind you.

Not many systems can do that in such an impromptu fashion.

Mike

P.S. I'm thinking of unleashing Geek Season on them at some point to playtest it.
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.