News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Character Generation Quick Reference Package

Started by arxhon, March 12, 2003, 09:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arxhon

Hey everybody,

I have completed an 8 page character generation and quick reference package that includes everything a player would need to put together a character.

Here is a detailed list of what is included in these 8 pages:
The priority assignment table (Table 2.1)
How to calculate all Derived Attributes and pools
A summary of all Gifts and Flaws, including Sorcerous Gifts and Flaws
All skill packets
All skills with default values
All proficiencies with maneuvers, costs, defaults, and minimum proficiency levels required
A quick list of the vagaries (directing the player to more appropriate resources)
Spiritual Attributes
Every combat maneuver condensed into a sentence or two of game mechanics

It will remain useful throughout play, as the package has been designed with the combat maneuvers on the last page, and this is quite useful to player and Seneschal alike. The skills have been listed with defaults so the user can quickly find the default for, say, Sincerity or Acrobatics with vastly reduced search time.

Finally, the package is in a .doc format, so the Seneschal can edit out the parts he doesn't want or add to it as he sees fit.

If you are interested in receiving this package, PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.

Jake Norwood

But you have to own the book and prove so, or I'll sue you all blind for copyright infringement.

Smiling, but serious.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

I've got to go with Jake on this one.

Arxhon, sounds like a fantastic resource, but please - it really shouldn't go to anyone who PM's you. I'm sure Jake could stick it on the webpage somewhere, hidden and only those who have bought the book would be told where to D/L it from.

I mean, come on, that's the core of the book. Jake's being really nice, but technically, as soon as you send it to anyone he could quite legitimately sue you for copyright infringement if he had a mind to.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Callan S.

If this were palladium this thread would have been deleted by now, and nasty e-mail sent.

Then again palladium sends nasty e-mails when one writes programs that use 3D6 for stats, since they own that somehow. Not joking. No, didn't take that crap.

Anyway, does anyone else have a goulish facisnation for when high enthusiasm meets down to earth intellectual property needs. It always looks like a car wreck... ;)

But I agree, you can't give away that much info from the book, it's way too much. It's a 'by helping, your hurting' sort of thing.

Personally if I made a primer, it'll have page numbers listed a plenty, that way I can point out where the important info is, but discuss it in the primer without directly copying it.

But then again some material is blurry on which side of the IP line its on. Double again, in the end it should be about using a bit of wisdom and being nice, generally (or should I say that in the theory section?).
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

arxhon

Hey Brian, Jake.

I had previously PMed Jake on March 1, or thereabouts about this package and emailed it to him for him to include on the Riddle of Steel website.

He replied to me in PM and said that it was ok for me to distribute it until he said otherwise.

Honestly, without the book, it's really quite a bit of gobbledygook.

I understand your position, and certainly do not wish to step on anyone's toes. There had been quite a bit of response regarding this from when i first mentioned it at the start of the month in the "Am i being a jerk?" thread here http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=5372(sorry, i don't know how to embed the link in the text on this board), which is what prompted me to contact Jake in the first place, seeing as there was a demonstrable need for this kind of package.

Am i to take it that you now wish to rescind this arrangement, Jake?

If so, please say so.

Brian Leybourne

Woah nellie! :-)

Don't put my words in Jake's mouth - I said that from a totally unofficial "as a fan" stance. Whatever Jake says goes, it's his book.

If it was mine... etc, but it's not.

So go for it. But yeah, I suggest that as folk PM you, you ask for word X on page Y so you know they have the book, that kind of thing.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

arxhon

QuoteBut yeah, I suggest that as folk PM you, you ask for word X on page Y so you know they have the book, that kind of thing.

Good idea. I will implement this immediately.

Jake Norwood

Yeah, I thought it was clear I only wanted people that allready have the book to get it. I'm not ticked or anything--I really was smiling.

It really is too much info for free. though, and combined with all the other free stuff online you could figure out almost the entire game. Use the "word X on page Y so you know they have the book kind of thing," please, until I say otherwise.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

arxhon

Hey Jake,

No problem. I didn't mean to cause all this upset.

QuoteUse the "word X on page Y so you know they have the book kind of thing," please, until I say otherwise.

I will be doing this from now on.

Lance D. Allen

Hey Jake, why don't you put it on the Secret Downloads page, with the revised Chapter 6?
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Lance D. Allen

Hey Jake, why don't you put it on the Secret Downloads page, with the revised Chapter 6?

Especially as "Word X on page Y" may be different from pre-release to revised editions.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Shadeling

Quote from: WolfenHey Jake, why don't you put it on the Secret Downloads page, with the revised Chapter 6?

Especially as "Word X on page Y" may be different from pre-release to revised editions.

A members only d'load page would be cool.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Jake Norwood

Anybody know how to set up a password to get onto a page? I can do it in JavaScript, but that's transparent if you just read the source code.

arxhon-

no harm, no foul.

Jake

Mokkurkalfe

Somebody teach Jake how to do that!
A download page would be awesome...
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

jllama

Jake,

I could show you how to do that easily with Active Server Pages, but your webserver would have to support ASP, which means it would have to be running IIS.  

You might also be able to do some kind of goofy encryption thing to at least disguise the pword in the javascript.  I'll have to think more on that one.

Cody