News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I dunno where to begin...

Started by Levekius, August 30, 2001, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levekius

Hello all!

well, I've visited the site once or twice a week, I'm starting to get a feel for the place.

One area where I really, and I mean REALLLLLY need help is all that talk about stances, authorial/directorial control etc...

More to the point, can you please direct me to games (free or commercial) that make extensive use of those whacky techniques.

I really want to learn more about that stuff. I feel like I have ALWAYS used a tiny bit of this stuff with all systems (probably everyone does), but my eyes have really been opened to greater possibilities thanks to this site. That's why I'm looking for shining examples of the genre.

Ron Edwards

Hi Martin!

Author stance oriented games: Hero Wars, Orkworld, Sorcerer (modest cough), Wuthering Heights

Director stance oriented games (or with a healthy dose of it in one mechanic or another): Story Engine/Maelstrom, Extreme Vengeance, The Pool

This was just a quick conceptual pass, though - others are welcome to chime in.

Caveat: Unknown Armies is NOT an example, and I have very sticky doubts about both Amber (which I've played) and Nobilis (which I haven't).

Best,
Ron

Epoch

I've played both Amber and Nobilis.  Neither particularly encourages Author or Director stance.  Neither do they particular discourage it.