News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Donjon] Setting: Hyrule.

Started by anonymouse, March 31, 2003, 02:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anonymouse

Been playing a lot of Wind Waker recently, so a Donjon-themed Link was on my mind.

As a variant, it'd be interesting to turn an Attributes dial and use - instead of the normal 6 - Power, Wisdom, and Courage.

Abilities in the classic theme would be things like Swing Sword, Find Treasure By Destroying Things (break an object, roll to find a rupee/heart/et cetera), Find Secret Donjon Enterance (accompanied by a mystical tune on the wind..), and Face Endless Enemies (roll to respawn a room you just cleared).

Items work great; the Power Bracelet/Power Glove gives you Lift Ridiculously Large Objects, the Boomerang can Stun Enemies, the Hookshot can work as both Get Stuff From Far Away and Take Me From Here to There. So on, so forth.

Anyway, I think it'd work. Seems like it'd be fun. You don't need to change the Attributes, but it keeps with the Triforce theme (Link has an abundance of Courage, and Zelda's got Wisdom, and everyone's favourite, Ganon, has the Power).
You see:
Michael V. Goins, wielding some vaguely annoyed skills.
>

greyorm

Heh...I like it! (I grew up on the original Zelda)
The only problem I see is that the classic-style abilities are somewhat limited in number: it would seem that everyone is going to have the same ones! Any suggestions for additional classic-style abilties, or where such could be pulled from?
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Jason L Blair

Oh man, I was seriously JUST THINKING THIS last night while playing Wind Waker. The 'mouse and I must have some mental link. Get it? LINK! HAHAHAHAHAHA....

Yeah, I was up waaaaay too late last night playing.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to any and all suggestions/ideas on this.

Triforce, baby!
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Mike Holmes

Yeah, Link mostly gets his abilities from picking things up. Let's not forget heart pieces, and the thingie that doubles the hits you can take.

But there are the personal skills with each object. So you'd have skills for the boomerang, slingshot, and bows, and one for Leap Attack, and Hide Behind Shield (and just plain dodge). Also climbing (you can fall if you're not careful), swimming, and horseback riding. Some of Link's magic abilities could be done with the magic rules, I think.

I can certainly see enough for a solo game. Multiple players...I dunno about that.

Might even be some solitaire play potential here.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.