News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

not just what you want, but who to do it

Started by Paul Czege, April 03, 2003, 05:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyorm

Quote from: C. EdwardsSince we apparently need living writers and actual game designers I suppose that Jared Sorensen could supervise the project.
Jared supervising a couple of dead guys.
Hrm...works for me!
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Zak Arntson

I'd like to see Robin Laws re-design Rune from ground-up in collaboration with Mike Mearls. Then Mike needs to edit & write it, so the darn thing's readable.

I'd also like to see Ron Edwards write a totally Howard/Wagner pulp fantasy game, separate from Sorcerer. I guess it would just be called "Sword."

Jonathan Walton

I want Eric Alfred Burns to write a companion game to Nobilis where you play Excrucians out to destroy Creation and all the concepts within.  

I want R. Sean Borgstrom to write a game about the Trojan War.  I want to feel the wrath of Achilles in my bones.  I want my heart to break at the beauty of Helen.

I want Shreyas Sampat to write a game based on Italo Calvino's "Invisible Cities."  I really, really, really do.  The book is a novel but not a story (falling into the category of "poetic narrative" that came up in the recent thread on microfiction).

Valamir

Quote from: Jonathan WaltonI want R. Sean Borgstrom to write a game about the Trojan War.  I want to feel the wrath of Achilles in my bones.  I want my heart to break at the beauty of Helen.

Hell yeah...only why limit it to Troy...Jason of Argos, Aenas, Oddysseus...all ripe for the treatment.

Shreyas Sampat

I want Vincent to write a game about the secret lives of pieces of art.  What is the sacrifice at the heart of beauty?

I want Jared to write a game about the moral struggle of research that uncovers Something Terrible: Do you save your knowledge, your colleagues, or yourself?

I want Jonathan to finish Fingers on the Firmament.  I want to see the faces of the stars.

I want Seth and R. Sean Borgstrom to write a game about geisha and Shinto priests, with paper magic and secrets.  I want to have my attention arrested by the rustle of a sleeve.  I want to cry over the desolate life of the entertainer and the advisor.

By the way, consider it burning in the back.  Invisible Cities it is.  What shall I call it?

C. Edwards

greyorm wrote:
QuoteJared supervising a couple of dead guys.
Hrm...works for me!

Raven killed Chuck Palahniuk! You bastard!  ;)

-Chris

Jonathan Walton

Quote from: Shreyas SampatBy the way, consider it burning in the back.  Invisible Cities it is.  What shall I call it?

10,000 Miles to Xanadu

Or something like that.  I'll finish Fingers if you do Xanadu.  Scout's honor (and I am an Eagle Scout) :)

talysman

I think it was Vincent who did the game about Jinn for the Iron Chef competition. I want him to flesh it out more.

I want Jonathan Walton to do a game about a secret society that designs myths and injects them into various cultures in an attempt to change societies by changing the way people think.

[ edit: spelling error. gah. ]
John Laviolette
(aka Talysman the Ur-Beatle)
rpg projects: http://www.globalsurrealism.com/rpg

John Harper

(Designer: My dream game)

Ron Edwards: A Mafia RPG. Family. Honor. Tradition. Betrayal. "Odds are, when you go down, it's your best friend that pulls the trigger."

Clinton Nixon: PUNK. Rage, music, and putting your boot in the face of society. Eat the motherfucking rich.

Bruce Baugh: Crimson Skies.

CJ Carella: The Vlad Taltos/Dragaera license. That would kick so much ass.

lumpley: Urban Fantasy. A War for the Oaks kind of thing. It's Otherkind long after Iron has won.

Robin Laws and Greg Stolze: The Matrix RPG. Think about that for a second. Goddamn that would rock.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Ron Edwards

Plain regular people.

No powers, modern day. Not a "modern day setting," but the actual modern day.

It could be comedic, dramatic, whatever.

It'd be Narrativist in the mildest sense - nothing to do but make a story through play, but no pressure about how intense, more about evolving conflict as folks see fit. Definite endings and themes, though.

Losing Isaiah.

Seinfeld (and please, no one is to blather about "about nothing").

The Return of the Secaucus 7.

The Godfather.

Lucky Jim, Jake's Thing (or really, any book by Kingsley Amis excepting horror/occult like The Green Man).

... that sort of thing.

The author? H'm. Vincent Baker (lumpley) would seem a shoe-in, but I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Holmes suffer, just as a general thing, and this would be a nice stretch for him.

Best,
Ron

Mike Holmes

Quote from: talysmanI want Jonathan Walton to do a game about a secret society that designs myths and injects them into various cultures in an attempt to change societies by changing the way people think.

Oooh. Missionaria Protectiva. Cool. Conquest by competitive memes. Interesting.

I'd like to see a game about exploring a lush environment with elements that are at once alien and novel, and yet simultaneously grab a person's imagination with a hammer lock born of a conveyance of iconic description that calls out to our deepest lizard-brain.

And I want Gareth Hanrahan to write it because he'd get the feel right.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Ron EdwardsThe author? H'm. Vincent Baker (lumpley) would seem a shoe-in, but I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Holmes suffer, just as a general thing, and this would be a nice stretch for him.
Damnit, I knew you were going to say that.

No, really. As I was poting my post, I was thinking, "Ron's going to call for a game about that place that we dare not look; ourselves. And then, he'd be just a bastard enough to suggest that I do it, because he knows that I'm the last person who wants such a game."

I actually thought about posting this pre-emptively, but you beat me to it.

Honestly.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Kester Pelagius

Greetings All,

As I was reading along it suddenly struck me, what about the under developed genre of camp RPGs?

We could have way way out games like Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill or outrageous spoofs like Flesh Gordon or... or... well I can't think of anything real good at the moment.

But we do love camp in movies, but has there been any really 'good' campy RPGs put out lately?

Kind Regards,

Kester "bumping the threads up one" Pelagius
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

Jonathan Walton

Quote from: talysmanI want Jonathan Walton to do a game about a secret society that designs myths and injects them into various cultures in an attempt to change societies by changing the way people think.

Meme: The Ascension?  Definitely.  I've wanted to do a game based on the ideology of Daniel Quinn for a helluva long time.  Maybe something based on "The Story of B," where your secret society gets labeled as the anti-Christ as has to resist/hide from the Big Brother that is Mother Culture, all the while trying to change the world through creating myth.  A new story to be in...

And if Shreyas is going to write a non-story game about poetic narrative, that means I have to come up with something else for John (talysman) to do...

How about a game based on the non-canonical pseudopigrapha, apocrypha, and gnostic scriptures that didn't make it into the Bible?  Hypostasis of the Archons, the Gospel of Thomas, the Childhood of the Savior, the Books of Enoch, the War of the Sons of Light with the Sons of Darkness, etc.  Just sit the man down with a copy of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Nag Hammadi texts and let him go.  Not sure what would come out of that, but DAMN would it be cool!

Julie

Here's a thing:  I was once told that no game premise is too silly to consider.  Hackneyed and cliched? Yes.  Silly?  No.   Hence my posting here.

Bearing that in mind, and the fact that I am an inverterate medical geek, it occurred to me that pathogens - bacteria, viruses, fungi, etc. - and their processes would make intriguing PCs.  Black plague, rhinovirus, cholera,  HIV, syphilis, influenza, or even things like BSE (mad cow disease) or Parvovirus...and also more or less mechanism-unknown processes carried through DNA (we think) like cancers and mental illnesses.   Tell me I'm not the only one who sees potential.  Hell, we could include ALL disease processes - diseases of excess, age, exposure, etc.  

Now also consider the perspectives some widely divergent designers would have - Ron, Mike and Jared, for example.  Nifty compare/contrast potential.  

Diseases.  Think about it.

Feel free to laugh and point at me now.
Julie