News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Jack Spencer Jr, April 05, 2003, 10:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Hopcroft

I just finsiehd CLAMP's classic manga Magic Knight Rayearth. A great story about self-discovery as three young girls find themselves in a world of magic which they are destined to save before they can go home to Tokyo.
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

Jürgen Mayer

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

I actually read this before my first GenCon 2001, but after returning home, I never got back to it to read the appendices. That's what I'm doing now.

Next in line is New York by Night for Vampire. My longest running campaign ever was a Vampire chronicle set in NYC (running on and off since 1995), and I'm reading this because I'm curious how my New York differs from what Achilli cooked up.

"I trust your good head keeps you from squandering too many hours in front of the television. Beware of the lazy eye, it only teaches you how to die." -Johnny Truant's mother, in Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves
Jürgen Mayer
Disaster Machine Productions
http://disastermachine.com

Matt Wilson

Man, I hate to say it, but Cryptonomicon is still on my to-read list. I haven't been able to get into it for some reason. I flew through Zodiac and Snow Crash, and managed The Diamond Age all right, but despite how good it seems, Crypty is defying me. Maybe it's the weight. I have the hardback. Yeah, that's how long I've been trying to read it.

Started reading Joseph Stiglitz's book Globalization and its Discontents, which is managing to fascinate me even though I never studied economics.

Last good novel I read was probably something by Iain M. Banks.

Jason L Blair

I'm slowing picking through Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon. It rocks the catbox. It's like reading a John Woo film while William Gibson whispers dirty what-whats in your ear.
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Anonymous

Last week:

The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay: One of the greatest fantasy story that I have ever read... it's better than Lord of the Rings... Would make a great rpg setting.

Just finished today the second book of the serie "A song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin. Great fantasy story. A lot of political intrigues. Yup a really good story but, contrary to Guardian of Order, I don't think it can makes a good rpg setting, there is not enough "setting" elements in the book (if I compare it to the Fionavar Tapestry). Just my opinion.

Patrick

Patrick Boutin

grrr... sorry... I was certain that I was logged in but It came I wasn't!!!

The "guest" from the last post was just me!

Patrick

Adam

Gaming: Nothing. I should be reading the Forgotten Realms Campaign Book, but I'm not.

Fiction: First King of Shannara, by Terry Brooks. It's been years since I've read a Shannara book, so I figured I'd re-start right at the beginning . . .

DeadGirl

Just Finished: Fritz Leiber's Tales of Fahfrd and the Gray Mouser, Sophocles' Oedipus Rex.

Current: Brick, a literary journal.

About to Begin: Hayao Miyazaki's manga Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind.

~Kris

wyrdlyng

Comics: Just finished over two dozen graphic novels. (I strongly recommend the 100 Bullets series to anyone that likes bizarre conspiracies, btw.)

Fiction: Thieves' House: Tales of Fafhrd and Gray Mouser by Fritz Leiber. Perhaps another stab at making it through Focault's Pendulum when I'm done.

Non-Fiction: Drawing From Observation, CG 101: A Complete Graphics Industry Reference

Gaming: Mutants & Masterminds, rereading the Exalted main book.
Alex Hunter
Email | Web

Ian Charvill

I just finished The Road to McCarthy by Pete McCarthy, a very funny and insightful travel book about personal identity and Irishness.

I'm about to start either House of Leaves or William Gibson's new one, Pattern Recognition.
Ian Charvill

Jürgen Mayer

Quote from: Jason L BlairI'm slowing picking through Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon. It rocks the catbox. It's like reading a John Woo film while William Gibson whispers dirty what-whats in your ear.
What's it about?

Quote from: Matt WilsonLast good novel I read was probably something by Iain M. Banks.
His "A Player of Games" is one of my all-time favorites. Should be a must read for every gamer who likes SF.
Jürgen Mayer
Disaster Machine Productions
http://disastermachine.com

joshua neff

I just finished reading H. Rider Haggard's She. Great stuff.

I'm currently winging my way through Michael Moorcock's Kane of Old Mars, which is a tremendous amount of fun. I'm also hopping my way through McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales. It's edited by Michael Chabon & is chock full of some great short fiction by Harlan Ellison, Aimee Bender, Kelly Link, Glen David Gold, & others.

And as always, I'm constantly rereading the Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar & Thieves House. My love of Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser knows few, if any, bounds.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Jason L Blair

Quote from: Jürgen Mayer
Quote from: Jason L BlairI'm slowing picking through Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon. It rocks the catbox. It's like reading a John Woo film while William Gibson whispers dirty what-whats in your ear.
What's it about?

A detective who died and was "resleeved" (a common practice where one's cerebral stack is downloaded into a new body) by a rich man in order to figure out who the rich man's murderer was. You see, the rich man's cerebral stack is missing the last 48 hours and his death was ruled as a suicide...but the rich man doesn't buy that story.
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Rich Forest

Games: Rereading the D&D Basic and Expert rules again.  Ah, the nostalgia.  

Fiction: Rereading Tolkien—I'm through The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, and now I'm moving on to the Silmarillion.  All along, I've been browsing/reading Tolkien's letters.  

Nonfiction: Right now I'm reading Crime and Public Order in England in the Later Middle Ages, by John Bellamy.  Not the most recent work on the subject (1973), but interesting.

Rich