News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Jack Spencer Jr, April 05, 2003, 10:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Spencer Jr

What books are you currently reading or have recently read?

I had just finished Prey by Michael Crichton.
I wish I was a better reader because it seems to take me forever to plow through a book.

Matt Snyder

Quote from: Jack Spencer Jr
I wish I was a better reader because it seems to take me forever to plow through a book.

I have the same problem, and I read all sorts of stuff at once. Takes me forever, but I'm reading:

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
Timaeus by Plato
Conan Chronicles Vol. 1: Hour of the Dragon by Robert E. Howard (UK collection available on Amazon UK).
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Matt Machell

Just finished the chronicles of Prydain, Lloyd Alexander. I've started The Scar, by China Mieville today, and damn good it is too.

-Matt

Jake Norwood

RPGs: Over the Edge (thanks to you, Ron, and Ken Hite), and Werewolf:TA. I loved it in high school. I'm not so impressed, now, but I think I might butcher it and play anyway. I love just being a werewolf.

Fiction: I've got 20 pages left in Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets. After that it's either the next Potter book, or maybe Gates of Fire.

Nonfiction: Lots of stuff. Carnage and Culture (a book about the mindset of western-style warfare in history and now--sort of a rebuttal to Guns, Germs, and Steel). Machiavelli's The Prince. Will Wilson's Arte of Defence, a book on Rapier use. Joachim Meyer's Fechtbuch of 1570 (in translation from the German). All very good.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Clinton R. Nixon

RPGs: Underground (early-90s Vietnam-metaphor superhero game), The Burning Wheel, an independent fantasy RPG that I deem 75% of the way to greatness, with 25% of cruft that wouldn't let go.

Nonfiction: Outlaw Cook by John Thorne, an awesome book of essays on the simplicity of cooking. It's very Zen.

Computer books: Accelerated C++.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Ron Edwards

Currently, all of Kingsley Amis.

It was quite a surprise to discover that he'd written a Sorcerer novel (The Green Man).

Plus I'm slogging ever-so-slowly (although I do like it) through The Night Land, by William Hope Hodgson.

Best,
Ron

Anonymous

I'm reading the 10th book of the Wheel of Time cycle, whatever it's called.

Godawful long and far too lush for my tastes, but i've been reading the series for nearly 12 years, and i have to know how it ends.

szilard

Just finished Riddle of the Wren by Charles de Lint. I went to the library looking for stuff they didn't have, but I saw a de Lint novel I haven't read, so I grabbed it. It turns out that it was near-perfect inspiration for my current project, and helped me get over my mechanics-writer's-block.

Stuart
My very own http://www.livejournal.com/users/szilard/">game design journal.

Maurice Forrester

I've been slowly making my way through the Library of America's
"Reporting World War II."  Fascinating but I find that the older I get, the slower I read.

I'm also reading Robert B. Parker's latest Spenser novel.  Parker is like an old friend who keeps telling the same story over and over again, but I don't mind because he's an old friend.
Maurice Forrester

GreatWolf

Let's see.  I'm flipping between the following:

The Art of War, by Sun Tzu.

Ars Magica, 4th edition.

Who Fears the Devil?, by Manly Wade Wellman.

From Grief to Glory: Spiritual Journeys of Mourning Parents by James W. Bruce III.

And I'm thinking of rereading Book of the New Sun to keep me focused on Alyria.  (What I'm reading tends to rub off on what I'm writing.)

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

taalyn

Fiction: nothing right now, I just finished a huge fiction kick, and Wheel of Time killed all interest in fiction for a while. I despise that series. Couldn't pay me to read #10. I just don't care what color Nynaeve's dress is.

Nonfiction:
The Essential Gay Mystics ed. Andrew Harvey
The Self-Aware Universe Amit Goswami
The Kalevala tr. F.P. Magoun, "compiled" by Lonnrot
Sailors and Sexual Identity and [The Masculine Marine[/i], both by Steven Zeeland
How to Read Egyptian Mark Collier and Bill Manley

These were the first 6 books in my reading pile, from which I pull at random, or semi random anyway. There's probably 20 books in it, and I generally finish 2 books a week.

Aidan, known on campus as "The Reader"
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural

Thomas Tamblyn

Just finished reading:

Kil'n People by David Brin - Loved it despite disliking mosteverything else he's written.
Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon - Nice novel about autistics
Can you keep a secret? by Sophie Kinsella - Fun girly book.

I'm sure I should only put one, but I read these three over the course of four days so it seems appropriate.

Next up I'm looking to re-read the first book of Lankhmar (fantersy masterworks collection)

Hmm - need more books.

Simon W

In the middle of Vagabond (sequel to Harlequin about an English archer in the 1300's), by Bernard Cornwall. Excellent stuff.

Also forever reading the first five Amber novels (Roger Zelazny). The second five in the series are less good.

Also started on The Hinge Factor 'How Chance and Stupidity Have Changed History', by Erik Durmschmied.

Next on the list A History of Warfare by John Keegan and Duncton Wood (again) by William Horwood.

Gideon
http://www.geocities.com/simonwashbourne/Beyond_Belief.html

Brian Leybourne

I just finished reading "The Web 2027" by a bunch of british authors (one was Peter Hamilton of Nights Dawn fame, I don't recall the others).

Pretty good stuff really, worth checking out.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Shreyas Sampat

Trying to work up the guts to read the Harry Potter series in French.

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami... hard to describe, postmodernist Japanese fiction deeply rooted in history.

Campbell's Masks of God series, particularly the Oriental one.

A Clockwork Orange.

The Arabian Nights, vol. II, the Zipes adaptation of the Burton translation.  Like Seth, I tend to write like what I'm reading, and Torchbearer's intended to have very distinctive diction, somewhere between Murakami's dry precision and the floweriness of the Arabic style.

Looking for a copy of Sheila Moon's Knee-deep in Thunder.