News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Giving SA points to characters

Started by Tywin Lannister, April 07, 2003, 10:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tywin Lannister

Yesterday we finally had our first full-blooded session, and it was a blast. We learned the combat system through play (a nobleman's son and a house knight training in the courtyard).

The rules say characters should earn 3-5 points pr. session. Isn't this a little much? Is this for a "fast" character growth? How do I decide where they get points? (on which SA). In the session, they witnessed a funeral and participated in a feast afterwards, and the day after they trained, so there wasn't much "growth" or what I shall call it.

Also, how do characters improve their proficiencies (weapons/maneuvers), and how do they get new proficiencies (by starting to train in a different weapon in-game I assume, and ruled).

Cheers
The trees bend their boughs towards the earth and nighttime birds float as black faces.

Valamir

I suspect that what you'll find is that there are few SA points awarded during the build-up and bridge sessions, and then MASSIVE SA points awarded during the climactic intense sessions.  The only points I'm aware of that get automatically awarded every session are the points for Luck.

If I had my book with me I could tell you exactly where those rules are, but IIRC proficiencies are purchased by spending down SA points.

Shadeling

Also the book recommends awarding a point of destiny after a long/hard session.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Jake Norwood

Actually...I give them out whenever earned. When playing with Ron and Ralph, that means constantly. When playing with most folks back here, that means 2-3 points per session. Don't worry about "overpowering" a TROS character. They're all always mortal.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Mike Holmes

Yeah, SA points make a great "candy" reward. That is, chuck a point to anyone who does something you think is cool as GM. This kind of reward keeps players right in a game at all times. Like dogs begging for treats.

The neat thing is that, given that they choose the SAs, they're rewarding themselves as well. Double reinforcement.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Mike HolmesYeah, SA points make a great "candy" reward. That is, chuck a point to anyone who does something you think is cool as GM. This kind of reward keeps players right in a game at all times. Like dogs begging for treats.

You can even take this idea one step further and make it literal. Jake suggested once getting a bunch of poker chips, and the red ones would have a 'D' on them for Drive, and the blue ones a 'C' for Conscience, etc. As the players earn SA's, actually throw them the chips. That'll get them right into the begging for treats thing :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Tywin Lannister

Thanks for the helpful replies. I guess they'll stay mortal :D
The trees bend their boughs towards the earth and nighttime birds float as black faces.

Mike Holmes

Brian, I've actually used candy for some games.

And, yes, if you eat them they're gone.

This way you can give out heaps of the rewards, and only some come back into play. The rest serve the behavior enhancement purpose just fine. Gotta watch out for that player on a diet, however.

Problematic for TROS, because they have to go into a category. I suppose you could have several bowls...

But, yeah, definitely physically hand them out somehow. Handling rewards just attaches players to them all the more strongly. Jake throws your SA dice to you, for example, as you invoke them, occasionally.

Mike

Spartan

Quote from: Mike HolmesBut, yeah, definitely physically hand them out somehow. Handling rewards just attaches players to them all the more strongly. Jake throws your SA dice to you, for example, as you invoke them, occasionally.

Very cool.  It just gave me the idea to have a bowl in the middle of the table full of really cool-looking d10s for use when invoking one's SAs.  That way the players see that bowl there all game, enticing them to come up with reasons to use their SAs... it would be a constant reminder.  I can also hear the collective groan when the Seneschal reaches over the screen and grabs SA dice for his antagonist NPCs! :D

The candy thing is a good idea, too.  Either that or those little bags of chips you can get for lunch bags.  Heck, even a shot of alcohol would be appropriate for some groups!  At the very least you'd become a VERY popular Seneschal regardless of how great or sucky your game is. ;)

-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

Mike Holmes

Shots, Mark? That could get messy fast, depending on the system. :-)

Mike

Spartan

Quote from: Mike HolmesShots, Mark? That could get messy fast, depending on the system. :-)

Ah, but that's messy in a good way!

But hey, in the Rolemaster campaign I play in, we often drink scotch or ale during sessions.  We even had heated mead once.  If I can play RM while drinking, then TROS shouldn't be much of a problem! :D

Then again, if you're the type of person that throws caution to the winds when you've had a small amount of alcohol, the Booze-TROS might not be condusive to keeping your character alive.  Better bring a backup.  The upside of this is as long as you've spent your booze-rewarded SA points, you've got more insight points to beef up your new character... once you've sobered up.

You're not drunk as long as you drop less than 50% of your dice. ;)

-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

Jake Norwood

Actually, Dav Harnish (of Obsidian) worked out a TROS drinking game. I don't remember the rules (I don't drink...), but I think every point of shock is a shot of vodka and every point of pain is a teaspoon of wasabi. Heh heh...

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

hanschristianandersen

A TRoS drinking game?  Ayaiyai that's a perilous idea...

If you don't mind, I'd like to steer the thread back on topic for my first Forge post.  I just ran the first session of a TRoS game, and I found that while the book has specific guidelines on how (and when) to award SA points, I didn't use those guidelines at all.  Instead, I just gave out a point whenever it "felt right".

As an example, the dramatic high point of the session was a sparring match between two PC's, neither of whom had much skill with a sword... under a more experienced PC's watchful eye, they were training themselves in preparation for seeking revenge against the antagonists of the campaign.  In one exchange, one PC made a gutsy, luck-dice-fuelled all-out attack, scoring eight successes... while the receiver botched her defense, and ended up with a concussion.

For that exciting moment, I ended up giving out several SA points - One Luck to the defender for having such a spectacularly unlucky roll, one Luck to the attacker for having such a spectacularly lucky roll, and one Drive (Become an Expert Swordsman) to the attacker.

Then, the attacking player roleplayed his character's shock and dismay at what he had just done... so I gave him a point for his Destiny (To Shed Innocent Blood on the Path to Revenge) because his practice strike had foreshadowed his destiny so well.

The rewards were all very ad-hoc and spur-of-the-moment, rather than according to any premeditated guidelines.  Is that how most of you do it?
Hans Christian Andersen V.
Yes, that's my name.  No relation.

Jake Norwood

That's how I do it. The guidlines are there because folks flip-out if they're not, but "when it feels right" is exactly right.

Jake