News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I'd like to share my work but... (edited)

Started by edomaur, April 15, 2003, 04:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edomaur

Hello,

Since 1996 I'm working on a game universe and rpg called "Ajia, le monde de la Noire Essence" (Ajia, world of the Black Spirit). The universe of Ajia is not a standard Fantasy world. No Elves, if you see what I mean... ;)  but also some really challenging question about death, power, immortality, racism, trust and commercial monopoles, and more important tongue-in-cheek views of anything that should be seriously considered in a working setting.

However, I'm not here to discuss the setting of La Noire Essence, but to share some ideas I' had in the process of writing the game engine.

The process of putting the game engine together was a long one, with many iterations. I and my friends have worked on some interesting variants, and finally, we came with a ruleset that is good enough for us :), the FoCal engine (FoCal doesn't mean anything serious).

- an "atomic" approach : the rules work with d6 and points, and can be used dice-wise or dice-less or both.
- stickers : the traits are tagged. When the tag is used in a situation, the PC get some advantages, or, if the player roleplay his part, get some control over the situation.

I'd like to share and discuss here more of the design, but it is very difficult for me to translate my work. Thus, my question is : is someone interested to translate the FoCal engine from French in English ?

EDIT : Hum, it is not a very clear posting... In fact, I have a game engine which is written in French, and I'm searching a good person totranslate this work in English for further discussions on this forum...
Antoine Boegli
production manager
2d Sans Faces, société coopérative
http://www.2dsansfaces.com

taalyn

I'd be willing to look at it, but if it's long, it might take me a while to translate. If your French is particularly full of slang, it could take longer. If it's standard literary French, a couple pages long, I could have it pretty quick.

Aidan
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural

edomaur

Quote from: taalynI'd be willing to look at it, but if it's long, it might take me a while to translate. If your French is particularly full of slang, it could take longer. If it's standard literary French, a couple pages long, I could have it pretty quick.

Aidan
Ok. No, it is not full of slang, but I know that my French could be hard. I have a 30 pages document, but much of the space is lists of some sort that I can cut.

However, thank you for your interest. I'll PM you for the contact.
Antoine Boegli
production manager

Jonathan Walton

Hey Antoine!

Since I haven't had a chance to say it yet, welcome to the Forge.  2d Sans Faces does great work and it's cool to see you here.

One thought: if you could put the system up on a webpage somewhere, even if it was in French, the rest of us could use an online translation program (like Google's or Babelfish) to get the gist of how it works.  The translation would be fairly odd and not nearly as good as what a human could do, but I think it would serve the purposes you want it to.

edomaur

Quote from: Jonathan WaltonHey Antoine!

Since I haven't had a chance to say it yet, welcome to the Forge.  2d Sans Faces does great work and it's cool to see you here.

Hey, thank you very much ! :)

(In fact, I'm not new, I was lurking here since some time...)

Quote from: Jonathan WaltonOne thought: if you could put the system up on a webpage somewhere, even if it was in French, the rest of us could use an online translation program (like Google's or Babelfish) to get the gist of how it works.  The translation would be fairly odd and not nearly as good as what a human could do, but I think it would serve the purposes you want it to.

It is already planned, I'm working on the HTML for putting the system online sometime next week. However, I had not thinked about the babelized access. Good idea. :)
Antoine Boegli
production manager

Kester Pelagius

Greetings edomaur,

Quote from: edomaur
It is already planned, I'm working on the HTML for putting the system online sometime next week. However, I had not thinked about the babelized access. Good idea. :)

Speaking of which. . .  Have you thought about using such a translation program yourself to do a quickie translation of your documents, then proofing it (Babbel sometimes only does fair job) yourself?

Might be a shortcut to translating the entire thing.  Plus, since it is your material, who better to see if Babbel, or whatever program you decide to use, accurately translated the implied meaning of the text?

Just a thought.

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

Jeffrey Miller

Quote from: Kester PelagiusSpeaking of which. . .  Have you thought about using such a translation program yourself to do a quickie translation of your documents, then proofing it (Babbel sometimes only does fair job) yourself?

*nod*  That's how I got my copy of Miles Christi - a scanner, two passes with decent translation software, and a week or so of proofing with a 5-inch thick French<->English dictionary.  Its not too painful, promise :)

-j-

edomaur

Quote from: Jeffrey Miller
Quote from: Kester PelagiusSpeaking of which. . .  Have you thought about using such a translation program yourself to do a quickie translation of your documents, then proofing it (Babbel sometimes only does fair job) yourself?

*nod*  That's how I got my copy of Miles Christi - a scanner, two passes with decent translation software, and a week or so of proofing with a 5-inch thick French<->English dictionary.  Its not too painful, promise :)

-j-
Hum.
I've worked as an editor and proof-reader for the translation of Nobilis from English to French, and you have to know that it was absolutelly impossible to obtain a passable translation through a software. I'm not pretending that I write with as much style and talent than R.Sean Borgstrom, but sometimes, my kung-fu is quite strong... Ok, only in French. ;)
However, I've got some first reading from Taalyn, who has already spotted some errors in the rules :)
Antoine Boegli
production manager

Jeffrey Miller

Quote from: edomaurI've worked as an editor and proof-reader for the translation of Nobilis from English to French, and you have to know that it was absolutelly impossible to obtain a passable translation through a software. I'm not pretending that I write with as much style and talent than R.Sean Borgstrom, but sometimes, my kung-fu is quite strong... Ok, only in French. ;)

You do end up having to rewrite big chunks, but it does get the vast majority of the general meaning parsed into English so you can rewrite it in the first place.

-j-