News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Anyone familiar with OpenOffice?

Started by Kester Pelagius, April 25, 2003, 04:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kester Pelagius

Greetings,

I've (just recently) got it installed.  It seems to work fine, far as I can tell.  Though it's a hassle to have to save my files into a different format, but as OO seems to read them just fine it's not that much of a problem.   Until I get to graphics and PDFing.

Long story short:  Once I get everything reformmated in OpenOffice and export to PDF I am noticing that some images are coming out looking, well, call it grainy or pixellated.  Yet they look just fine in OpenOffice and PDF just fine when using a print to PDF method.

Any ideas?

Could it be the source image file format?  If so what format of image file have you found to work best with OO?

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

J. Backman

What dpi are you working with? Most images you can find on the web, say jpg's, have about 72 dpi (dots per inch), and don't look good at all when printed out or included in a pdf. For good-quality images you need at least 300 dpi.
Pasi Juhani Backman

Kester Pelagius

Greetings,

Quote from: J. BackmanWhat dpi are you working with? Most images you can find on the web, say jpg's, have about 72 dpi (dots per inch), and don't look good at all when printed out or included in a pdf. For good-quality images you need at least 300 dpi.

Mostly 200 DPI.  I've found 200 DPI (TIFFs) to work fine, more or less, when using the print to PDF method.  But if 300 DPI is better that could be it.

Too, I'm wondering if some image quality might not be lost when OpenOffice reads from a Word file?

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

J. Backman

Quote from: Kester PelagiusMostly 200 DPI.  I've found 200 DPI (TIFFs) to work fine, more or less, when using the print to PDF method.  But if 300 DPI is better that could be it.

Too, I'm wondering if some image quality might not be lost when OpenOffice reads from a Word file?

I suspect the loss of image quality happens during the creating of the pdf file. Most document to pdf converters do have quite a lot of settings that affect the image quality and color settings. Try checking the pdf-converter's settings.
Pasi Juhani Backman