News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Special Abilities question

Started by urbwar, April 29, 2003, 12:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbwar

Got a question about SA's.

I'm working on a series seed where the characters would be ghostbuster types, but are chinese (it will make sense when I get the backstory written). To take on the ghosts, etc, they use a form of asian magic where they use paper charms and such. One kind of spell would be one that acts to restrain supernatural creatures. Now since this doesn't do damage to the creatures, I'm not sure if I should make it as an offensive SA or a miscellaneous one. Any suggestions?
Join the Buffy Rpg Mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/btvsrpg-eden/

Cynthia Celeste Miller

That would be a Miscellaneous SA.  =0)
Cynthia Celeste Miller
President, Spectrum Games
www.spectrum-games.com

urbwar

Quote from: Cynthia Celeste MillerThat would be a Miscellaneous SA.  =0)

Ok.

Looking through my book, I figure it will need a duration, and advantage, major as components. Probably charges (to represent a limited amount of the paper charms on the caster's person). I'm going to have to keep thinking on this one for the moment...

Cynthia Celeste Miller

Here's what I'd use to design the SA in question:

* Range
* Rating (to represent the "strength" of the restraints)
* Bonus: Advantage, Major (can affect incorporeal targets)
* Bonus: Weightless (the items are paper)
* Restriction: Charges, Minor
* Restriction: Item

Of course, this isnm't set in stone.  The fun thing about SAs is that everyone can build the same SA differently.  The above list is just how I'd do it.

I hope this helps.
Cynthia Celeste Miller
www.spectrum-games.com

Norbert

I would say, make it a Miscellaneous SA with Power Level (goes without saying... you always start with a Power Level), then add an appropriate Range, Duration, Major Advantage ("banishes ghosts"), ...a Trait Rating if you want to. From what I understand, the most appropriate Restrictions in our rules system would be: Item, and Limited Use, Moderate (which gives each character with the SA about a dozen paper charms or so).

Good idea. I hope it'll work in your game.

Cynthia, this time you were faster...

Norbert

Are the "Limited Use" restrictions now called Charges?

I tend to associate the term Charges with the HERO System 5th Edition... I mean, it's no problem naming it Charges or something similar, but in the .PDF version of Cartoon Action Hour those restrictions were still known as "Limited Use".

Cynthia Celeste Miller

Quote from: NorbertAre the "Limited Use" restrictions now called Charges?

I tend to associate the term Charges with the HERO System 5th Edition... I mean, it's no problem naming it Charges or something similar, but in the .PDF version of Cartoon Action Hour those restrictions were still known as "Limited Use".

Yes, the name was changed in the hardcopy version.  Very few of these changes were made though.  The other one that comes to mind is that "Restriction, Minor" (etc.) was changed to "Disadvantage, Minor" (etc.).
Cynthia Celeste Miller
www.spectrum-games.com

urbwar

Quote from: Cynthia Celeste MillerHere's what I'd use to design the SA in question:

* Range
* Rating (to represent the "strength" of the restraints)
* Bonus: Advantage, Major (can affect incorporeal targets)
* Bonus: Weightless (the items are paper)
* Restriction: Charges, Minor
* Restriction: Item

Of course, this isnm't set in stone.  The fun thing about SAs is that everyone can build the same SA differently.  The above list is just how I'd do it.

I hope this helps.

That actually looks perfect to me. Thanks for the assist there; I'm still getting used to the whole SA rules...

urbwar

Quote from: NorbertI would say, make it a Miscellaneous SA with Power Level (goes without saying... you always start with a Power Level), then add an appropriate Range, Duration, Major Advantage ("banishes ghosts"), ...a Trait Rating if you want to. From what I understand, the most appropriate Restrictions in our rules system would be: Item, and Limited Use, Moderate (which gives each character with the SA about a dozen paper charms or so).

Good idea. I hope it'll work in your game.

Norbert,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm designing two series seeds based around cartoon shows that will be backstoried as having been a co-production between a independant station in America, and a studio in Taiwan. Both cartoons had short runs right before the saturday morning kung fu movie show, known as Chop-Sock Drive In.

Not sure if I will actually run either one, but it's fun to write them up just to get used to the rules and such.

Cynthia Celeste Miller

Quote from: urbwar
That actually looks perfect to me. Thanks for the assist there; I'm still getting used to the whole SA rules...

No problemo.

It takes awhile to fully master the SA rules, but once you do, nothing is impossible.
Cynthia Celeste Miller
www.spectrum-games.com

Cynthia Celeste Miller

Quote from: urbwarI'm designing two series seeds based around cartoon shows that will be backstoried as having been a co-production between a independant station in America, and a studio in Taiwan. Both cartoons had short runs right before the saturday morning kung fu movie show, known as Chop-Sock Drive In.

Not sure if I will actually run either one, but it's fun to write them up just to get used to the rules and such.

I like that backstory.  Adds a certain depth to the series.  Care to elaborate on the series itself?
Cynthia Celeste Miller
www.spectrum-games.com

urbwar

Quote from: Cynthia Celeste MillerI like that backstory.  Adds a certain depth to the series.  Care to elaborate on the series itself?

I'll give a synopsis, since I only started on one, and the other (which the SA I inquired about is for) is still just in my mind.

The first one is going to be called Mighty Tiger Force. Basically, it revolves around some martial artists who were trained at Shaolin Temple. While wandering China, they find a province where the local Governor taxes the populace too much, and oppresses them. So, in the vein of Iron Monkey and Robin Hood, they set about using their skills as masked bandits, stealing from the Governor, and giving the money back to the people. Each member uses the name Tiger in their bandit name, hence the name of the group. Bad guys are the Governor, the local Magistrate, and other evil doers in the Governor's employ (including lots of goon troops).

The After Show Message would alternate between historical facts about China, making sure kids don't try these stunts at home (and if they want to, to seek proper training), and the typical after show messages about fire prevention, etc

The second series is going to be called Righteous Ghost Fighter (aka Chinese Ghostbusters). That one is about a Taoist Priest who uses martial arts and magic to battle ghosts, hopping vampires and the like. He has assistants who tend to get into more trouble. This series is inspired by the first Mr. Vampire movie from Hong Kong, which had a nice blend of comedy, martial arts, and supernatural horror, but not to the point of being overly scary (my 13 year old nephew watched it with me when he was 12, and he found it pretty funny overall). The magic they tend to use in these movies are spells on rice paper, hence the paper charms.

As I said, I am working on the backstory for the two series first, then will do Mighty Tiger Force, then Righteous Ghost Fighter. I figured I would try and create a few series that were a little different, but still 80s in outlook. Hopefully the end result will work out well

urbwar

Quote from: Cynthia Celeste Miller

No problemo.

It takes awhile to fully master the SA rules, but once you do, nothing is impossible.

I get the concept behind SA's, and most of them are pretty easy (like offensive/defensive). I think the Misc. ones could use some examples (maybe in that upcoming companion book?) as that one was the least described in the main rules. Offensive and Defensive ones are easy, Transportation ones had examples with some of the sample characters, and the Animal Companion/Vehicle rules were easy to figure out. It was just the Misc ones that aren't as easy, because you can do so much with that one type of SA...

Norbert

urbwar, I think you're quite right.
But as long as the Misc. SAs are there in the core rulebook, and the readers get the concept behind them and venture out to build their own abilities with those rules, we're fine.

From what I understand, future updates, After These Messages, and the Series Books will all have their own helpings of additional SAs explained, and some Series Books are even going to feature a few additional rules, or modified ones (such as some for magic in Darkness Unleashed).

Miscellaneous SAs are basically the "none of the above" category of abilities behind everything else. So, if it's not a weapon or attack, not a defense, not transportation, not a vehicle and not an animal companion, it ought to be subsumed under Misc. SAs.
Just a few examples: Growth/Shrink abilities would be Miscellaneous, Trait Modifications would be Misc., or any ability that gives you invisibility or changes the colors of your character's clothing.

Knarf

How would one design a MASK type vehicle for CAH? The obvious route is to  use the vehicle SCPs to purchase a Transformation SA to get another pool of SCPs. However, this seems slightly hinky. A munchkin could easily devote all his SCPs to the subSA and get huge points for the transformed vehicle form.

Or should the transformed mode SAs by purchased at normal cost, but with a Restriction or Disadvantage of some kind?

This would also clarify a Robotech style series, with the characters as pilots of transformable mechas.