News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

New Site News

Started by Jason L Blair, September 09, 2001, 05:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason L Blair

Just to let you all know that I've been working, here's a sneak preview of the new site. Expect the rest up very soon.

http://www.key20.com/littlefears/newindex.html

I only have two pages of it loaded (so none of the links on the main page work) but this should give you a feel for how it's going to be).

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Jared A. Sorensen

Get rid of the "enter" on the first page. There's a big graphic, it's got a DOOR on it ferchrissikes. :wink:

Although I like contextual menus (ie: ones that are info-vague but mood-descriptive), they're a pain in the ass when you're looking for the info. A rollover would be one way to handle it (add the info in the rollover)...or you could just add the "real links" somewhere (at the top of the page, perhaps)...makes it easier for disabled* users as well.

- j

*or whatever we're supposed to call it nowadays.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Tyrant

Very nice...

Good mix of content and design IMO

Can't wait to see more!!

"power flows from the barrel of a gun" - Mao

Owner
Slave State Gaming
www.slave-state.com
Webmaster
Digital RPG
www.digitalrpg.org

Deadstop

I have to agree with the talented Mr. Sorenson.

Love the basic setup, but the link names are more evocative than useful, especially once folks actually start visiting the site regularly.  A mouseover would indeed be a good solution.

Also, for what it's worth, I personally can't stand "enter" pages.  I've never understood the point of them.  Not only do they require an extra click, but they are usually minimalist as hell -- cf. the "ticket" page on John Tynes' otherwise wonderful site.  By what criteria are these an improvement over the alternative?  (If someone can actually explain it to me, please feel free.  I stand ready to learn.)

Stacy Stroud (deadstop@gte.net)
Hex Entertainment, Inc. (www.hexgames.com)
Stacy Stroud (deadstop@wombatzone.com)
Hex Entertainment, Inc. (http://www.hexgames.com)

Jason L Blair

Count on a mouse-over to help with navigation. That actually was a thought I'd had from the beginning, but I haven't sliced the image menu yet so didn't put in the code. As far as splash pages... yeah, a lot of the time they're gratuitous and more annoying than anything else. However, for the LF site I think it gives a starting point. You begin outside the door to this room and should you choose to open it, I tell you what you see and what your options are. Starting right inside the room is a bit too jarring for my tastes. The splash screen give a nice intro to the "story."

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer