News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Glossary

Started by clehrich, April 30, 2003, 12:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clehrich

Given the various debates about definitions, plus the new definitions & terms that are cropping up lately, I'm wondering about a glossary.  Specifically, I think it might be very useful to have a glossary with links to definition debates.  This could be in the articles, or somewhere like that.  So when you have the term Gamism in the glossary, it has links to "GNS and Other...", the Gamism essay, and some fundamental discussion(s) about what this means.  Seems to me this would help ground discussion, because rather than having to search and maybe not find the discussion you're looking for, you could say, "Check out the third link on the glossary for term X" and leave it at that.

Of course, somebody would have to be willing to do the legwork...
Chris Lehrich

Ron Edwards

Hi Chris,

Take a look through this forum for any thread titles with "glossary" in them. Plenty of reading for you there.

I've decided to build the glossary through writing the current series of articles. You can see its first steps at the end of the Simulationism essay; the Gamism essay is currently in the hands of the first draft readers and sports an even longer list. By the time the Narrativism one comes out (and possibly a fourth that I'm considering), the cumulative effect will indeed be a Forge glossary.

Best,
Ron

Jack Spencer Jr

Hrms... Every once in a while someone suggests that someone write up a glossary for the various Forge terms and then nothing comes of it. I am also guilty of this. Fortunately, something has finally come of it in the Simulationist essay, which does have a glossary at the end for several key terms. The thing about this is that many of the terms are still up to debate and subject to change and I don't thing anyone really wants that job. Like cleaning the toilet, everyone agrees it should be done but nobody wants to do it.