News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TRoS Group Hug: Part 2

Started by arxhon, May 11, 2003, 10:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorbrin

Hello Arxhon I am in Trenton,Ontario about a  2 hour drive east of Toronto on the 401.
Its a small city of about 16,000 people centred around an air base.
The gaming community in this area is large, besides hockey and beer what else is there to do but game! (hahah)
I will be introducing the gaming group to TROS soon. Hopefuly within the next couple of weeks.
"That wich we do in life echoes in eternity!!"

Brian Leybourne

I've been to Trenton (I was born in Canada, even though I live in NZ now). Not a bad little town actually. I didn't realise there was a big gamer population though.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Thorbrin

Hello Brian, Trenton is pretty small. I am actually from Belleville,moved here to Trenton to make my wife happy and because of work.
The gaming community here is actualy pretty big and covers a whole spectrum of games. D&D,Star Trek,Star Wars,Vampire & Werewolf,Rolemaster,Warhammer,Warhammer 40k,Battletech(this game is very popular with the military crowd),Udiscovered,MERP,Gurps, Magic(and all the other card games) all have groups .Soon TROS will be added to this list. I have to add that card games are slowing down a lot.  All of the gamers within an hour drive basicly come here to game,Belleville(a rock throw away from Trenton),Trenton,Picton,Tweed,Cambellford etc.
We are lucky to have 2 gaming stores as well. In Trenton J&B Books is great always packed with people and he stocks a lot of product too. Recently it has become a little GW crazy(Warhammer everywhere).
J&B Books is a great store but regretfully the owner does not know a lot about gaming, heck I think he doesnt want to know.So if you want something that is not from Wizards or White Wolf,Palladium you have to let him know. Just as long as people want to buy it he will stock it. He is a great guy though.
In Belleville we have Chaos Comics, this is the die hard gaming shop that you here about on most boards. The owners are gamers, its gamer paradise(a great place to meet fellow gamers,hook up for games,or just talk shop) but they dont stock much in the way of product and customer assistance leaves a lot to be desired. If you are looking for a obscure game though this is the place to go. Both stores have game nights Wed to Sat every week with tables and play space for most games.
Several Conventions and games days also happen every year within an hour drive .
A buddy of mine recently moved to Australia(one of those internet relationships), I wonder what the gaming scene is like over there?
Anyways I am rambling sorry for this long post guys.
"That wich we do in life echoes in eternity!!"

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: ThorbrinA buddy of mine recently moved to Australia(one of those internet relationships), I wonder what the gaming scene is like over there?

That's like saying "Hey, I hear you come from Europe... Do you know such-and-such?"... Australia is a pretty damn big place, you know :-)

But there's a not bad gaming scene over there, better than New Zealand although also more expensive than New Zealand in terms of costs of buying books etc (An RPG book that costs $80 in Aussie will be $70-$80 here, on top of which one Aussie dollar buys about NZ$1.15 on the exchange rate so it's even cheaper to buy the stuff here).

(edit: You gys in the States think you have it tough with your $29.95 or even -gasp- $39.95 RPG books... those prices are unheard of down here, even softcover 128 page RPG books usually start at about $50 in NZ/Aussie, and many/most RPG books are in the $80-$100 range).

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Lance D. Allen

So gaming is even less of a hobby, and more of an obsession down there, I take it.

Man, just the other day I saw a softcover supplement for $20.. Damn these skyrocketing prices!
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: WolfenMan, just the other day I saw a softcover supplement for $20.. Damn these skyrocketing prices!

Yeah yeah, laugh it up...

On the other hand, at least we don't have George Bush for a president, so it evens out :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Salamander

Quote from: Brian LeybourneI've been to Trenton (I was born in Canada, even though I live in NZ now). Not a bad little town actually. I didn't realise there was a big gamer population though.

Brian.

So have I. I grew up in a small town called Lindsay, not too terribly far off (100km/60miles). I have also been to CFB Trenton on business as well.

There are usually a small group of die hards (10-20) who game in the smaller towns. I am thinking TRoS will begin to blossom out there soon. I have been telling all of my old school chums of it and they have been downloading "A Hint" for themselves. Sadly I think TRoS can be had cheaper by buying it here in Calgary at The Sentry Box and then having it mailed out. A mate of mine saved over $50.00 this way when buying RMFRP a few years back. Bloody hell, I should buy stock in them Sentry Box guys.

So Brian, where in Canada were you born?
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: SalamanderSo Brian, where in Canada were you born?

Montreal, but we didn't live there very long. To be honest, I'm more of a Kiwi than a Canuck - most of my life I have lived down here, but the roots run deep as they say.

I think Toronto is my favourite place, although Ottawa would come a (very) close second.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Salamander

Quote from: Brian Leybourne

Montreal, but we didn't live there very long. To be honest, I'm more of a Kiwi than a Canuck - most of my life I have lived down here, but the roots run deep as they say.

I think Toronto is my favourite place, although Ottawa would come a (very) close second.

Brian.

I know what you mean, if you don't culturally acclimatize, you fail to prosper. So being a Kiwi makes sense. I had a few friends who are Kiwis. No, I'm not going to bloody ask. Besides one was from Christchurch and another from Wellington.

Montreal is a nice city. I visited it as a kid. My French sure came in handy. Of course I can barely give a perfuntory greeting now...

Why is T.O. your favourite place? I liked it when I was there, but I much prefer Calgary.
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: SalamanderWhy is T.O. your favourite place? I liked it when I was there, but I much prefer Calgary.

I'm sure it's only because I have never been to Calgary :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Spartan

Quote from: Brian LeybourneI'm sure it's only because I have never been to Calgary :-)

Well, that goes without saying! ;)

-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

Bomilkar

Well, I'd like to give all of you a hug from Germany, but I fear my arms are too short, the Ocean too wide, the out-of-range penalty too big.

<sniff>
Battle? There is always a desire for breathing space motivating it somewhere.
The Bashar Teg

Jake Norwood

How is old TROS in Germany anyway?

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

arxhon

QuoteI'm sure it's only because I have never been to Calgary :-)

Trust me, you don't want to go to Calgary! It's full of rednecks! And the Flames Suck! :-P (Little bit of friendly CowTown/E-Town rivalry there)

Wow, lots of Canadians and ex-Canadians here. Viva Canada!

QuoteWell, I'd like to give all of you a hug from Germany, but I fear my arms are too short, the Ocean too wide, the out-of-range penalty too big.

Hey, no worries. Thordrim lives about as far from me as he does from you (Canada's BIIG, like "i would have to drive hard for 21 hours straight to get to Trenton" big).

Spartan

Quote from: arxhon
Trust me, you don't want to go to Calgary! It's full of rednecks!
Hey, the don't call Edmonton "Redmonton" for nothing! ;)
QuoteAnd the Flames Suck! :-P
True dat.
Quote(Little bit of friendly CowTown/E-Town rivalry there)
Well, I'm a Haligonian originally, so you can poke fun at Cowtown all you like! :D
QuoteHey, no worries. Thordrim lives about as far from me as he does from you (Canada's BIIG, like "i would have to drive hard for 21 hours straight to get to Trenton" big).
Reminds me of a rather funny story (perhaps apochryphal) about some (I think) dutch relatives/acquaintances visiting Canada and having NO sense of scale... the Vancouverites were asked to pick the dutch relative up at the airport (in Halifax) so he could visit the folks in Vancouver.  As every gamer knows, maps are your friend! :D

Remeber: TROS can overcome even a Redmonton-Cowtown rivalry, and that's saying something! ;)

-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.