News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TRoS Group Hug: Part 2

Started by arxhon, May 11, 2003, 10:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arxhon

Quote from: ThorbrinI must say that this seems to be a very freindly forum. It is a really nice change from the usual stuck up jerks that I tend to see at other boards.

Yeah, we're all great folks around here. Not sure why that is, but i'm not complaining.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that there are no egos on display. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it is a friendly board, and everyone notices it, values it and tries to keep it that way, consciously or otherwise. Maybe it's because TRoS attracts cool, laid back folks in the first place.

Whatever the reason is, this Forum is a far preferable place to many other boards. Cheers, all! :-)

Jake Norwood

Yeah, it's always a pleasure here. This is the first board I check every day (sometimes very often), and there aren't any of you that I wouldn't go out for a drink with (if I drank, that is...).

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

JESTER

Hear, Hear!

I couldn't agree more

A Guinness for everyone !

(If Jake doesn't want his I'll drink it for him)

It refreshes your spirit

LAte,
Jester
"No plan survives contact with the enemy"  -Moltke

Anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Salamander

If it has to do with the fact many of us own swords... ;)
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Stephen

I think it's more that people here just want to talk about the game, not about personal planks or soapboxes.  Even the worst arguments I've seen here have been about things that were at least tangentially game-related -- martial arts and historical stuff, etc.  Scholarly arguments are always less inherently ulcer-inducing than political, to me anyway.

The moderators also do a fairly good job of keeping things on-topic and diplomatic, which tends to alienate those people whose qualities don't always include tact.  (*COUGH*gleichman*COUGH*)

But yeah, it's nice after the free-for-all flamefests of other boards to drop in here and breathe a quiet sigh of relief.  Like the peace and tranquility of a distinguished gentleman's club after spending time in Satan's Circus down in the Five Points.

(By the way, if anyone wants to see a TROS-style primitive mass battle, check out the first ten minutes of Gangs of New York.  The things you can do to somebody with farm implements and kitchen knives....)
Even Gollum may yet have something to do. -- Gandalf

Lance D. Allen

Quote from: Jake NorwoodYeah, it's always a pleasure here. This is the first board I check every day (sometimes very often), and there aren't any of you that I wouldn't go out for a drink with (if I drank, that is...).

Jake

Yanno Jake, I may have opportunity to take you up on that offer soon. I've got 2 weeks of training at Ft. Williams, which I'm told is rather close to Provo. If it's possible, I'd like to see about meetin' up with you for an evening or something.

Edit: BTW.. When/Where's part 1?
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Jake Norwood

Hey lance. If you're up near provo you gotta come stay a night with us or something. I may also be in the Phoenix area for several months in the near future as well (in about a year, that is). Sounds like fun.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Jake Norwood

Tywin Lannister

A theory I have is that people here are nice because it's kind of a new thing to many, and there is a certain kind of bonding which is lost on boards with zillions of people (and the more people = the greater chance of attracting uhm...those who get *coughed* at). Am I onto something or am I ruining the fun? Anyway, big hug from me to you :D
The trees bend their boughs towards the earth and nighttime birds float as black faces.

Eamon Voss

I like this board because people are good natured, willing to share ideas, and most importantly, willing to learn from others.
Realism in a melee game is not a matter of critical hit charts, but rather the ability to impart upon the player the dynamism of combat.

Spartan

Quote from: Tywin LannisterA theory I have is that people here are nice because it's kind of a new thing to many, and there is a certain kind of bonding which is lost on boards with zillions of people

Very true.  I'm a mod on the HârnForum, and we've got less than 500 members, and only 100 post with any regularity.  The atmoshpere is mostly friendly and cooperative, and I hardly have to do any mod-ing. :)  The same applies here, for sure!  So here's a glass of Lagavulin (or Talisker, Cardhu, etc) to y'all! :)

-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

kanseg

Eamon Voss said:

QuoteI like this board because people are good natured, willing to share ideas, and most importantly, willing to learn from others.

The same goes for me.  I think the game attracts the kind of roleplayer who wants to create a seriously good experience so the board itself attracts a better 'class' of roleplayer.

In my case the game mechanics blew me away in how real they felt when compared to my weapons sparring experience.  I certainly plan on running a game very soon - hopefully June.

Regards

kanseg

Thorbrin

Being Canadian I must say a nice cold BEER would go down nicely right now. It is to bad that we are spread out all over the place.
I am a relatively new computer owner and the one thing that amazes me is that in one day I can discuss topics with people from all over the world.
Perhaps one day in the future at a large Con we could have a big TROS rally day. I think it would be a lot of fun, we could play TROS bounce ideas around the table and just kick back and have fun. For those of us who are martialy inclined we could strap on armour and go through some rounds of melee ,share teqhniques etc.
Anyways greetings to you all, have a good day and pass the beer eh!
"That wich we do in life echoes in eternity!!"

arxhon

MMMMmmm....beer.

What part of canada you at, Thorbrin?

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta.

Lance D. Allen

Quote from: Jake NorwoodHey lance. If you're up near provo you gotta come stay a night with us or something. I may also be in the Phoenix area for several months in the near future as well (in about a year, that is). Sounds like fun.

Jake

I doubt that'll be possible. As I understand it from those who've been through the 13F MOS Qualification course, After the first pass I may get on-post liberty (NCO Club, etc.) but I'm not likely to be allowed off-post until maybe a day or so prior to graduation. So my time to do any sort of meeting and hanging out will be severely curtailed... But I'd be a right bastard (which, to some accounts I am anyhow) to be in the area and not make an attempt to meet up with ya'll.

~Lance "who who can use southern slang and european slang in the same sentance" Allen
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls