News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Power Level of Allies

Started by Mike Holmes, May 15, 2003, 10:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

OK, Josh's character is a member of an organization. That organization has members that are much more powerful than he is. His relationship with the org is 17. Now, through role-playing I determined that one of the more powerful members, an elf (remember Shadow World, not Glorantha) sorcerer, was also interested in a goal that Josh's character was interested in (summoning a particularly powerful demon). In fact, I had him make a relationship roll to see if he would help, which he succeeded at.

Now, is Josh merely entitled to an augment based on his 17 level, or is it kosher to allow the bigger character to use his higher ability rolls for some tasks? Does he need to take this character as an Ally? Or can this be a temporary situation? Should this instead be handled as a community augment? Can he get both of these?

From a protagonism POV, I want things to center around Josh's character's participation. But if it's more logical for the character to defer to the more powerful character, and the player makes that decision, can I just go with that?

I mean the protagonism that I see is a young buck biting off more than he can chew. And I really like the idea that he's gotten an elf, who being several centuries old should really know better, to play along (in fact neither character is an expert in demonology). Should be fun watching the fireworks.

But I'm just worried about the mechanical implications. Anyone see what I'm talking about?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ron Edwards

Hi Mike,

One possibility, and I'm pretty sure this is the way to go by the rules, is that regardless of the elf's abilities, Josh's character's ability to utilize those abilities (i.e. augment) is limited to 17. This is how we played a magic spear in our game - it started at 12 (as an acquired item) and the player's description of all the cool stuff about it didn't mean squat unless he racked Hero Points into it as time went by.

What this means in game terms is, as you realize I'm sure, totally customizable in every case.

Now, considering your NPC situation, you have a choice. (1) Treat it just like the magic spear thing above, when Josh's character is using the elf to augment something, or (perhaps) to bring the elf character suddenly into the situation (I permitted this for a Follower roll once). (2) Treat elf character as an NPC, using the abilities assigned to him at whatever godawful level you want, but play him utterly yourself, not as a part of Josh's sheet at all.

Doing both #1 and #2 in a single game seems perfectly viable to me, as long as you and Josh recognize that the two techniques should not be confused or combined in any way.

Best,
Ron

Mike Holmes

Ah, good point. To the extent that Josh has control, it's a 17. To the extent that I have control, it's whatever it is.

The funny thing is that Josh and I are collaborating on the scheme. I'm helping him come up with what he needs to do what he wants. So in a way it's often hard to tell where one stops and the other starts.

I know, Pervy Narrativists...

But I think that I can work with that principle.

Anyone else?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.