News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Looking for Christians in the Game Industry (is this you?)

Started by M. J. Young, May 25, 2003, 05:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. J. Young

Someone pointed out to me that my earlier thread, http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=5864">Search for Game Designers who are Christian, was in a forum he did not frequent (Site Discussion), and thus he missed it.

The short form is that the Christian Gamers Guild is compiling a list of people who are both Christians and in some sense prominent in the game industry--designers, writers, publishers. This is to dispel the twin fallacies, on the one hand believed by Christians that all game industry people are Satanists and Witches (God bless those who are, that's not the point), and on the other hand believed by gamers that all Christians are pointy-headed narrow-minded anti-gaming idiots (again, God bless those who are, that's not the point). If you're a game designer, publisher, magazine author, gaming web site host, or otherwise involved in the promotion of games beyond just a player, and you consider yourself a Christian; or if you know someone to whom that applies; please check that thread for more information, and get in touch with me if you (or someone else) are or might be interested in being included.

Thanks.

--M. J. Young
Chaplain, Christian Gamers Guild

Sylus Thane

Although Native American myself and not Christian, I came across a game in which had an interesting introduction to role-playing that included a study done by a christian church in Canada. If it would help you I could try and find it again as it does a good job of showing how role-playing has nothing to do with satanism etc, and is in it's own way actually good for people. You have to love a religious group that instead of following the fads and trends does it's own research to know for themselves and comes up with results that shocked even them.

Sylus

M. J. Young

Sylus, if you can find that I'd be interested. Odds are actually pretty good that we have the study reference somewhere (we were working closely with Paul Cardwell, CARPGa chairman, on the FAQ portion of the project, and have a lot of links and document references), but there's always the chance that you've found something we missed.

Thanks.

--M. J. Young

Lance D. Allen

Hey, M J.

"can i join ur guild????"

Sorry, Rhy'din moment. It's passed now.

I'm a Christian gamer... And moreover, I think playing the Sabbat in V:tM and the concept of summoning demons from Sorcerer are cool as hell.

So do with that what you will.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

M. J. Young

Quote from: Lance 'Wolfen' AllenHey, M J.

"can i join ur guild????"
Well, it's not my guild--I was elected chaplain some time back, and still serve that post, but there's a president, vice president, and a couple of directors, all of whom are elected by the membership.

As far as becoming a member, that's simple.
    [*]Go to Yahoo!Groups and enroll in Christian_Gamers_Guild[*]Set your group preferences how you like (I get digest mode, because some days the discussions absolutely flood your e-mail otherwise)[*]Check the statement of faith http://www.geocities.com/christian_gamers_guild/">on the website; if you agree with it, you can consider yourself a member and vote in election of officers--entirely a matter of your conscience, and you can participate in the list if you disagree (you just can't challenge the statement of faith as a subject for discussion, which would at least be gauche). If you decide you want to run for an officer position, you have to state on the list that you are in agreement with the statement of faith to qualify to be on the ballot. (You have to be nominated too, but you can nominate yourself.)[/list:u]

QuoteI'm a Christian gamer... And moreover, I think playing the Sabbat in V:tM and the concept of summoning demons from Sorcerer are cool as hell.

So do with that what you will.
    We've got people who like those games; we've got people who don't. There was a huge debate a few years back over M:tA, but in general we don't bad-mouth games.

If you'd like to be put on the "Christians in the industry" list, check the other thread for a quick recap of what I need and drop me an e-mail (preferred) or pm, and I'll get back to you if I have questions.

Thanks.

--M. J. Young