News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Kayfabe in Play - Let the Bodies Hit the Floor!

Started by Matt Gwinn, September 19, 2001, 11:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Gwinn

Well, this reports is a little late, but I'm sure you all can understand with everything that has happened this past week.  Anyway, Moose and I had a chance to play Kayfabe with some friends last Monday and I'm pretty happy with how it went.  I have a few comments on it.

Time
The game took a lot longer than I thought it would.  We made characters for about an hour and player for another two and a half.  I suspect that knowing a lot about wrestling helps with speeding up the game and that having your characters made ahead of time helps aswell.

The Booking Session
The Booking Session went rather well considering that it was a one time game.  We didn't set up any PPV matches so we really had nothing to build towards.  Regardless, we were able to roleplay some stuff dealing with character Flaws and backgrounds.  One wrestler's parents showed up in an attempt to convince him wrestling was too dangerous.  That scene enlightened me to the fact that there were no traits geared towards social interaction (that's been fixed).  Another wrestler found a half empty bottle of vodka and a wet glass in his opponent's locker.  Unfortunately he didn't bring it to the attention of the Booker and the two wrestled anyway.

The Show
We only had time for 2 matches, but they both went really well.  Match narration flowed just like I'd hoped it would.  The first match was a standard match between The Spirit of Justice and The Senturion (who was slightly drunk).  the second match was between Tokyo Ali, a Japanese Muhammed Ali and Diob Ibin Absha an Arabic high flier in a hell in the Cell match.  The match was pretty exciteing, there was blood, lots of Heat wagering and an incredibly bad injury after Diod unintentionally cracked open Tokyo Ali's skull with a botched chair shot.

In Conclusion
I'm really happy with the way things went.  There were a few small things about game balance and Heat awards, but those were easily fixed.  The final "free" version of Kayfabe is now available on my website.  I will have a pay version available as soon as I can pull together some more art and write a Booker's Section.  In the meantime there is a Paypal donation button in case anyone wants to help me get to print.

,Matt
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Knight

The final "free" version of Kayfabe is now available on my website.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to tell us all where said website is?

Matt Gwinn

Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

hardcoremoose

Hey all,

I'd hesitate to say anything's "final" - my games always seem to be a work in progress.

But for anyone out there with even the slightest interest in the melodrama that is wrestling, you should check this out.  It was amazing fun, and there was even a little pathos to be had.  The matches are fast, fast, fast-paced, and so long as you can tell the difference between an Irish-whip and a Fireman's carry, the game plays extremely visual.

Play it with some pulse-poundin' heavy metal tunes.

Take care,
Moose
AKA, Diyab ibn Absha, Son of the Desert Wind
(executor of the triple-jump 180 degree leg-drop)  

[ This Message was edited by: hardcoremoose on 2001-09-19 19:57 ]