News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Zine circulation figures

Started by Christian Walker, June 07, 2003, 05:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian Walker

I publish a print zine by the name of Scrollworks. It's a 20-24 page digest affair, black and white, saddle stitched. The zine serves the d20 system and has been bumping along for 31 issues. Sales are handled web-based via PayPal, although I do receive the occasional check or money order. Scrollworks operates at a financial loss each month.

I thought I'd share some circulation figures because, well, there just isn't a lot of that kind of info to be had.

The figures do not necessarily reflect numbers sold, because I've sent out scads of promo copies. My information is also limited to issues 14 forward. The format is: issue number - amount in circulation.

Compendium I - 35
14 - 135
15 - 89
16 - 110
17 - 65
18 - 165
19 - 87
20 - 86
21 - 94
22 - 112
23 - 70
24 - 61
25 - 70
26 - 69
27 - 87
28 - 47
29 - 35
30 - 22
31 - 17

Total number in circulation: 1,455.

For a zine, the figures are pretty good. Compared to the rest of the RPG industry, they're not so nifty. I'm not sweating it, though. These days I'm just trying to have fun.

A zine link: http://www.shzine.com/zines.asp#s

Nathan

Thanks for the numbers, Christian.

For Actionroll.com, a sort of online community ezine, right now we are averaging 524 hits/day. That includes all of our hosted sites, including Eldritch Ass Kicking, Universalis, and a few others. Actionroll is probably at least 100 of that. Not too bad -- but we don't charge a dime, and I haven't updated in a while....

It's hard to do online mags. When I ran MysticAges.com as a mag, I had a good stretch of about 6-7 issues where I had good content. Then, it died off one by one.

Christian, do you pay your contributers?

Thanks all,
Nathan
-------------------------------------------
http://www.mysticages.com/
Serving imagination since '99
Eldritch Ass Kicking:
http://www.eldritchasskicking.com/

Christian Walker

Quote from: NathanThanks for the numbers, Christian.

Christian, do you pay your contributers?

Yeah, the artists make most of the dough. They earn anywhere between $15 and $35 depending on the illo. Writers, those who don't work for gratis, are paid a flat fee between $15 and $30. These days I rely upon a single artist and a writer to help me out. It saves me a lot of time by working with an established team, rather that soliciting freelancers.

James V. West

Cool.

Zines traditionally have very low distribution. I don't have exact figures for Random Order Comics and Games, but I can do some estimates:

#1 - 125-150
#2 - 100ish
#3 - 100ish

I have around 25 subscribers, which has been a huge help in keeping the zine going. I like to print all my zines right off the desktop with my laser printer. I usually do the covers at the print shop. Obviously, if the numbers grow too much it won't be practical to keep doing them on the desktop. But for now I really enjoy the hands-on approach.

My policy is I can't afford to pay anyone for anything, so I only work with people who are willing to help out for free (they get extra copies, some limited exposure, and undying gratitude) or for trade (you draw for me, I'll draw for you). That might change if I continue an upward trend of sales.

Like Christian, I'm just having fun.

Christian Walker

I wanted to add some info to my post. When Scrollworks first began, it was a GURPS zine and was such for 6 or 7 issues. Back then, I could hardly give the damn thing away. I think I sent it out for free to something like 15 people. When I went d20 I was finally able to sell them.

The problem, though, is that publishing under d20 costs a lot of money, I think. Readers expect good art, good material, and timely delivery. There's just too many outlets to satisfy customer demand and if you are lax, well, your readers will go elsewhere.

This is all well and good, but lately I'm really starting to experience another dissatisfaction with d20 and that's the lack of creative outlet. I mean, you can only do the "elves and orcs in a magical western Europe" thing so many times before it gets stale. And like I said, competition is a beyotch. After 31 issues, Sworks is still unknown and there's no sign of that getting better.

I admire James' work because 1) the material is good and 2) he's doing his own thing.

I've been grumbling for a while and I suspect that S'works will evolve, this time away from d20. We'll see....

samdowning

My suggestion is that you open it up and stop trying to be exclusive to one system.  By being exclusive, you shut off many of your would-be customers who don't use that particular system.  Do a little d20 to keep those folks coming back, but add GURPS and anything else you, or someone who's writing for you, can get your hands on.   There are tons of good systems out there, some of which are almost identical (which - aha - you can discuss).
-------------------------
Samantha Downing
Deep7
http://www.deep7.com

James V. West

Sam's comment made me imagine how cool it would be to have a zine devoted to indie games such as those found here and at RPGnet. Something with system tweaks and variations, mini-games, and articles or resource material for games like Dust Devils, Soap, Trollbabe, etc.

I would like to say Random Order could be that kind of zine, but it isn't. The best I can do is put a new mini-game in each issue. But something like Scrollworks.... hmmm.

Anyway, the copy of SW you sent me was great, Christian. Nice and professional looking but still very much a zine.

Christian Walker

Quote from: James V. West

I would like to say Random Order could be that kind of zine, but it isn't. The best I can do is put a new mini-game in each issue. But something like Scrollworks.... hmmm.

Anyway, the copy of SW you sent me was great, Christian. Nice and professional looking but still very much a zine.

First, let me say, "Thanks!" I print the cover at Kinkos via digital copier and the guts come out on 24lb, 90 bright paper via HP2200 with duplexing. I hand fold, staple, and cut the issues. Layout is done with freaking MS Publisher. Heh.

I am intrigued by the idea of a zine oriented towards indie games. Heck, a single issue of Scrollworks could run one or two games in their entirety, there'd be a review or two, a quick advice column, and maybe a few ads and interviews.

Distribution might be limited at first, but it would be fun to do. The following would no doubt be loyal and it wouldn't be nearly as expensive to publish as a d20 rag. More importantly, it'd be kind of cool to mix it up with folks who are doing their own thing, freestylin' in the back alleys of the RPG scene.

Yeah, I'm going to need to think about this. Intriguing indeed...

Mike Holmes

Kester Pelagius had a thread recently which discussed his ideas for doing an Indie Game Zine. Shouldn't be too far down in this forum.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Kester Pelagius

Greetings,

Quote from: Mike HolmesKester Pelagius had a thread recently which discussed his ideas for doing an Indie Game Zine. Shouldn't be too far down in this forum.

There should be a related thread in Site Discussion as well.

But the long and the short of it, from the Threads and e-mail replies, there is enthusiam for a Indie Mag.  However, and this is a big caveat, most who expressed interest in seeing such a mag also said they probably would not actually buy it.  Just like to see one.

I still think it's a good idea, though.   It's just a matter of presence.  More than one respondant intimated that such a mag would be best started up/published by an entity with an established and respected identity within the Indie community.

Me, I'm pretty much a fly on the wall with ideas.  *shrug*

Also, if you are thinking of PDF distribution, one of the major comments made was: What's the point?

The opinion was that forums such as The Forge already filled this role rather nicely.  But, that was then, this is now.  Life is change.  I'd suggest anyone interested start a new thread and poll the membership.  Just be aware that you're going to be attempting to forecast trends in a niche of a niche hobby.

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

Nathan

I've always been supportive of a good quality magazine for indie games. Unfortunately, it is difficult. My favorite was RPGEvolution, which might be stashed around here somewhere. Clinton was heading up that one, and it was really nice. It came out whenever submissions reached a certain point, and it was pretty cool all in all.

Of course, I try to be a voice for indie games over at Actionroll.com, but alas, I have just a few folks who ever submit an article. I even tried to offer webhosting in exchange for an article or two. Of course, things eventually come to a standstill.

Before Actionroll, I tried pushing Mystic Ages Online as my general zine site, and we had some good issues there -- we even featured one of Jared's games and a preview of Little Fears before it hit. I don't have those archives however. (Actually, I do... somewhere...) However, after about 9 issues it died too...

I would certainly submit some items to such a mag if one was started up. Of course, I would love to see a schedule that reflected the audience -- maybe 4 issues a year. Print would be real nice, but I would live with html or PDF.

Again though, it is going to be a lot tougher than what it may seem.

Thanks,
Nathan
Eldritch Ass Kicking:

Luke

i don't see why this couldn't work, but it would require a dedicated zine editor. I've published a zine before, and I am currently with working someone else on publishing his---which is very successful. His success is due to his incessant solicitation of writers and artists. He's always asking folks if they want to be included in the mag. And you know what? If you treat people's work nicely and have good print quality, they'll want to be in your mag to get their work shown.

Why bother put something like this together with entities like the Forge and RPG.net about? Because this would act as a collection, filter and archive for the madness that spins through these threads.

What about content for an indie rpg zine?  Since the release of my game I have released four new chapters, I have two more in the works and I have three forthcoming revisions/alternate rules pieces that I'll release soon. I would be happy to submit them to a zine for further distribution. I know that Sorcerer, octaNe and a host of others have released additional material/settings/additions to their games that could easily be included in a zine.

Previews and Reviews and Interviews also work. Getting "feature artists" to do covers/issues for you also sells mags.

But, I'll say it again, it would require a dedicated editor to cull those sources and include them in the mag. Don't expect any thanks or recognition. However, you might be able to scrape together a library of material that you are very pleased to have published yourself. That's almost always worth it.

-L

Christian Walker

I've decided to deviate from Scrollworks' regular d20 format for the 32nd issue. (the full details of my meltdown can be viewed at: http://www.scrollworkspress.com/news.htm) I'm testing the waters, so to speak, with a look at some alternative publications and indie games.

So far there's an interview with James West, who has the fortitude to go print with Random Order, a book review, and a look at a DIY zine guide. I'll need to sift through some short games to see what strikes my fancy, because I'd like to run a mini game in the issue. I'll go ahead and pay one of my artist friends to do an illo or two for the game, since so many of the free web games lack them.

There'll be some other odds and ends as well.

I want to send out review and promo copies (free to Forge folks!) for this issue when it runs in early July.

Late,
Christian

Nathan

I just bought an issue of Scrollworks to encourage you, man.

Sounds like a fun issue -- maybe you could just do this twice a year or every other month or something... It might be a good way to relieve some of your stresses, do something new, and have a bit more fun.

Let me know if I can write anything for you. I might be able to whip together a small game, but even if not, I have plenty of articles you could use (for free) over on Actionroll. I'm sure others would be interested in helping out too.

How many pieces do you need to fill up an issue?

Thanks,
Nathan
Eldritch Ass Kicking:

C. Edwards

Hey Christian,

I'll certainly buy a copy of issue 32. Just be sure to post some sort of reminder here when it comes out.

BTW, what determines if an issue has a color cover? Availability of color artwork?

-Chris