News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Alternate Idea for TO & ST in Combat

Started by Durgil, June 13, 2003, 10:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morfedel

Frankly, I don't really like dice pool mechanics, and it was a negative when I considered getting TRoS - but despite that, I like the game, hence why I hang out here.

The only dice pool game mechanics I truly like is "Godlike."

What I find amusing, though, is that i'm working on a game mechanic myself that is slightly dice-poolish. I wonder what that says about me? :/

Heh.

Speaking of (slightly off-topic here), in the Articles section of The Forge, in article by Mr Ron Edwards about game mechanics making a difference, he made a reference to an RPG called Zero and how it revolutionized dice mechanics for task resolution.

He wasn't referring to Spaceship Zero, right? Does anyone know what game he was referring to, and what was so revolutionary about it?

Mike Holmes

Zero is a game where you are a member of a Hive mind and "wake up" one day. Very Matrix-esque in some ways. Frankly I forget how the mechanics work, but it might be a Fortune in the Middle (FitM) thing.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Zero resolution is grossly Fortune-in-the-Middle. This is the game that introduced the "free and clear announcements" and order-set-by-resolution-roll concepts which I adapted for Sorcerer. It also has a very unusual, well-designed improvement system which I am pretty sure no one understands except for people who've played the game over the long term.

The game is not called Spaceship Zero, but just "Zero." It was written by Lester Smith and illustrated extensively by Stephen Stone (in fact, the game was in part designed based on the illustrations in the first place). It was published in 1994 by the short-lived company Archangel Entertainment, along with another brilliant game called Extreme Vengeance by Tony Lee.

Best,
Ron

Morfedel

Ah, thanks. I know what game you are talking about now, and at one point I ALMOST picked it up.

Durgil

I just DID for $9.00 at half.com.  Man, I'm such an RPG junky!
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Morfedel

Give some feedback once you get it :)

Durgil

Not a problem.  I just got the confirmation saying it will take 5-15 days to get to me.
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.