News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ars Magica, the TRoS way....

Started by Morfedel, June 24, 2003, 10:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morfedel

Besides, I remember seeing here on the boards and, perhaps, in the book, that you shouldnt use science to explain how magic works, to try and come up with a scientific explanation for a fireball.

But then, you go into the book and read the explanation of the Fold spell, dissassembling your molecules, etc etc. I was rather amused! :)

tauman

Quote from: Morfedel*listens to the chirping of crickets in the night....*

That bad, eh? :/

Heh

Personally, I like it. I like the TROS system, but I thought about creating a system with all formalized spells. My initial attempts used the different branches of magic from AD&D (i.e. Abjuration, Divination, Illusion, etc). I thought I'd call it Wizardry and keep it at lower power (I thought about putting in an aging roll when a new spell was created--that is "formalized"--and then using fatigue when spells are cast).

Anyway, all my ramblings aside, I really like your system and plan on compiling it into a Word document sometime this weekend...

Steve Reich

tauman

Hope you're posting the damage system, etc. soon...

Steve Reich

Morfedel

Yeah; I will do that tonight or tomorrow. I was juggling with the idea of either modifying the generic damage chart, or... well, the other solution is harder to decribe than to implement... I'm crunching a few numbers to see if A) my other method will work and B) if it is efficient.

I'll have it within the next couple days, max.

Morfedel

Sorry this has taken so long. Life, etc.

Ok, based on the above formula, this is how damage works:

At Effect-1: The number of successes is the number of shock points caused. That is it - spells of this level are rarely more than minor irritations.

Effect-2: Use the generic damage table, as normal.

Effect-3: The level of injury is also how much "blood loss" the individual gains. In other words, using the generic damage table, acheiving 3 levels of injury on the table nets the shock and pain, and additionally 3 points of "blood loss." Note this may not be actual blood loss, but represent a person slipping into shock. Alternatively, a spell duplicating a correct effect may instead use one of the other damage tables. For instance, a spellcaster casts a Rego Herbam spell to cause a tree to reach down and strike at a knight on a horse. In this case, it would use the correct blunt damage table.

Effect-4: At this level, damage becomes dangerous. Effects are as per effect-3, as above, but additionally, a roll is made with the current number of successes plus the number of "blood loss" points caused by magic against the target's health as a TN. Each success causes a drop of 1 pt in health. Alternatively, an immediate, non-fatal but serious effect can be generated. Example: a sorcerer casting The Arm of the Infant, a muto corporem spell that transforms a single arm or leg into that of an infant's would fit into this category.

Effect-5: At this level, a spell can be instantly fatal. As Effect-4 above, but even a single success is fatal. An example. The Clench of the Crushed Heart, a Perdo Corporem spell in which, if successful, immediately crushes the target's heart.

Note: Spells are delivered in two varieties, projected or invasive. Projected spells use some kind of medium; for example, a Pilum of Flame would be a small "spear" of flame hurled from the caster's hand. Meanwhile, the aforementioned Clench of the Crushed Heart is invasive.

Projected spells cannot be resisted, but only dodged - or interfered with like any other projectile would be. This does not mean such spells can break through erected defenses, but it does mean that one's natural defenses are ineffective.

Invasive spells are the reverse; they cannot be dodged in any traditional manner, but are instead resisted by one's natural defenses.

Note also: Intellego spells can often be used to scry information on the target. In some cases, resistance to stop the effects are reasonable, but other times, such resistances may not make sense; in these cases, a resistance, particularly sorcerers with appropriate scores in the form being used, may use their resistance to realize they are being scried upon.

Again, these havent been playtested. I'm sorry this took so long to come out with, but I'm hoping now you guys who were wanting to see these earlier will now have some feedback for me? :)

Morfedel

Wow.

I've had 0 feedback. Had lots of people interested in what I was doing, and now nothing. Is it that bad? :(

tauman

Quote from: MorfedelWow.

I've had 0 feedback. Had lots of people interested in what I was doing, and now nothing. Is it that bad? :(

Sorry, I've been pretty busy--but I really like what you've done. I probably won't get to playtest it any time soon, as I'm not currently running (or even playing in) a TROS game. At the very least, if I ran TROS I'd use your system as a basis for a second type of magic (wizardry or magistry?).

Keep up the good work and keep us (or at least, me) informed of any additions, changes, or fine-tuning you do.

Steve Reich

Eamon Voss

Been busy.  Your stuff Morfendel, is tres kewl.

But what about EXPERIENCE.  Can you provide TRoS with a time based experience system like Ars Magica?
Realism in a melee game is not a matter of critical hit charts, but rather the ability to impart upon the player the dynamism of combat.

Morfedel

Meaning, advancing scores per season like AM does?

Eamon Voss

Quote from: MorfedelMeaning, advancing scores per season like AM does?

Yes!

I have this dream of running Ars Magica again.  I just can't deal with their garbage combat system anymore, much less the exploding d10 dice rolls for skill checks.  I don't like system-monkeying (I'm much more a world builder these days), so your doing this is a godsend to me.
Realism in a melee game is not a matter of critical hit charts, but rather the ability to impart upon the player the dynamism of combat.

Morfedel

Sure. Look for that this weekend.

Morfedel

I promised this a bit ago. Sorry it took so long getting to it.

In order to advance an Art, you spend experience just as you would to improve a vagary.

However, you don't actually advance at that time. The advancement does not occur until you have studied sufficiently to gain the improvement.

Study is done in one of several methods.

First, by book: the book must be about the art in question, and it must be of a score at least equal to, if not exceeding, the value you are trying to raise up to. If so, then each seaon of study, roll MA versus a target number = to the new score you are trying to achieve. Each success lowers the target number for a next check; once it reaches 0, your score goes up.

Vis: Pure magical power. Studying enough pawns of vis as if it were a book has the same results. Vis, however, is burned per success gained.

Regions of Power: Should you find a region with a sufficiently high magical aura, particulary if it has an aspect similar to the art you are studying, its aura rating can count as a book.

Research: Sometimes, there just isnt anything else available, and you have to forge your path on your own. This details trying to discover the next level of power via labwork in conjunction with all of the above methods, postulating new theories, etc.

For research to work, the Sorcerer begins by gathering other materials. he takes the highest score of either his best book, vis source, or region of power. For each other source that is within MA of the highest source, he may add 1 to the score of the highest source. If this source reaches the level needed, he may begin the research, with one additional season added as the first season where no rolls can be made; he spends the first season gathering, combining, and cross referencing his sources.

When this is all done, he will be done with his research, reached his score, and have a new book representing his notes. Although a sorcerer's personal books may be coveted by others, many sorcerers are loath to either loan them out (because they may need them, and who knows what the other sorcerer will do with the knowledge), and because he can use this new book to help him with his next bit of research.

Note: A sorcerer may only use one book of his own; to reach new pinnacles of knowledge, cross-referencing other sources to trigger new tracks of thought is necessary.

I hope this works. Let me know what you think!

Mainboard

Just to let you know, I LOVE this idea and at present we are going to playtest it in the next few weeks.

I will post our playtest results here after our first session.

BTW Morfedel I would like to thank you for the work you have done. My group loved Ars Magica for the Magic, but thought the rest of the game was lacking. Now we have the perfect fantasy setting, TRoS with the magic system of AM..... And I will do my best to help you make it work. :)
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
-Roy Batty, Blade Runner

Morfedel

Thanks! And please DO let me know how playtesting goes! As I said, I wrote the rules here with no chance of my OWN to try them out; sometimes, what looks good in theory doesn't work so well in implementation. So, I'll be thrilled to see the results!

grot

Any chance you could just link us a word document or something so I could look at this all in one place?  I am very interested in this, and it seems like you've got most of it figured out.  The fact that the TROS magic system was "almost like Ars" was part of why I bought it!!!