News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I hate paypal

Started by Morfedel, July 07, 2003, 03:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morfedel

Ok:

I've moved, therefore my address, phone number, and email changed. In addition, I forgot my paypal account.

I figured, no problem. I will just create a new account.

Nope. Apparently a credit card can only be attached to a single account at a time.

So, I go through all their methods to recover my password:

Email: nope, that was gone when I moved.

Mailing address: barring it being forwarded, thats also a big no.

Phone number: again, I moved.

Fax: you can fax the information in... but only if you remembered to keep an old bill from the old address, along with a new bill, fax both of them and a photo ID. Too bad I didn't foresee a need for doing this.

So, I call them. Heck, I have my bank account info and my SSN, surely that will work.

After spending 45 minutes arguing with them, I hang up in disgust. Nope. SSN doesnt matter, access to your bank account doesnt matter, you cant use that grubby credit card in your hand to create a new account, and if you have none of the prior old contact information bits, you are, in a word, screwed.

All this just to order a 10 buck copy of Donjon. Sigh....

Mike Holmes

Anyone else a signer on the card? If so, you can sign them up with the same card with the new info. I had a similar problem, but my wife is on the card. So I created an account for her, and voila, I'm in business again.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Morfedel

Good idea, I'll try that.

Morfedel

Nope.

It says it only allows one account per credit card, and its already attached to mine.

So, is there any other way to get donjon? Grrr.....

Clinton R. Nixon

Morfedel,

There is, in fact, another way to get Donjon. E-mail me (crnixon at anvilwerks.com) and I'll send you my address. You can send check, money order, or well-hid cash and I'll make sure you get a copy of the game.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Morfedel

Will do. I'll email you this evening from home.

Will this include access to it via the indie bookshelf, so if I ever need to redownload it?

Valamir

Actually Morf, I appreciate Paypal's stance quite a bit.  It's not their fault you didn't change your account information properly before you moved or forgot your password.  As someone who has processed hundreds of transactions through Paypal over the last several years I'm quite glad they don't just hand out account access to anyone who calls up with an account number an SSN and a good story.

Do you realize how easy it is to obtain account numbers and social security numbers.  Any number of people can get that information about you quite easily and if all it took was a phone call to get your account password...concider your card maxed by the end of the day.

Instead of posting "I hate Paypal", you should be posting "Thank you Paypal for having effective security measures in place to reduce the risk of fraudulant access to my account".

Morfedel

Ralph, there are plenty of other companies, and I'm talking about the large, international ones, that have security measures that are just fine and aren't quite so strident.

We live in a society where people move quite often. This is not an unusual situation at all. The only difference between me and others is I forgot my password in the process, and I had no idea I might need an old utility bill.

What I'm saying is, even for a secure company, their security measures seem unusually draconian. Plenty of other companies don't go quite that far, and yet do just fine.

And I wasn't wanting to just regain my password. I had the freaking credit card in my hand, and I couldnt even create a new account, and THAT was my beef. Good lord, I can call up anytime and use my credit card to order things off the telephone from all over the world - and again, even from large, multi national companies.

And yet paypal wont let me create a new account using the same credit card.

So no, absolutely not am I going to thank them for their draconian measures. I have had no other problems with ANY other company I've dealt with, and plenty of them are far more successful than paypal, and this was not a big deal to them; it was easily dealt with, and still remained secure.

Mike Holmes

Quote from: MorfedelIt says it only allows one account per credit card, and its already attached to mine.
Huh, weird. I wonder how I got away with it.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Morfedel

Yeah; maybe they hadnt implemented that step before?

Morfedel

Oh bah humbug. I'll just use my wife's credit card. I want to get this darned thing without the hassel.

Morfedel

Oh lord, this is painful, haha!

Someone stole my wife's credit card number! And no, not off of paypal... so its either jump through their hoops, or try the alternate method.

Grudgingly, I will jump through their hoops.