News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Jake is one cool guy

Started by Lance D. Allen, July 27, 2003, 09:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance D. Allen

So, I've been gone for the past two weeks to Camp Williams, UT for training in my Military Occupational Specialty (MOS). It turns out that Williams is situated just south of Salt Lake City. Provo is likewise south of S.L.C.

Y'all know where this is going, right?

Yup. I met the man himself. I got in on Saturday, and was able to arrange for him to come up and visit the following day, Sunday. He got lost en route, so we only got to hang out for a couple hours, but we played a few games of pool, and he showed me a little bit of footwork stuff (no swords) before taking off back home, with a promise that we'd try to get together when I got my day pass.

This happened the following Sunday, right before I went off to Dugway Proving Grounds to do the live fire portion of my training. He came and picked me up around.. 2-3 I believe, and showed me some of his gear, before we went out to do a little swordwork. I don't know how well I'll remember what he showed me, but I'm certainly going to try to put it into use.  (Oh, Jake.. turns out pommel strikes ARE SCA legal). Next he let me take a look at OBaM on his computer.. Very nicely done, for those who've yet to see it. Only one thing caught me, and it was just a miscommunication (Tiberius' name shouldn't have been used in the story with the Homunculus, but ah well...). Otherwise, a beautiful book, for which both Jake and Brian are due a lot of kudos. We had dinner, a very tasty and interesting stew cooked by his lovely wife Earta, then played Guillotine. Jake got "a head" early on, and stayed strongly in the lead for much of the game, which he did eventually win. Finally we played with the Combat sim, wherein Cut & Thrust Kid soundly tromped Geralt, despite some weird glitches. Then it was back to military life for me.

All in all, a very fun afternoon, spent with good people. If you've not yet had a chance to meet with Jake in person, he's a very easy-going guy, smart, and funnier than I am (which isn't saying much, but..) My only regret is that I did not get to play TRoS with the man, but I suppose there will be future opportunities.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Lxndr

Yeah, I got to meet him (and play in a short TRoS demo with him, emphasis on the short) while at Indy.  He's good people, so to speak.  And I loved the character I got - a price with the Drive "To Take The Throne for Himself" and the Destiny "To See It All Burn."  That's a Destiny I'm going to have to use myself, some time.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming