News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Fae and other realms. (Untitled yet).

Started by permacultureguerilla, July 30, 2003, 07:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

permacultureguerilla

--------The Fae----------

Some words are indeed like other faerie games, and I want to make certain it feels original.

Some faerie myths I may not take, some are distantly related to fae, and I'll use some concepts of my own. Words that do not feel original, I'm hoping to find similar ones, and replace them.

But before I get too attached to any concept, I'm hoping for some clear guidelines in where this is indeed original, and where I might try to replace it.

For example, it is about dreaming and banlity. There's Trods, Kith, and Freeholds, but the mechanic and story are very different.

-----THE PRE-MECHANIC ------

First: The book invites you to choose between Simulationist and Gamist, using different terms. They're the same, except for rigidity of course. I suppose this is the Simulationist . . .

-CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT: AWAKENINGS-

Fae get Awakenings. The Awakenings let them harness Manna for Cantrips. Awakenings basically make a Changeling more spongelike for different Manna. They require initiations like diving off a cliff, to "wake" you up. The type of initiation makes you open to that type of Manna.

Awakenings can be affected retroactively. When you experience something banal. So say you get badmouthed by a clerk. You lose Awakening related to elements similar to the clerk's environment. This is why "banality" is common in these types of places. Not directly, but by experience.

There's a love-hate relationship, or I should say: Anathema vs "money" in all Manna. You're cursed by being so involved with the type. There is also additional tweaks, like Jinx and Geasa.

Jinx is things that screw up your spells. They come like karma, with whimsy you commit on others. But some use jinx intentionally. To "accidentally" lift when they were supposed to drop. Jinx is less predictable but useful.

Geasa gets honour. Sometimes you're charged with a Geasa by someone who has honour. There's likely curses involved in failing, but following your Geasa helps you become "Awakened" to Honour (or perhaps just Geasa) Manna. This is why tasks are an honour and privilege to many.

*snip* I edited, in responce to Mike. Perhaps I can get rid of more. Thanks for fair warning. I've just started looking at Crux a little earlier as well.

Mike Holmes

Your posts seem very...frenetic to me. They do seem like brain dumps. I don't want to tell you that this is a bad way to create. After all we haven't seen if you can make anything from these. But I can say that it does make the posts themselves a bit hard to respond to.

What feedback are you looking for, what "preliminary troubleshooting"? Is this supposed to be a modification of Changeling? If not, then why are you co-opting so much of it? Have you seen Crux on this board? As an example of a "fae" game that's doing it's own thing completely? What's your goal with this particular game (other than making it "original")?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.