News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Post your spells here!

Started by MonkeyWrench, August 02, 2003, 05:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkeyWrench

Those are some great ideas. I'll definetly have to make use of them against my players. You could use Sculpture and/or Growth to increase the density of your muscles and bones, making you stronger and tougher. You could embed spells to make magic swords or armor. But what about for non-melee combat spells? What about displays of real power....earhtquakes, lightning storms, hurricanes, etc...
-Jim

kenjib

Here is an idea I had for a non-combat curse spell:

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=6686

It can be used to drive the plot and complicate relationships between characters.
Kenji

MonkeyWrench

That is a genius idea. Can I ask how the Conquer 2 vagary is used in relation to the actual curse?
-Jim

tralese

Here are some of the ones I had come up with when I played a sorcerer.

CHARM
Formalized Spell of One
CTN = 5 (5 seconds)
T) 3, R) 2, V) 0, D) 1, L) 1 (-2 for being formalized)
Vagary: Conquer 1
Effects: Control 1
Duration: 1 Hour

The target considers you his best friend and won't take any aggressive actions against you.

GOLEM
Formalized Spell of Three
CTN = 8 (80 seconds)
T) 1, R) 2, V) 2, D) 1, L) 4 (-2 for being formalized)
Vagary: Movement 3, Summoning 3
Effects: Speed 3, Maneuver 3, Magic 3
Duration: 1week per success

The sorcerer uses his magical power to reanimate a large automaton.  The corpse will move as per directed by the sorcerer for as long as 1 week per success.  In order to maintain his Golem, the sorcerer must maintain eye contact.
There is a more complicated version of this spell that includes Vision and does not require line of sight.
Stats on the Golem are up to you, but it is suggested for the Golem to have a combat pool equivalent to the CTN + successes.  The Golem does not feel pain, and can only be stopped if dismembered, level 5 wounds on either both legs or both arms.  The strength of the Golem could be 3+successes. And the toughness is dependant on the material used (Wood 6, Metal 9, Rock 11)*.

* These are just suggestions.

PEBBLES!
Formalized Spell of One
CTN = 4
T) 1, R) 2, V) 1, D) 0, L) 2 (-2 for being formalized)
Vagary: Movement 2
Effects: Speed 2, Maneuver 2
Duration: Instantaneous (But maintainable)

The sorcerer holds up in his opened hand up to as many pebbles as he has in his MA.  Through the power of his own mind he hurls these pebbles at a tremendous speed towards up to 5 different targets.  The sorcerer may use his missile pool + 6 + successes to determine if he hits his targets (due to increased maneuverability with mind control).  The pebbles have a base damage of 6+successes.

More to come.
Tralese
"Work before you play, BUT PLAY!"

Stephen

Some variations on an old favourite:

PSYCHIC LOCKPICK (Spell of One)
T1, R1, V1, D0, M2 = CTN 5 (3 Formalized)
Casting Time 5s, 3 if formalized, in addition to time taken for Lockpicking roll (see below)
Vagaries:  Movement 2 (Animation 2)

By touching a lock, the sorcerer gains the ability to manipulate the internal components and undo them; however, it's no good if the sorcerer doesn't know how to pick locks in the first place!  Basically, this allows a sorcerer-thief to use his mind as the lockpick, thus allowing him to make a Lockpicking roll using MA/Lockpicking instead of AG/Lockpicking -- usually a benefit, as sorcerers tend to have higher MA than AG, and also neatly avoiding any traps that a manual lockpicking might risk.  By increasing the Range to 2, the sorcerer no longer has to touch the lock.

A variant allows sorcerers to undo the lock without having to know how, by being able to see into the lock:

LOCKMASTERY (Spell of Three)
T1, R1, V1, D0, L3 (2+1) = CTN 6 (4 if Formalized)
Casting Time 60s, 40s if Formalized
Vagaries:  Movement 2 (Animation 2), Vision 1 (Clairvoyance 1)

This version grants the sorcerer the ability to see the inner workings of the lock, obviating the need for prior knowledge.  As with Psychic Lockpick, increasing the Range to 2 allows the sorcerer to undo the lock without having to touch it.
Even Gollum may yet have something to do. -- Gandalf

kenjib

Quote from: MonkeyWrenchThat is a genius idea. Can I ask how the Conquer 2 vagary is used in relation to the actual curse?

The conquer effect was there to control the person's mind, and negatively impact their behavior.  The vision was there to effect the target at a range.  I'm not sure why the summon was there though, since the spell needs to be maintained from the SP (even duration 3 isn't long enough for a curse, which should possibly last a lifetime rather than just weeks).  Hmm...

Getting rid of summoning would lower the CT to 9, but the formalized CT wouldn't change.
Kenji

MonkeyWrench

kenjib -
I was thinking that perhaps a variant would be to actually implant a harmful spirit into the persons body. It wouldn't be a full possession, the spirit would act as the curse. The CTN would increase but would it need to be maintained?

QuoteGOLEM
Formalized Spell of Three
CTN = 8 (80 seconds)
T) 1, R) 2, V) 2, D) 1, L) 4 (-2 for being formalized)
Vagary: Movement 3, Summoning 3
Effects: Speed 3, Maneuver 3, Magic 3
Duration: 1week per success

The sorcerer uses his magical power to reanimate a large automaton. The corpse will move as per directed by the sorcerer for as long as 1 week per success. In order to maintain his Golem, the sorcerer must maintain eye contact.
There is a more complicated version of this spell that includes Vision and does not require line of sight.
Stats on the Golem are up to you, but it is suggested for the Golem to have a combat pool equivalent to the CTN + successes. The Golem does not feel pain, and can only be stopped if dismembered, level 5 wounds on either both legs or both arms. The strength of the Golem could be 3+successes. And the toughness is dependant on the material used (Wood 6, Metal 9, Rock 11)*.

* These are just suggestions.

PEBBLES!
Formalized Spell of One
CTN = 4
T) 1, R) 2, V) 1, D) 0, L) 2 (-2 for being formalized)
Vagary: Movement 2
Effects: Speed 2, Maneuver 2
Duration: Instantaneous (But maintainable)

The sorcerer holds up in his opened hand up to as many pebbles as he has in his MA. Through the power of his own mind he hurls these pebbles at a tremendous speed towards up to 5 different targets. The sorcerer may use his missile pool + 6 + successes to determine if he hits his targets (due to increased maneuverability with mind control). The pebbles have a base damage of 6+successes.

Two awesome spells! I especially like your "magic missle" spell.

Some other ideas I've had....
-Using movement and vision to cause someone to spontaniously combust by using the friction caused by rubbing molecules to create fire.
-Using movement and vision to slow down water molecules in a living creature and have them turn partially to ice.

I am still stumped as to how to bring about storms and lightning. Apart from the spell of none Lightning of the Soul there are no examples.
-Jim

tralese

Part of the issue about bringing about storms and lightning is simply that the sorcerer need something tangible to create the spell.  I would suggest that it's a limitation of the magic in this system.
You cannot create something out of thin air.  Now granted lightning is electricity, which is technically something tangible, well sort of (Electrons!).
In reality lightning is nothing but static (similar to static with clothes but to a much higher degree).
So if you really want to stretch the rules, you could say that with structure 3 you can manipulate the electron in the air to create an overcharge of static energy and use maneuver 3 to propell this stack of electrons towards your target.  Let's see this would be...

Spell of Three
CTN = 10 (100 seconds)
T) 3, R) 2, V) 0, D) 0, L) 5
Vagary: Sculpture 3, Vision 3, Maneuver 3
Effects: Intricacy 3, Clairvoyance 3, Speed 3
Duration: Instantaneous

With this spell the sorcerer can accumulate enough energy in one spot within eyesight and propel it towards an oponent creating a large deflagration that will inflict 10+successes damage Minus the opponents TO score.  This spell is very powerful, but takes forever to cast, so sorcerers beware!
Tralese

Mike Holmes

I can see that spell. The Sorcerer waves his arms, small discharges start to accumulate around him, hair begins to stand on end, a smell of ozone becomes noticeable, people start to feel kinda funny as the air becomes more and more rarified, a moment of silence, and then suddenly:

Whabam!

Crispy critters.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

tralese

If what Jake stated about igniting a candle is true (he said it would only require Movement 2), then the spell would become a spell of one, with a CTN of 7.  It is up to you to decide though.  I would definitely require sculpture 3 and vision 3 in order to really control the energy and not have it explode in your own face, because you can't see the accumulation.
Although I'm thinking the energy build up would end up being visible after a few seconds of accumulation.  So it is really debatable...
Tralese

Lance D. Allen

I think there is far too much of a jones to add a vision component to spells. I think with the "light a candle" spell, you wouldn't need vision. Think of it like so..

The sorcerer has noticed that when two things are rubbed together at high speed, they get warmer. This is true from things like your hands when they're cold, or two sticks to start a flame. He also notes that when you run for long periods of time that your body warms up. He comes to the conclusion that heat is a by-product of motion, so as an experiment, he decides to concentrate some motion in the vicinity of the wick of a candle. He's moving molecules, but doesn't think of it that way, because he's a sorcerer, not a scientist. Suddenly, his theory pays off as the wick ignites.

I'd imagine it would go through a little trial and error as he gets the exact speed required down, and the distance from the wick needed to ignite it without ripping it off, but it would work without the vision component.

Not every spell requires vision.
\rant
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

MonkeyWrench

QuoteI think there is far too much of a jones to add a vision component to spells. I think with the "light a candle" spell, you wouldn't need vision. Think of it like so..

QuoteNot every spell requires vision.

Thank you! I know I have a tendency to want to add vision to alot of the spells that I cast. But your explaination makes much more sense and also allows for the sorceror to roleplay experimenting with spells.
-Jim

AnyaTheBlue

You see, lightining is carried in clouds.  Every cloud is full of lightning, just as it is full of rain.  So all you have to do is use motion to pull it out of the cloud and into a person.  Of course, first you might have to make a cloud.

Likewise, everybody knows that flammable things are flammable because they have an overabundance of phlogiston inside them.  So all you have to do is use Motion to pull out some of the phlogiston, and it'll ignite the rest...

Or is that too goofy?  If anybody does go with this idea, I would personally require you to use Vision on the lightning spell, since the cloud would (presumably) be waaaay up in the sky...

Alternately, at least with fire, you could argue that Sculpture allows you to affect composition, and since Fire is one of the four basic elements that everything is made up of, all you would have to do is alter the composition of the wick to have a bit more Fire than it would otherwise, thus igniting it.  That doesn't help with lightning, though...
Dana Johnson
Note that I'm heavily medicated and something of a flake.  Please take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: AnyaTheBlueAlternately, at least with fire, you could argue that Sculpture allows you to affect composition, and since Fire is one of the four basic elements that everything is made up of, all you would have to do is alter the composition of the wick to have a bit more Fire than it would otherwise, thus igniting it.  That doesn't help with lightning, though...

Heh. Nice angle, I like it.

Of course, Lightning is just one of the quasielementals, right? :-) (Between the elements of Air and Fire you have the paraelemental Smoke, Between Air and Smoke you have the Quasielemental of Lightning. Or something like that anyway :-))

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

contracycle

I really like the ideas around objects containing phlogiston and lightning-bearing clouds; combined with the Curse idea, which is superb, theres the seed of a whole new approach to magic emerging.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci