News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Post your spells here!

Started by MonkeyWrench, August 02, 2003, 05:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tralese

Ah, but now you are moving slightly away from the real scientific and going into the Fantasy Scientific involving Fire, Water, Earth, and Wind as the basic elements, or having things like "phlogiston" in all things.  
Mind you it is quite alright to go with this approach seeing as there are sorcerers and there is Magic and Fey and all the things that make up a fantasy setting.
I just thought that in the case of Riddle of Steel the magic was trying to remain "reality" scientific in it's delivery.

I do like the whole idea of lightning being gathered in the clouds and being able to use vision and movement to draw them down on people.  This is really making things interesting.  I'll post more about that in a bit.
Tralese
"Work before you play, BUT PLAY!"

tralese

CONJURE STORM
Spell of Three
CTN = 11 (11)
T) 1, R) 3, V) 3, D) 1, L) 3
Vagary: Movement 2, Vision 2
Effects: Maneuver 2, Clairvoyance 2
Duration: 1 hour per success

With this spell the sorcerer uses his vision to find all the clouds within a 100-mile radius and brings them all in one spot using Movement.  Then using movement, the sorcerer will start to stir the clouds into a furry bringing upon the world below a nice little storm.

This spell combines really well with the following Lightning spell

CALL LIGHTNING
Spell of One
CTN = 7 (7 seconds)
T) 3, R) 2, V) 0, D) 0, L) 2
Vagary: Movement 2
Effects: Maneuver 2
Duration: Instantaneous

This spell requires an existing storm within eyesight of the sorcerer.  As the sorcerer looks up to the clouds in the storm he can summon the lightning built up in there and have it shoot down upon a single target.  The damage done will be 7 + successes minus the target's TO attribute

There you go.  Seeing as the Call Lightning actually requires an existing visible storm, it would not require the vision vaguary to activate.  However, without a storm there is no Call Lightning...
The reason I have for not adding the vision is that we have had quite a few storms lately here in Ohio, and I have seen many bolts of lightning shoot down, or simply the clouds flair up with a discharge of energy.  So I asuume that a sorcerer could easily wait for the opportune moment to cast the Call Lightning.  Given that the storm is nasty enough, you will see a lot of energy built up.
Tralese

tralese

And more...

FIST Of STEEL
Spell of One
CTN = 5 (5 seconds)
T) 3, R) 0, V) 0, D) 0, L) 2
Vagary: Sculpture 2
Effects: Sculpture 2
Duration: Instantaneous (but can be maintained)

With this spell the Sorcerer transforms his arm into a metal weapon of his choice that he can use as a melee weapon using his CP.  The damage done by the weapon is equal to the equivalent weapon employed (see weapon charts for details).

SPIDER PAWS
Spell of One
CTN = 6 (6 seconds)
T) 3, R) 0, V) 0, D) 0, L) 3
Vagary: Sculpture 3
Effects: Sculpture 3

The sorcerer can use this spell to have thick hard hair follicles grow out of his fingers and feet, which he can then use to climb up any surface.
Tralese

tralese

And again...

WALL OF BRAMBLES
Spell of Three
CTN = 11 (110 seconds)
T) 2, R) 2, V) 2, D) 1, L) 4
Vagary: Growth 3, Sculpture 2
Effects: Maturing 3, Intricacy 2
Duration: 1 hour per success

Another really hard spell to pull off due to the high CTN, and it requires the use of actual seeds from known prickly bushes such as black berry bushes.  The sorcerer uses growth at level 3 to make the seeds grow really quickly and then uses sculpture to shape the brambles into a wall.  The wall will spread for 30 feet across and will take 11 + success man rounds to break through (i.e.: should the sorcerer have 2 successes it would take 13+ men to tear through the wall in minute, or 7 men to tear through it in 2 minutes, or 1 man could tear through it in 13 minutes).

BLURRY VISION
Spell of One
CTN = 6 (6 seconds)
T) 3, R) 2, V) 0, D) 0, L) 1
Vagary: Glamour 1
Effects: Realism 1

With this spell the sorcerer can choose up to his MA attribute in targets.  Each of those must attempt to resist the spell using their PER at a TN of 6 + successes.  If they fail to resist their vision becomes blurry and they will have a hard time focusing on anything effectively reducing their CP by 6 + successes – PER.
Tralese

Salamander

Quote from: traleseAh, but now you are moving slightly away from the real scientific and going into the Fantasy Scientific involving Fire, Water, Earth, and Wind as the basic elements, or having things like "phlogiston" in all things.  
Mind you it is quite alright to go with this approach seeing as there are sorcerers and there is Magic and Fey and all the things that make up a fantasy setting.
I just thought that in the case of Riddle of Steel the magic was trying to remain "reality" scientific in it's delivery.

I do like the whole idea of lightning being gathered in the clouds and being able to use vision and movement to draw them down on people.  This is really making things interesting.  I'll post more about that in a bit.

I think that it would be best of we had the "scientific" explanation available for the players to use as to describing the effects of the spell, but I think the idea of using the elements/phlogiston/humours etc could be how the Character would look at it. So while we would know the er... REAL reason, the characters would notice such minor empirical concepts such as Wolfen so wonderfully described or use the "scientific" concepts of the time to put paid to the spell they are making.
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Irmo

Quote from: traleseAh, but now you are moving slightly away from the real scientific and going into the Fantasy Scientific involving Fire, Water, Earth, and Wind as the basic elements, or having things like "phlogiston" in all things.  

Actually, there is nothing wrong in this context with using phlogiston. Mind you, it has of course been debunked in the meantime, but it was believed to be the key to combustion by reputed chemists for quite a while. That was, until the role of oxygene was demonstrated.

tralese

Actually, there is nothing wrong in this context with using phlogiston. Mind you, it has of course been debunked in the meantime, but it was believed to be the key to combustion by reputed chemists for quite a while. That was, until the role of oxygene was demonstrated.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I didn't know about that fact.  I guess it's hard to make heads or tails of it, seeing as air is not something that you really see, and neither is oxygen.  So I guess it's up to the Sceneshal to decide whether one can manipulate something you cannot see with the naked eye without the use of the vision Vagary.
Jake seems to think it is plausible, and if that is the case then starting a fire or creating lightning should not require vision, but simply movement at level 2.  If you find it overpowered (which by the way all magic in this system is overpowered and is intended to be that way) then you can always say it requires movement 3 to up the CTN a little more.
Tralese

Irmo

Quote from: tralese

Thanks for pointing that out.  I didn't know about that fact.  I guess it's hard to make heads or tails of it, seeing as air is not something that you really see, and neither is oxygen.  So I guess it's up to the Sceneshal to decide whether one can manipulate something you cannot see with the naked eye without the use of the vision Vagary.
Jake seems to think it is plausible, and if that is the case then starting a fire or creating lightning should not require vision, but simply movement at level 2.  If you find it overpowered (which by the way all magic in this system is overpowered and is intended to be that way) then you can always say it requires movement 3 to up the CTN a little more.

Yeah, I agree that it is an issue that can be left to the individual Senechal's taste of how much science he wants to include in his campaigns, and how much current state of the art knowledge that is supposed to be versus historic scientific opinion. Mind you, as a scientist, I find a whole bunch of square pegs hammered into round holes in the 'scientific' explanations in the magic rules. I mostly roll my eyes and accept that the effect describes happens, regardless of the explanation :)

For a brief overview of the Phlogiston theory, cf. eg. http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0838824.html
http://www.english.upenn.edu/~jlynch/Frank/Contexts/phlog.html
http://web.fccj.org/~ethall/phlogist/phlogist.htm
And for a lengthy defense of Phlogiston by the discoverer of oxygen (some of the funniest trivia in science history that the discoverer of oxygen died convinced of the phlogiston theory) at
http://webserver.lemoyne.edu/faculty/giunta/phlogiston.html

Rick

Good point.  Hint:  Spin a square and get a circle.  Better yet, spin a cube  in all three Cartesian planes and get a sphere.