News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Card game ptest (GenCon Forge-ies take note)

Started by btrc, August 06, 2003, 08:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btrc

I mentioned to a few people at the booth that I was working on a quite rude little card game, and there was a bit of interest... Well, it is to the point where I'll be looking for playtesters.

Qualifications:
1) Must be comfortable with the underbelly of the English language
2) Know what you're getting into with a game called "F*ck this!"
3) Preferably (but not required to be) someone who was at GenCon at the Forge booth.
4) Willing to cough up for a pack of Avery 5377 or similar inkjet/laser business cards (3.5" wide x 2" high, 10 cards per sheet) to print the cards on.
5) Realize that you will join me in the newly opened 10th circle of Hell if your name is associated with this game.

Email me privately at btrc@btrc.net to be included. Questions about the game to this thread.

Concept: Think of it as a really rude sort of crossword puzzle, where you are making phrases instead of words ("Emasculate monkey-spanking self-abusers in a cheap hotel with a road flare" would be a tame one), with a number of means of getting points, and various rules on what connects to what, and how.

Greg Porter
BTRC guy

Ron Edwards

Whee-ha! I'm sure I speak for many in saying that a card game called Fuck This is long, long overdue.

Here's my question: how do ya win?

Best,
Ron

btrc

Well, in the spirit of the best possible game design, I'm not sure *winning* is necessary to have fun... However, you get points for completing phrases based on the value of the cards, you can replace less rude cards with more rude cards and take the old cards for points, and there are special cards that trigger on certain events, also worth points. High score wins. Though there is an optional rule that allows an instant victory if you complete a phrase worth a certain large amount of points (which will end up being both scatological *and* blasphemous, given the point structure of the cards).

So, Ron, should I count you in?

Greg
BTRC guy

ethan_greer

My plate's pretty full at the moment, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in being a part of this... How long does a game take, and what do you expect from your playtesters, aside from the cheese for the card sheets?

btrc

Ethan,
Playtesters should be able to:

1) Get a few other lost souls together to play the game a few times. I think the game dynamic will require 3-6 players for best effect.
2) Report to me on what works and what doesn't.
3) Make suggestions for improving the negative (I have some initial thoughts on what might be slow in the game, but I want to see how it plays out rather than giving the playtesters preconceptions).
4) And of course, let me know which rude words I have somehow overlooked.

Right now, I probably have far too many cards in the game, so I will at some point need to winnow the list to the "best" selection. Comments on what should stay and what should go are also appreciated.

Greg
BTRC guy

Clay

Sounds like an effing hillarious game to me. I'll have to hunt to see who I can find to play it though.  Let me check around before I commit to playtest.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

btrc

It looks like I'll actually have an emailable version of the game (a couple meg pdf) ready by Friday, so if you pass an Office Max or someplace you can get some Avery 5377 or compatible cards (3.5" wide x 2" high, 10 per sheet), you can test the game out this weekend.

Greg
BTRC guy

DP

Such language! Do you kiss your mother with that tongue?

Good on you, Greg. Maybe this'll be bigger than MWWG!

Since you mentioned GenCon, was the title inspired by the infamously long lines?
Dave Panchyk
Mandrake Games

btrc

>Since you mentioned GenCon, was the title inspired by the infamously long lines?

No, but it would be worth mentioning that you -can- make the phrase "Kill Puppies for Satan" with the cards (though I think you get more points if you use kittens).

Greg
BTRC guy[/i]

Daniel Solis

Can't wait to see the PDF and playtest it. :)
¡El Luchacabra Vive!
-----------------------
Meatbot Massacre
Giant robot combat. No carbs.

btrc

The first draft of F*ck this! is in my out queue at this moment, so if you contacted me about playtesting, it should be in your in box by 9:30am eastern time on Friday.

Have a nice weekend!

Greg

btrc

Argh! Or should I say "F*cking Argh!".

Vincent Baker (lumpley@earthlink.net) wants in and I *just* spent an hour sending the file out over my crappy rural copper phone line. Can someone who got the file and has a decent upload speed email him a copy. Otherwise he'll be left in the lurch until tthe next round.

Greg
BTRC guy

lumpley

ethan_greer

lumpley

Got it, thanks Ethan.

Nice typeface, Greg.  A quick flip through (all I dare at work) and it looks pretty good.

-Vincent