News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Love, Fear, and Reason settings

Started by Jeffrey Miller, August 07, 2003, 02:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffrey Miller

As noted in the text, these three items, when dialed in 'correctly' cna adjust the probable length of the game.  Having only experienced 2-3 demos of MLWM at GenCon, and thinking about running 2 single session games (3-5 hours) and a 3 session (9-15 hours) of MLWM, what has been the general experience as to what effect, both on game length and perhaps "flavor" has various values for these had?  

I imagine starting with 0 Love and high values for Fear and Reason are recipies for long games, but what about disparity between Fear and Reason?  I'm really intruiged about game dials, and how they can effect game play.. :D

-jeffrey-

Mike Holmes

The higher that Fear is above Reason, the longer the game will be, in addition to their particular height. A 3 Reason 6 Fear game ought to go, oh, maybe just a bit too long. ;-)

Mike.
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I want to call people's attention to the way that, given the rules for how the pools are calculated, Fear - Reason will yield a single die whenever:

a) Fear is greater than Reason by 1.

b) Fear and Reason are equal.

c) Reason is greater than Fear by any amount at all.

So the real "relationship" between Reason and Fear for many different rolls in the game takes on quantitative meaning above 1 only when Fear is 2 greater than Reason or higher.

Best,
Ron

Alan

So what settings would people recommend for a 3-hour demo session.  In particular, one that has a reasonable chance of resolving.

I seem to recall Paul giving advice to start each character in a demo with 2 or so love points, and start play with the master sending minions after relationships.

But what Fear and Reason to use to give a good chance of endgame in 3 hours?  4 and 3?
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com